Mobil Super 5K Caused Leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Taurus with 3.0 OHV Vulcan. Currently has 206,000 miles. OCIs at 5000 miles.

In the past I used synthetic until some leaks appeared. I used Maxlife, and leaks disappeared. Then started using MS5K for several changes and everything was good. Got a deal on Mag1 conventional and used it for 3 OCIs. Just put MS5K in the last change (205,000 miles) and within a couple of weeks an oil leak developed (re-developed?) at the front of the engine.

Coincidence? Maybe MS5K is using some Group III, which is causing leaks.

Comments???

There is a dude that has a bmw article in russian he has a lot of article and basicly say metal in oil is rarelly a good idea .let me find the website.be patient its in russian so translation might be weird cause i think its slang russian but you ll get the idea.http://bmwservice.livejournal.com

Leaks are caused by bad seals not a specific brand of oil. However, your seal conditioners in the Maxlife blend may have worn off. I would either go back to Maxlife or fix the leaking seal.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
Leaks are caused by bad seals not a specific brand of oil. However, your seal conditioners in the Maxlife blend may have worn off. I would either go back to Maxlife or fix the leaking seal.

^^ That right there.

Replace the bad seals or try maxlife again. mobil super doesnt "cause leaks"

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
There is a dude that has a bmw article in russian he has a lot of article and basicly say metal in oil is rarelly a good idea .let me find the website.be patient its in russian so translation might be weird cause i think its slang russian but you ll get the idea.http://bmwservice.livejournal.com

Wth does that have to do with anything?

And you forgot your fake frenchy speak.

Last edited:
Like the posters above mentioned, MS5k is not at fault.. Use a High Mileage oil, it will help the seals out. When a High Mileage oil stops/slows a leak it isn't a "forever fix." (I believe this is where the misconception came from that "once you use a high mileage oil, you must always use it.) The swell sealer additive is depleted/gone, and needs to be refreshed basically, if you stop using a high mileage oil, the leaks can come back.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Dang, why so harsh? I think he was referring to the Titanium in the oil, it was the articles opinion that "metal in oil is rarelly a good idea."

(I don't agree with the articles opinion)

Last edited:
http://bmwservice.livejournal.com/27699.html?page=2#comments here is a page from him relevent.i have yet to understand what he test since some term i dont know what they mean but if i understand correctly he cook in a a glass sphere oil to 400 degre then check stuff like whats left he goes into insane detail and that list of. Tested oil is long .(i suspect those not there werent accessible to him)stuff like deposit,polymerisation etc

Try looking at it this way, if an oil caused leaks then its a good cleaning oil. It's possible foreign matter [I'm avoiding the word sludge] was creating a false seal, and the oil cleaned it up.

Like Nick1994 said fix the leak, or try a HM oil next and see if that stops the leak.

Originally Posted By: actionstan

Dang, why so harsh? I think he was referring to the Titanium in the oil, it was the articles opinion that "metal in oil is rarelly a good idea."

I didn't really see that as harsh.. I just didnt see what a link to some random russian guy with bmw's has to do with a guy asking about m1 super 5k causing an oil leak.

Originally Posted By: actionstan
Originally Posted By: Rand

Calcium, sodium, moly, titanium are all metals.....

Not harsh at all.
smile.gif

Quote:
1999 Taurus with 3.0 OHV Vulcan. Currently has 206,000 miles.

C4Dave - I recall reading somewhere that there have been some issues with the oil filters loosening and leaking on the older Taurus Vulcans. It happened to me 2 OCs ago. Just a small drip onto the starter. I gave the filter an extra 1/2 turn and the leak stopped.

If your leak is coming from the front, it wouldn't hurt to make sure your filter is snug.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Calcium, sodium, moly, titanium are all metals.....

You forgot Zinc...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back