Mobil synthetic vs havoline pro ds

Hey guy's,
If price is equal what 5w30 oil would be better? Mobil synthetic (not Mobil 1 regular mobil) Or havoline synthetic pro ds?
Thanks

I've used them both but this is less expensive and has better packaging;

images

I'd put them as being pretty much equal, Pro DS is known for being a good value oil, and Mobil Synthetic is Mobil's entry level synthetic, I'd say it's equivalent to Supertech or other house brands, looking at the specs the fresh Mobil seems to be a little thicker than the ProDS oils. Use either and you'll probably never know the difference. Get the ProDS if 6qt packaging is convenient, use Mobil if 5qt is more convenient, if it's bulk distribution for a shop then consider whether Mobil or Chevron is going to matter more to your customer base.

Hey guy's,
If price is equal what 5w30 oil would be better? Mobil synthetic (not Mobil 1 regular mobil) Or havoline synthetic pro ds?
Thanks
If you're following the car manual's oil change interval based on your driving type and you're honest (normal vs severe) the only question should be "what oil is cheapest and has the normal API and Dexos and whatever symbols on it."

But that's just my opinion.

I've used the Havoline Pro DS and got back a good looking report from Wix on it. The regular Mobil full Synthetic well my Walmart hardly ever has it in stock and when they do it is more than Mobil 1 that is on Rollback every time so I just don't go there.

Thanks for everyone who replied.
Reason I ask is because I'm currently running the pro d's (first time) and have lost at least a quart for this oci. I've run mostly Napa and harvest king for 10 years.

Mind you its mostly short trips(10mi round trip) and some idle time. Few wot runs. Here in Florida.

After 3.5k (fram ultra) miles I feel like the pro ds did a bit worse then old harvest king oil (maybe all things considered)
Was Hoping someone else had a comparison.
Probably going to grab the Mobil since its in stock and see how it burns/or not per oci

Thanks for everyone who replied.
I'm in Florida too. The heat likes to thin out oils a little bit. I wonder if humidity interferes with the MAF sensor and makes cars run a bit rich too. Anyhow, The Critic posted above how the Havoline Pro DS caused consumption in several vehicles and here you are. Where there's smoke, there's fire!
You could try an HDEO 5w40, Castrol, or Pennzoil too. Lots of options for that LS1

I'm in Florida too. The heat likes to thin out oils a little bit. I wonder if humidity interferes with the MAF sensor and makes cars run a bit rich too. Anyhow, The Critic posted above how the Havoline Pro DS caused consumption in several vehicles and here you are. Where there's smoke, there's fire!
You could try an HDEO 5w40, Castrol, or Pennzoil too. Lots of options for that LS1
Humidity.. You might be onto something.. Interestingly enough I've tried magntec and really disliked it in 5w30, I changed it out in like 2k miles! Engine is under 80k and runs good.

Yawn. Analysis paralysis. I’m sure the consumption examples in this thread were documented under stringent lab settings with carefully controlled variables. Oh, they weren’t? Go figure.

I’d use either one with confidence (and have). My choice would be based on your vehicles sump size.

Yawn. Analysis paralysis. I’m sure the consumption examples in this thread were documented under stringent lab settings with carefully controlled variables. Oh, they weren’t? Go figure.

I’d use either one with confidence (and have). My choice would be based on your vehicles sump size.
Thank you. By no means do I think my consumption was excessive, it just seems like more than I'm use to. I'm open to using pro ds again but just was curious if the base mobil could be a better option. I'm not too keen on the new "Providence" oil yet or I'd just go that route.

I'm sure the Havoline is fine. I don't like the new "lifelong" name it has now as I'm not sure what it means. I used the Mobil Super Synthetic for a while when I found it at a good price. No problems.

My current cars haven't burned any Pro DS when I have used it. My previous Sonata would burn about a half quart of 10w30 Pro DS in 7500 mile runs, but it all happened in the first 3K miles and then it wouldn't move for the last 4.5K. Go figure.

I've used Havoline Pro DS 5w30 the last 2 intervals.
3rd change is due.
But I have found a cheaper Havoline Pro DS 5w30 bottle which is labelled in Brazilian without the Dexos1 letters on label which is odd. Previous bottles said Made in USA with Dexos 1.
Could the USA bottle be specific for USA but both are identical really?
I'm in Uruguay btw.

Will this Pro DS (Brazilian)still be fine in my Chevy Aveo G3 2012 4 cylinder ecotec engine?

Thanks

Attachments

• havoline5w30.jpg
    havoline5w30.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 19
  • dexos1.jpg
    dexos1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 19
Back