Mobil115W50 3700mi 03Nissan Frontier Supercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Increasing trend for lead numbers is troubling.
Take the dist out clean it and reinstall it if possible.
Flush the engine with a short OCI(use the recommended oil). Take it to the dealer for an oil change and later send another sample in.

I wouldn't sell this to someone else if indeed it has bearing issue. That is not right. But that is just me.

Last edited:
The supercharger was not replaced, but was inspected by me and the technician and found to be in good order. The M-62 blower has coated rotors (teflon coating?)which can flake off and cause problems. My rotors and bearings in the supercharger showed no signs of problems.
The only possible explanation that I have (outside of a bad engine from Nissan to begin with)is the contamination from the original distributor drive gear that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Cleaning the distributor drive at this point (~10K miles) is too little too late. If this is the culprit, most likely damage to the bearings is already done. I asked the technician to please carefully clean the distributor drive gear for this very reason. I don't know for a fact if it was cleaned and cleaned properly.
Perhaps he forgot, after all, we are all human.

Most likely the dist it is not the only source (if any) since numbers are growing anyway. I said that just to make a fresh start. I did not know that amount of lead can do so much damage.

This oil is absolutely fine in this engine. Members of this forum who make a claim that the oil isn't right are missing alot of crucial information.

The owners manual will spec/show that 15w50 is suitable for certain usages and temperatures, of which yours is fine.

We use 5w30 M1 high mileage in our 03 S/C'd Xterra. give me a few minutes and I will find our latest UOA and the info from the owners manual.

The Owners Manual states to "use API SJ or SL, energy conserving oil." Ilsac GF-1 GF-II and GF-III oil can also be used.

RECOMMENDED SAE VISCOSITY NUMBER

Quote:
-SAE 5W-30 viscosity oil is preferred for all temperatures. SAE 10W-30 or SAE 10W-40 viscosity oils may be used if the ambient temperature is above 0*F(-18*C).

I cant seem to find our latest UOA, but here is one from a while back. I think this was Amsoil ASL

Quote:
The owners manual will spec/show that 15w50 is suitable for certain usages and temperatures, of which yours is fine.

15w50 is not listed anywhere in the owners manual

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back