Mobil1 5W-40 T&SUV, 4700 mi, 1999 Saab 9-3 2.0L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MO

Last interval was 6 winter months (in Boston) with M1 0W-40; this was 6 summer months with the 5W-40. The climate change means this isn't a completely fair comparison, but the 5W-40 results are very encouraging. I'm certainly happy with them. Four new quarts of the T&SUV is back in for another 5000 miles, this time in colder weather, and this time with an STP filter. I'll report back in a few more months.

info: Saab OEM oil filter (probably Mann), K&N air filter, mostly short-trip driving, open it up from time to time.

concerns: I'm losing coolant slowly (maybe 16oz/5000mi). It doesn't seem to be going into the oil, though.

-

previous UOA topic is here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002626

Looks like you have found an excellent oil for your turbo. Hard to do any better in my opinion. If I had a turbo this oil would be my choice also. Excellent report.

I had a 2002 9-3 SE and used this oil, along with a M-1 or PureOne oil filter. I used 5k OCIs as you are doing and I'd stay with that OCI. Regardless of the advances in turbo design and the water jackets supposedly cooling the turbo and limiting coking, that engine still gets HOT!

Unfortunately, I never did a UOA (pre-BITOG), but I never doubted the oil's ability to handle this engine.

My bigger concern was the leaking tranny seal (5-speed) at 37k and guessing when the DIC was going to fry.

I'm sure you're familiar with www.saabnet.com

A must for any Saaber.

Go to the 9-3 forum and research your coolant leak under the "search" feature. If you don't find anything (and you likely will), post a thread for advice.

It was the Saabers at saabnet.com that got me onto BITOG. So everyone can just blame those quirky Saab drivers for me being here!

Yes, I found BITOG through Saabnet as well. I do spend plenty of time there too
smile.gif

I just brought up the coolant leak because in trying to diagnose it, I was wondering whether it's been going into the oil. From the results above, it looks like it's not, which is hopefully a good sign (as in, I hopefully don't need a new head gasket). For those Saabers on the board...yes, I retorqued--actually, replaced--the headbolts (see previous UOA discussion, link above). The coolant leak started sometime after that.

I've also been through the tranny seal (replaced driver's side inner driver) and I carry a spare DIC in the trunk. And I've been through the heater box problem (manual box) too...the good news is there really aren't any other major issues with these cars, so I'm looking forward to the next few hundred thousand miles .

Matt

I may have misspoken...it seems wear was reduced by 50%-70% compared to the Mobil 1, 0w-40, rather than the mere 25%-40% I had predicted in the previous thread. LOL!

I think the 5w-40 vs 0w-40 issue is pretty much settled, at least in terms of wear protection.

Tooslick

Hi,
Ted you said this;
"I think the 5w-40 vs 0w-40 issue is pretty much settled, at least in terms of wear protection."

Oh well it is all settled then. One subjective comment from you Ted and your proclamation is delivered lock stock and barrel!
wink.gif

All that is left to do Ted is to advise Mercedes Benz and Porsche and those others who have Approved this viscosity oil that they were wrong. Oh, and advise the Oil Companies like Motul, FUCH, Castrol, Shell, Mobil and etc. too Ted as you have all the answers and they were all wrong!! Well according to you!!!!

Thanks so much Ted! Oh and please let us know what these organisations say when you give them your balanced and well researched summary Ted
Tell Ford, GM and AEHaas too - they will listen to you too I'm sure!

Doug
cheers.gif

While the 0w-40 is adequate, their are better choices (a 5w-40 M1/RL/Amsoil) A 0w-40 is simply trying to have the best of both worlds in terms of fuel efficiency (a big deal these days) and still protect like a 40wt. The 5w-40's clearly, IMHO, have shown to outperform API SM M1 0w-40.

I had a bad experience with Mobil 1 0w-40. I was using another synthetic 5w-40 or 10w-40 in my 850 Volvo Turbo wagon. I make frequent trips between San Diego and Phoenix. In the summer it can get to 120F+ and the trip is 400 miles one way at speeds of 80+ for a lot of the way and usually round trip in one day. I tried Mobil 1 0w-40 and the combination of oil temp rise and oil pressure drop caused the brain to block the A/C on two different trips. That was the end of the 0w-40. I switched back to the previous synthetic 5w-40 and it never happened again. I know that this might be a bit tough, considering the temps and the turbo, on the engine but isn't that what synthetic is for? The M1 0w-40 sheared down to a 20w per a uoa. It may work fine in other applications, but no more for me.

I'm sorry, but driving in that kind of heat sticks with you, you won't hear it any more. It happened before I found bitog or I would have posted the results. I think that Mobil 1 may be a bit thin in all viscosities and even shearing down there was probably no damage to the engine or the turbo, just the driver. I do have a sample that was taken after and it's going to Terry as part of a PurePower filter test that Terry and I are working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back