Mobil1 AFE 0w30 - 2018 Toyota RAV4 - 9,520 miles

First UOA from a somewhat new to us RAV4 (purchased July 2022). Pleased with the results. I’ve got Amsoil SS 5w30 in it now and I’ll send it in to compare with the M1 this summer. The oil filter I used was a Toyota OEM off the shelf from Walmart.
43059568-8476-442E-A175-44E49E393804.jpeg

Pleased with the results? Tsk tsk.

At this horrible wear rate your engine will wear out at 4,724,826.8 miles.

What's wrong with you.

She'll last you as long as something else fails or some phone glued to face person totals it out. I'd never worry about engine wear with this one.

With that rate of wear a 20k run is easily in the cards as a real option. With some good quality "Full synthetic" of course as your running. Heck amsoils 25k oil promotion would work too. Nice score on this ride. It appears the new "break in" wear has gone away & poses no issue. Thanks for the report!

Pleased with the results? Tsk tsk.

At this horrible wear rate your engine will wear out at 4,724,826.8 miles.

What's wrong with you.

She'll last you as long as something else fails or some phone glued to face person totals it out. I'd never worry about engine wear with this one.
😷 Chill dude - he’s switching brands 😷

First UOA from a somewhat new to us RAV4 (purchased July 2022). Pleased with the results. I’ve got Amsoil SS 5w30 in it now and I’ll send it in to compare with the M1 this summer. The oil filter I used was a Toyota OEM off the shelf from Walmart.
View attachment 148672
How long did it take to drive those 9520 miles? The viscosity of AFE 0W30 is known to drop a lot. I saw it drop to 8.6 in my 03 Civic over 4300 miles / 9 months. No direct injection, no fuel dilution.

How long did it take to drive those 9520 miles? The viscosity of AFE 0W30 is known to drop a lot. I saw it drop to 8.6 in my 03 Civic over 4300 miles / 9 months. No direct injection, no fuel dilution.
That was a 5-month run: October - March. We had a few trips mixed in there, plus my wife drives it between Indy and Louisville and back 3-4 times a month.

I didn’t know Walmart stocked OEM filters other than Motorcraft.
Edit: just looked online and sure enough says in stock at my local Walmart. Huh.

View attachment 148672
What was used before this? If M1 was changed out, what was in prior. I only ask as it seems the Amsoil has a slightly better sump to go in then Mobil. I got no skin in it, but to keep it all consistent this isn't gonna really be as accurate as it could or should be.

But wait, that car was designed for 0W-20, you are not following what manufacturers recommendation using a thick oil and will have flow issues and increased start up wear.(Sarcasm)

Nice UOA!
Apparently maybe not so much. I ran Redline Ow20 and it's thicker than many standard 5w20&5w30 oils. Further, BG recommendation is 0w30 for many recommendations of 20 and 30wts. Amsoil 0w30 probably outsells their 0w20 because people have been luck and success with these 0-30s. I used to question it at first but now you've got Exxon Mobil, Redline oil, BG oil, Amsoil and high performance lubricants all making a 0w30 I'm sure the majority of them are going to say and have good feedback that it's perfectly fine to use this oil. A long live the 0w30!

Apparently maybe not so much. I ran Redline Ow20 and it's thicker than many standard 5w20&5w30 oils. Further, BG recommendation is 0w30 for many recommendations of 20 and 30wts. Amsoil 0w30 probably outsells their 0w20 because people have been luck and success with these 0-30s. I used to question it at first but now you've got Exxon Mobil, Redline oil, BG oil, Amsoil and high performance lubricants all making a 0w30 I'm sure the majority of them are going to say and have good feedback that it's perfectly fine to use this oil. A long live the 0w30!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230409_211959_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_211959_Brave.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20230409_212021_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_212021_Brave.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 29
What was used before this? If M1 was changed out, what was in prior. I only ask as it seems the Amsoil has a slightly better sump to go in then Mobil. I got no skin in it, but to keep it all consistent this isn't gonna really be as accurate as it could or should be.
This was the first change I’d done on it. Assuming whatever was in it was bulk from Toyota dealer we purchased it from.

But wait, that car was designed for 0W-20, you are not following what manufacturers recommendation using a thick oil and will have flow issues and increased start up wear.(Sarcasm)

Nice UOA!
Thanks! I’ll stick with my 30’s, especially if the owners manuals for the same engine in other countries say you can use up to some 40 weights.

@Pat in Speedway — with the amount of highway miles it’s seeing, call it a day at 10k miles and change it when the maintenance light comes on the second time for a nice clean & healthy engine. 👍🏼

Back