mobil1 yields 50% less timing chain stretch than a standard diesel oil in MB engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

A well-respected Mercedes-Benz technical advisor, who is well knows in the MB clubs, MBZ forums as well as mercedeshop forums has stated from experience (as well as talking with numberous mobil tibologists) that mobil1 15w-50 is the best oil for the indirect injection MB automobile engines.
From his actual experience, these indirect MB engines have displayed a huge difference in timimg chain stretch, in that degrees of stretch per 100k miles was almost doubled when using dino oils as compared to synthetics.
It was also suggested that a CF level additive package would provide excellent protection at qa lever that is correct for these engines, in that the newer (CI-4) specs are for allowng protection from effects of EGR systems, etc over long term drains. In making the oil to deal with the EGR requirements, etc., some protection from additives, I suppose may be compromised as compared to even CF oils.
So it was stated that delvac1 and mobil1 15w-50 were excellent oils for this car, with m1 being thebetter of the two because of its viscosity being a preferred 15w- and its CF formulation being correct for the engine.

Any comments?
Thanks,

JMH

Do you know which 'flavor' of 15w-50 (TriSyn, SS, etc) he had this experience with. I think the TS and SS are quite different, at least in the xW-30 oils.

Dave

Since the diference was seen over 100k, I think its had all the varieties of M1 that have come around...

JMH

Don't the MB diesels have an EGR. My OM617 does.

The CI-4 spec will provide improved soot dispersion(quality and quantity) and reduced high and low temp deposits. How could improvements such as these be anything but positive?

quote:

It was also suggested that a CF level additive package would provide excellent protection at qa lever that is correct for these engines,

What is qa lever?

My 84 300D showed zero chain stretch at 149K. OCI's were 4 to 6K on cheap dino 15W-40. Cheap HDEO's have protected the timing chain superbly in this engine. Maybe it was the little old ladies driving style that kept the chain from stretching.
smile.gif

Sorry, qa lever= a level
the 617 engines do have an egr valve. Between that and the prechamber design, they dump a lot of soot into the oil. ~.8-1% per 3000 miles.

My 83 has about 3 degrees at 217k (read by linng up the cam tower and reading it at the harmonic balancer, I did not use the more accurate dial gauge method). It is driven gently, and runs great, getting me 27.5-30mpg consistently.

JMH

My '81 240D has over 400,000 miles and the pump and cam timing are still in spec. Oil since new has been XD-3, 15W-40. Oil changes at 5000 or six months. It's really hard to beat a diesel oil for wear in either a gas or a diesel engine. The high dispersant level is nice for cleanliness as well. Nice features of the OM-615 engine are the built-in bypass filter and oil thermostat which keeps the oil temp at 185.

quote:

Originally posted by AV8R:
My '81 240D has over 400,000 miles and the pump and cam timing are still in spec. Oil since new has been XD-3, 15W-40. Oil changes at 5000 or six months. It's really hard to beat a diesel oil for wear in either a gas or a diesel engine. The high dispersant level is nice for cleanliness as well. Nice features of the OM-615 engine are the built-in bypass filter and oil thermostat which keeps the oil temp at 185.

What kind of bypass filter does it have??

I've generally seen less wear with the 15w-50 in high performance gas engines, however the superior soot dispersion of D1 is desirable even in a non-turbocharged diesel.

The oil analysis data I've seen from the 300D and 300SDL models shows that Delvac 1 provides better valvetrain and piston/cylinder protection and holds up better with regards to TBN and viscosity retention.

I'd use Delvac 1 in this application ....

Tooslick

quote:

What kind of bypass filter does it have??

The filter is a canister type with a bypass section at the top and full flow at the bottom. Oil is pumped up into the canister and naturaly the great majority of the oil goes through the full flow section(bottom third of the filter). The top 2/3rd of the filter is made of a different media to trap smaller particles. I don't have any info on the effeciency. The Mann filter I have on my desk says "Micro Top", but no other specs. The filter is huge, measuring about 3 inches in diameter and 8 inches long. Very simple way to get better oil filtration.

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:
Do you know which 'flavor' of 15w-50 (TriSyn, SS, etc) he had this experience with. I think the TS and SS are quite different, at least in the xW-30 oils.

Dave

Looks like the main accent was put on the used grade, i.e. 15W-50. As for formulation, think such a judgment could be made only based on a long experience, so apparently it was mostly TriSyn that performed well in MB engines.

Tooslick: Do you have any comparative data for D1 and D-1300 15W-40 for us economically-challenged, but compulsive oil changers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back