Mobil1 0W-40 ESP X3 • 4468mi • 2020 Camaro LT1 50k

First report on this "new to me" used Camaro I picked up. The LT1 (not LT9 as indicated in the report) 6.2 is DI so I wanted to go through OA for a more accurate fuel dilution report, but got a surprise with this really high oxidation. What are your thoughts? I'm glad I did an oil change when I did, and not at the 10k mile mark that is recommended. 5k mile tops from here on out.

Some back story, this car was on the lot at the dealer for a quite a few months through a very cold winter and I'm sure it got shuttled around the lot often, or taken out for lunch without the oil getting anywhere near hot. Could that be key to such high oxidation? In normal driving it typically only sees 200 degree oil temps driving back and forth to work. Otherwise I'm fairly pleased with the wear report.

Another 10qts of M1 0W40 ESP X3 went back in (need that Dexos approval for warranty coverage) along with an ACDelco PF64 oil filter.

Camaro report 5-15-24.jpg

@ScottyB
Oxidation is NOT necessarily high. What is the virgin oxidation # for this oil?

Some top tier motor oils have a high virgin oxidation # because of the ester goup4 synthetic base oil.

Interesting - I have no idea...might be able to dig that up from somewhere. In my ignorance I thought all oils started out very low to zero.

@ScottyB
I did a VOA of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 a few yrs ago and the virgin oxidation # was 33.

The virgin oxidation # of Valvoline Premium Blue "Restore" 10w30 is 110 :eek: . I mixed this oil with Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 and my mad scientist blend has a virgin oxidation # 45.

Oxidation is NOT necessarily high.

I agree. Lowest Cu, lowest Al, even fairly low Fe - nothing to
worry about.

Some top tier motor oils have a high virgin oxidation # because of the ester goup4 synthetic base oil.

Perhaps a typo. Ester base oils such as POE belong to group 5.
Group 4 is PAO only - with the least propensity to oxidation.

Yeah, just try testing it again. As others from this board had to remind me that Mobil seems to be low oxidation now when they went to SP rating but not sure how all of their products stack up. Maybe this oil was before that change.

It'll definitely be seeing more UOAs to build a trend.

I need to add something that I forgot to say, from what I have read here, and the experts here can chime in, do a few UOA's with this oil you are using. I think you will be very happy with this oil you are using.

I need to add something that I forgot to say, from what I have read here, and the experts here can chime in, do a few UOA's with this oil you are using. I think you will be very happy with this oil you are using.

That'll definitely be the case. I'm actually locked into this formulation for a while to maintain my warranty.

I wouldn't run diesel oil in the GDI Camaro engine.
Next time you shop 0w40, look for SP Approval. Walmart sells the (SP) Mobil-1 Euro 0w40.
This is not diesel oil. This oil is a special development for Porsche primarily and is the 911 factory fill including turbo, GT3, and Cup cars. It carries dexos2 for unknown reasons. It’s a better oil than the Euro FS for the engines which it’s specified for according to the program lead I talked to. It’s just a better version of the ESP Formula that became Supercar.

Reactions: jcy
Curious! What type of oil does the Owners Manual call for?
There's been no mention here this engine has been built for anything special on the road.
That's not a Porsche 911 BTW. You can call to find out why your oil carries Dexos 2.

Better is not always better for everyone. If ILSAC..... etc.... wanted to only carry the most stout oils, there wouldn't be approvals and certifications like Dexos1 / G2-G3. Every Owners Manual would suggest SL / SN Euro-type stout oil instead of SP - instead of Dexos 1.

I have no beef not using Dexos 1 BTW. I just stay clear of using SN / SL oils..... especially those that include diesel on the label.

The remaining topic here is all yours. If you have any other things to mention personally, PM me.

There's been no mention here this engine has been built for anything special on the road.
That's not a Porsche 911 BTW. You can call to find out why your oil carries Dexos 2.

Better is not always better for everyone. If ILSAC..... etc.... wanted to only carry the most stout oils, there wouldn't be approvals and certifications like Dexos1 / G2-G3. Every Owners Manual would suggest SL / SN Euro-type stout oil instead of SP - instead of Dexos 1.

I have no beef not using Dexos 1 BTW. I just stay clear of using SN / SL oils..... especially those that include diesel on the label.

The remaining topic here is all yours. If you have any other things to mention personally, PM me.
You have no idea what you’re on about. This oil is approved for the LT V8s that spec Dexos2. This oil is in fact ideal for this engine according to the manual. It’s also a lower calcium SN+ formula but this engine is naturally aspirated anyway so LSPI is zero concern.

Last edited:

5W-30 for street use only, or 0W-40 for heavy duty/track use. I enjoy the car and live in a hot climate so I have no interest in the 30 weight.

Oils must be Dexos2 approved to retain warranty coverage, which I have right now and want to keep. Here is a list although most of those oils have been discontinued. The only Dexos2 approved 0W-40 I can find off the shelf is either M1 ESP X3, or Supercar. I used Autozone's deals to get X3 for approx. $6/qt versus the normal $11/qt, or over $10/qt for Supercar.

Once my warranty is up, I'll move over to 5W-40 of whatever is robust and on sale.

First report on this "new to me" used Camaro I picked up. The LT1 (not LT9 as indicated in the report) 6.2 is DI so I wanted to go through OA for a more accurate fuel dilution report, but got a surprise with this really high oxidation. What are your thoughts? I'm glad I did an oil change when I did, and not at the 10k mile mark that is recommended. 5k mile tops from here on out.

Some back story, this car was on the lot at the dealer for a quite a few months through a very cold winter and I'm sure it got shuttled around the lot often, or taken out for lunch without the oil getting anywhere near hot. Could that be key to such high oxidation? In normal driving it typically only sees 200 degree oil temps driving back and forth to work. Otherwise I'm fairly pleased with the wear report.

Another 10qts of M1 0W40 ESP X3 went back in (need that Dexos approval for warranty coverage) along with an ACDelco PF64 oil filter.

View attachment 219492
That car got rode like a government mule while it was at that dealer. High Fe and oxidation would seem to indicate that it had some "track days" while on the lot.

That car got rode like a government mule while it was at that dealer. High Fe and oxidation would seem to indicate that it had some "track days" while on the lot.

Could be. Hopefully it shakes it off fine, because it lives a much more pampered life now....mostly easy highway miles with some fun drives thrown in here and there.

Can you post some pictures of the car? Thank you!
F0XyqcR.jpg

based on what information i can find, i believe it's only 1 of 45 camaros in this trim and rally green color with a 6 speed. potentially 1 of 1 based on the options and interior color. i never set out to get one with those figures in mind, it just fell in my lap and i just had to take it home with me!

Back