Mobil vs Amsoil; Your choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after reading some of the debates and research here on which is better, Amsoil or Mobil 1. I went to the Mobil website and nowhere was it stated that Mobil has the Ford License or approval, or any other auto manufacturers. So this blows the the warranty issues out the door. I did this because I want "the best" synthetic ATF for my 97 Infiniti Q45, with 56670 miles on it. I decided to try Mobil for this car. On the bottle it does not state that it's approved or license from any auto manfacturer. But, it does state recomended for use in GM, Ford,Chrysler and many imports.

What I think it's all boils down to what actually works in the car itself. People here have given the impression that it has this advantage over Amsoil if the car is still under warrenty which is not true. Both companies make quality products it just depends on whom your car's tranny likes. Next year I'll be changing my 04 Mercury over to Amsoil. Or maybe Redline.

I think you need to go back and look at the Mobil 1 spec sheet again. It does say "Approved for..." and then lists Ford Mercon, GM Dexron III, and others. It states "recommeded for" Chrysler applications, showing that this is not an approved ATF+4 fluid.

Does this "Approval" come from the manufacturer or from Mobil? I thought "Approved for" was a play on words. The bottle say "recommended for use in", and "Recommended by ExxonMobil for Chrysler automatic transmions." Did not make the distinction of any thing different. And yes you are correct.

Both Amsoil and Mobil 1 seem to work well in a wide variety of transmissions. I would'nt hesitate to use either one in a Nissan transmission. Are you doing a drain and fill or flush? This website is about results so let us know how your tranny performs with which ever "universal" synthetic you choose.

I put the new Multi Vehicle Mobi1 in my Ford minivan a few months ago. It shifts exactly the same as the factory fill. I plan to exchange 7 quarts and replace the filter every 25,000.

The key to changing the ATF is to get all the old fluid out and replace the filter (if applicable).

If you are just changing a portion of the ATF, then stick with whats in there and don't go using a synthetic ATF for the partial fill. All you do is weaken the synthetic ATF with the existing mineral ATF and they if you have some undesirable condtions, you will only blame the synthetic.

Its like going in to have you teeth cleaned and telling the dentist that you only want him to clean the top ones this time and will come back in a 6-months and have the bottoms cleaned.

Quote:

I think you need to go back and look at the Mobil 1 spec sheet again. It does say "Approved for..." and then lists Ford Mercon, GM Dexron III, and others. It states "recommeded for" Chrysler applications, showing that this is not an approved ATF+4 fluid.

G-Man, one thing I noticed about the Mobil ATF concerning Chrysler Spec...they state: "Recommended by ExxonMobil for Chrysler automatic transmissions." and at 7 bucks a quart in the store compaired to 9 bucks a qt. for Amsoil delivered...my choice would be the Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula
starwars.gif
However, I run Redline C+ in my Chrysler transmission for a little under 8 bucks delivered
popcorn.gif
Only a select few are approved by Chrysler.

Quote:

Does this "Approval" come from the manufacturer or from Mobil? I thought "Approved for" was a play on words. The bottle say "recommended for use in", and "Recommended by ExxonMobil for Chrysler automatic transmions." Did not make the distinction of any thing different. And yes you are correct.

Generallym when they say "Approved for" it's the real thing and the oil has been blessed by whoever controls the spec.

"Recommended for use in" and recommended by an oil company means the oil manufacturer thinks that it will work for that application and that they would like you to buy their product instead of an approved one.

Quote:

"Recommended for use in" and recommended by an oil company means the oil manufacturer thinks that it will work for that application and that they would like you to buy their product instead of an approved one.

Well at least you didn't write "feels"! Is the implication that the oil manufacturer (and additive manufacturers) didn't test the ATF in these applications? I can assure you - this is not the case. Many months (and sometimes years) of testing in the claimed applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back