Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75w-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
If you don't have an LSD, no need for LS fluids.

I am also no fan of the negatives of LS additives that are never mentioned, and am not happy that pretty much all autopart store sourced GL5 is predosed with LS additive.

Use the OTR GL5 non-LS gear oils in your Toyota. The Mack GO-J Plus list of gear oils are excellent. Motul and Redline also have non-lsd GL5.

I've used SAE50 gear oils in automotive manual transmissions. It is thicker, not a multi weight, had no issues, but can't recommend it for Northern usage. It was a bandaid for too much heat/HP/shock.... Many SAE50's also state for non-synchronized transmissions and don't always list a GL-rating. Don't use it in your Toyota.

For the manual transmission, stick with the GL4 75w90. And, in your Canadian climate, I'd even consider a GL4 75w85.

Redline MT90 protects well. Amsoil and Ford also sell a GL4 if you want to try another brand. Redline, Hyundai, Nissan, GM, Mopar... have GL4 75w85.

You are right, if it's not an LS application you do not need LS additives, in fact you don't want them.
One of the problems with LS additives is that they generally are detrimental to thermal stability. In an LS application they are something of a 'necessary evil' but in a non-LS application oxidative stability will suffer for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back