Mobile CI-4+ in Cummins 5.9L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a 2006 RAM 3500 with the 5.9L Cummins, 6spd Manual. Years ago I bought a pallet of Delo CI-4+ 15-40 in 5 gallon pails. I did this when the industry first made the move to CJ oils, and all the concerns about the pre-2007 diesels at that time. So my truck has only run CI-4+ oil since it was manufactured. This was the recommended oil spec by Cummins at time of manufacture.

I am down to my last pail of Delo CI-4+. In the last few years Chevron stopped making the CI-4+.

I found that Mobile still makes a Delvac conventional oil in CI-4+.
https://www.mobil.com/en/mobil-delvac/products/engine-oils/mobil-delvac/mobil-delvac-mx-f2

So I'm thinking of sticking with the CI-4+ and not having to switch to the the CK oils.

Thoughts?

MileHi

If you can get the Delvac MX, run it. It's been on my list of oils to try, but I've been too lazy to go to a Mobil distributor to get it.
I just run Rotella T6 that is easily available at Walmart, and it does fine.

Originally Posted By: Invasivore
Just run UOA or 2 before running out. Then switch to CK-4 to see if there is a major difference. I doubt you will see any change.

That's what I would do as well. I bought seven cases of the Schaeffers 15w40 CI-4 about 10 years ago and down to my last case. If you can find the Mobil Delvac MX for a decent price then go for it but there are some really good oils to choose from at a fairly decent price.

I called AgCrazy. They have it at $57 for 5 gal pail, but charge a lot for shipping, so no real savings unless you could pick it up from them. The Lubricant Store offers free shipping on orders over $300, so at 5 5-gal pails they send it to you at no charge. $72 for 5 gals for the Delvac MX F2.

I'll look at the Amsoil.

Note: The oil that is CI-4+ is the Delvac MX F2. The MX without the F2 is a CI-4 which is not the same spec.

Thanks for the great replys.

Thanks m37charlie for those tips. The TRC Prospec III looks very good from their info. Plus its a synthetic, while the Delvac MX F2 is conventional. They tout a TBN of 15, which is the highest I've seen. The Amsoil CI-4+ rates a TBN of 12.

The Amsoil is $42 a gallon. Ouch.

The Delvac MX F2 is $14.50/gal.from Lubricant Store.

I will call Texas Refining on Monday to learn the price of the Prospec III.

BTW, the Cen-Pe-Co S3 is a CI-4 spec, not CI-4+. From what I saw...

Just spoke to Texas Refining. Their Pro-Spec III CI-4+ synthetic blend is $133.65 for a 6(six) gal pail, if you spend over $375, making it $22.25 per gal. $148.50 is their retail for 6 gal pails. They also provide no-cost (shipping only) used oil analysis samples if you are running their products, through Wearcheck. They sell primarily to truckers, farmers, construction, excavation, light truck owners etc., - the folks running pre-2007 diesels.

I'm going to go with them and try for extended drain intervals using their oil sampling service. Want to stick with the CI-4+.

https://www.texasrefinery.com/products/engine-oils/pro-spec-iii-synthetic-blend/

Seeing as these isn't much info on this oil, i got some from a kinda local place to me it's 60.13 for case of 4 gallon jugs. they offer free delivery on Tuesdays. so next time I'll save the drive to go get it.
anyhow i picked up a few cases and will get a VOA done asap. and try and post results here. then sometime this weekend it's going into my 08 deleted cummins with a Donaldson filter.
at that price point, it's hard not to go with it. as the Valvoline i usually run is 14.95 gallon... so why not ge the older good stuff.. will see how my UOA look after a few changes tot eh new stuff.

I don't know if it's still the case but Napa All Fleet 15w40 that I purchased about 2 years ago on a killer sale at Napa for $7.99/gal is rated CI-4+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back