Mobil gas quality vs Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with AAA road service but I'll suggest they have commercial tie ins just as many other "club" ventures do.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Believe it or not, the gas at Mobil or Shell is the same. Comes from the same tank farm. For one particular region, all the gas comes from the same place. The only difference is the additive package. So if both are top tier, they have to meet the top tier specs for additives. It's the same. I put in what ever is cheaper in my Mercedes and the cheaper places are usually high volume places so I never worry about it.

So they aren't the same then?

I generally prefer ExxonMobil as my go to gas station. We have a Shell in town as well but the layout of the pumps is horrible. I don't know why they did it how the did but I don't know anyone who doesn't have to drive forward reverse drive forward reverse.

The layout from a practical standpoint is a nightmare. The easiest was to get to the pumps is by turning off the main road pulling into the fire departments drive and turning around and just using that angle.

I do prefer ExxonMobil as said earlier. Read a few articles/tests which all said they had the highest amount of detergent in their fuel during that years testing.

I used the Shell product until the local truck stop dropped Shell and went to their own, who knows what fuel. A very good product for sure. Hope Shell wil show up again in our city.
smile.gif

So if both are top tier, they have to meet the top tier specs for additives. It's the same.

Some meet the spec while others have more additives than the minimum spec. Then when the octane number increases they put even more additives in that fuel. Which is part of the reason the price is higher.

I can't tell any difference in fuel brands in the Camry. But in the Matrix I can tell a difference. By far Shell has the best performance. I avoid the small mom and pop, low volume, older stations even if they're a Shell station. Works out pretty well.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
V-Power doesn't contain ethanol.

It does in Texas. Only one pump in town sells E-0 in a county of 250,000 people

Originally Posted By: philipp10

"one brand"???...lol. Who the he!! cares. Do you honestly think "one brand" makes a difference?

The truth is... any station on the "top tier" list is where you should buy gas.

OCD can limit a person's potential in life.

Depending where the tank farm is both stations may get the same gasoline.

Originally Posted By: CT8

This is the true statement.

I know most don't like to hear the truth.

Additive is added at the station so the additive level is the difference.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: NissanHauler
My 17' Tacoma (V6 2GR-FKS) calls for premium (91 octane minimum reccomended) and my OCD irks me to keep one brand of fuel in my vehicles. The 2 most high-flow fuel stations are a mobil and shell place. Price is never more than 2 cents difference. I BELIEVE that both shell and mobil gas are TTDG. the questionbi pose is between the 2, which would you consider as higher quality?

"one brand"???...lol. Who the he!! cares. Do you honestly think "one brand" makes a difference? Your like the dog food company and it's "single source protein". Who give a rip if its from a chicken or a cow. God sakes people....my opinion is go see a shrink.

Lamb is #1 for protein in dog food by a long shot.

We won't feed our dog protein from any animal that was not raised organically and free range or that did not have its own name.

Or that was not allowed to be with the family who raised it in the evenings while they watched TV.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

Sure it came from the same source but that does not make the additive packages identical and those are added when the tankers are filled where I live...not at the retail station.

Does your truck "require" "recommend" or "suggest" premium for best performance? Does it permit the use of plain old 87? I only ask because my friend who has a 2016 Tacoma with the same engine only has to run 87 and his truck runs well and returns excellent fuel economy on 87, much much better economy than the previous 4.0L 1GR engine.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Does your truck "require" "recommend" or "suggest" premium for best performance? Does it permit the use of plain old 87? I only ask because my friend who has a 2016 Tacoma with the same engine only has to run 87 and his truck runs well and returns excellent fuel economy on 87, much much better economy than the previous 4.0L 1GR engine.

Neither. As with the old 1GR, either may be used. Hi-test will give a few more HP & torque.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: JMJNet

Sure it came from the same source but that does not make the additive packages identical and those are added when the tankers are filled where I live...not at the retail station.

Also, if you believe the AAA study from 2016 cited earlier in this thread, then you can buy into the idea that the end result of different additive packages will yield a different result in different cars with regard to IVD/combustion chamber deposits...but the take away is that enhanced additive / Top Tier gas is significantly better at prevention and removal of these deposits than non-Top Tier fuels. So it would seem that anyone claiming Top Tier as being marketing ( even if it has specific ASTM testing parameters ) with no benefit can be empirically proven wrong in several scenarios with port-injected OR DI vehicles. In many ways, ( just like oil ) additives might be the kicker and not necessarily the fuel grade or the brand.

Believe it or not, the gas at Mobil or Shell is the same. Comes from the same tank farm. For one particular region, all the gas comes from the same place. The only difference is the additive package. So if both are top tier, they have to meet the top tier specs for additives. It's the same. I put in what ever is cheaper in my Mercedes and the cheaper places are usually high volume places so I never worry about it.

EXACTLY. I came across a news story a while ago, not that long actually by a local TX TV station. They also used specific terms used for these gas farms. This one was near Corpus Christi, TX, run by Koch Brothers who refused an on-camera interview, but when the reporter talked to few of the gas station owners about the price difference between mom and pop gas stations vs brand gas stations, mom and pop stations opened up to the story. The base gas is same, what everything changes in the additives. All trucks get their gas at the same place, where the additive is added. That time I wondered, what if one farm place cheats? Am I paying more for the brand name only? Its not that we have mom and pop gas stations in our vicinity, but still 5c/gallon adds up for 2 vehicles.

That said, we have experienced trouble with Sunoco gas (for our Sentra). The car drives really rough, hard to explain but sure it feels different. Experimented many times over the period of 2 years with the same results. My local mechanic then told me, its all in my mind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn

That said, we have experienced trouble with Sunoco gas (for our Sentra). The car drives really rough, hard to explain but sure it feels different. Experimented many times over the period of 2 years with the same results. My local mechanic then told me, its all in my mind.

Your mechanic is quite an enlightened soul.

How esoteric of him to promote "letting the thought go".

Something of a modern day Yogi.

Or was he just saying you were imagining things?
grin.gif

Base (per spec) gasoline is shipped further than that - includes tankers - the final seller must mix in their proprietary additives - please don't tell Alex Jones or Rachel Maddow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back