Mobil115W50 3700mi 03Nissan Frontier Supercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a factory replacement engine VG33ER (supercharged)that has been carefully broken in with short OCI. The most recent oil analysis showed a mysterious spike in lead. I have used no additives and only premium fuel as this supercharged engine calls for.
This engine is a warranty replacement engine from Nissan(brand new crate motor, not a rebuild from the core bank) with currently less than 10,000 miles on it since it was installed. Nissan was reluctant to replace it but did due to a bad rod bearing at 48,000 miles.
I am concerned with the high lead levels that I am going to be faced with another rod bearing issue soon.
This truck has been babied.
What do you think about the lead levels? High enough to be concerned?
Also what about the oil, would Mobil1 5w-30 be a better choice?
BlackstoneReport001.jpg

You should never see lead this high ever. I would start trying to get them to repair it now. I don't think anything you did caused it either. I see lead has been increasing. Talk to Nissan about it now. Maybe the factory had a bad run?

Last edited:
Nissan put up quite a fight the first time but I did finally prevail.
I can only imagine what they will say when I contact them again.

Was the engine spec'd for 15W50? If not get it out of there if you plan on going back to Nissan with a Warranty claim on that engine. I know guys are going to say M1 15W50 isn't to blame, but if that engine is calling for 5W30 that is all Nissan needs to get off the hook. Mobil too for that matter. JMO

If lead is high with 15w50 image how high it will be with 5w30. Fight now or sell. I was in the same sitution back in 01.

I feel sorry for you. It seems you have had rather bad luck with this thing. sure is abnormal. contact them quickly and show them this blackstone report. Or just sell it before something really messes up in the engine.

I wouldnt show them that report if that is the wrong viscosity. As mentioned, they will probably look for anything to get out of warranting it again if there is indeed a problem.

Ok, first off wrong oil for the vehicle.

2nd don't go by a SINGLE BAD UOA. TRENDING is your friend.

So what I'd do is USE what the MFG calls for IN THE MANUAL and do a OCI with that oil, then change and do another UOA at the END of the 2nd OCI with the CORRECT oil.

Then start to determine what/where you are at.

Mobil 1 15w-50 wt is the one of the last oils I would have used.
21.gif

Do the above and then lets talk/worry.

Take care, Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

Does the Nissan VQ have the same oil specs as the VG? This is out of the 1990-1996 Z32 FSM.
mtqcnk.jpg

Last edited:
One possible explanation is that the replacement engine was contaminated with bearing material from the original engine. Bearing metal was all through the original engine and the distributor drive gear is the only part that was reused on the replacement engine. If the distributor drive gear was not properly cleaned of all galled bearing metal, it is possible that is the cause of my high lead levels due to bearing wear.

Imo M1 15W50 is one of the best oils on the planet. I`d think it would be one of the perfect choices for your supercharged V6.

This is the third UOA and as you can see the lead numbers have been steadily increasing. My concern is that time is running out on my warranty. As this vehicle is not my daily driver, by the time I have enough miles to determine a trend, I may well be out of warranty with a bad rod bearing.
I think that I will change to 5W30 even though I would have thought that 15w50 would have been a good choice for this engine.
I have always been very meticulous in the care and maintenance of this engine and vehicle.

Well it is going up. I think something is wrong but the problem (and Nissan will remind you of this) is you are using the wrong oil and manufacturers are quick to point out ANYTHING that gets them off the hook.

Call up Blackstone and have them run it again just to be safe.

ANY chance you fueled where lead got into the fuel?

Bill

Unlikely fuel with lead is the culprit since I always fill up at the same station and keep every receipt with mileage noted.
I should also note that this vehicle is used only in warm weather, mostly in the summer and never when the temp is below freezing.
Going to 5w30 for sure.

The motor came with a new blower too, or did they swap yours over?

I only ask, because if there is an issue with the blower (warped rotor, whatever), you could be ingesting metal, which would kill your bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back