Mobil One 15w50 or rotellaT 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a mechanical guage in use for two years. Would I be better off with the 5w40 rotella for less strain on the pump. The truck only sees 2k miles a year. No short trips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: liberty
It is a mechanical guage in use for two years. Would I be better off with the 5w40 rotella for less strain on the pump. The truck only sees 2k miles a year. No short trips.

There's no strain on the pump bud; it is seeing very little back-pressure due to the much larger than stock clearances in your bottom-end
wink.gif

You really are wasting your money on RTS and M1 with that kind of bottom-end condition, some basic 15w40 will be fine until you can get it freshened up.

What I want to do is make the truck last as long as possible with out rebuilding the bottom end. The cost of the oil once a year is of no concern. I don't put many miles on it as you can see. I was only concerned about the cold weather starting as i stated in my original post. Do you think I will get sufficient pressure with the 5w40? What is considered adequate pressure for the 5.8l other than the factory specs in your experience?

Last edited:
I got my hands on some Shaeffers 132, and it claims to increase oil pressure along with a few other nice benefits. I think it will certainly help an old engine, and they're a company know for good products. It might be worth looking into, and there is a www site that will sell a bottle or two to try it out vs buying a whole case. PM me for details if you're interested.

What I want to do is make the truck last as long as possible with out rebuilding the bottom end. The cost of the oil once a year is of no concern. I don't put many miles on it as you can see. I was only concerned about the cold weather starting as i stated in my original post. Do you think I will get sufficient pressure with the 5w40? What is considered adequate pressure for the 5.8l other than the factory specs in your experience?

The 5w40 will be just fine. It will still last a VERY long time, even with low oil pressure. Windsors are a very strong engine.

FWIW, you could check to see what it would cost to have some new bearings put in it and the crank checked with a local machine shop.....

I read the info on 132. Is it similar to ENGINE RESTORE.

Yes, oil pressure in a can. Which does nothing useful other than bring the needle on that gauge up to make you feel better
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back