Mobil Delvac ESP 5w-40:Color diff b/t batchs/lots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought quiet a bit of Delvac when Pep Boys was giving money off plus the rebates etc. Anyway Im down to about 12 gallons ( I take 4 gallons per fill approx ) so Its not much more. What Im wondering is this...

Today I had to add some oil from a turbo leak that was fixed this weekend. I had a jug that was opened around late August early Sept this year, so I grabbed that. I noticed that the oil looked red, yes red. I thought well maybe I used this old jug ( now assuming its old oil not new stuff ) for some old trans fluid or some power steering fluid.. something red basically. So I opened another and it was red too ( this was a brand jug now ) I assumed that maybe something fell out of suspension from sitting for about 1.5 years.

I did notice that both of the jugs that were red in color had two things in common. One being that they were both the pull out spout bottles and had the same lot numbers on the jugs. This lead me to check the other jugs as well. I noticed that some jugs had a typical screw off cap and those jugs were all from another lot number too. So I did a side by side comparison of the oil. The ones with the pull spout ( new or previously opened bottle ) were all of a red hue. The screw off jugs were brown ( opened one new ). So this tells me that its not a suspension issue as all the oil was bought the same time. Now how long was it sitting at Pep Boys, Im unsure. Maybe its just a coloration or formula change and not an actual BAD issue with the oil. Ive bene using this oil for about 2 years or so and honestly never noticed the red hue.

Im going to contact Mobil with this thread in the email and see what they say. Has anyone else seen this? See the attached images of the oil and the jugs. Its hard to see the actual red hue, but think dark red trans fluid red. The cup on the left was from the opened jug form earlier this year, the center cup is NEW and has the screw cap jug and the one on the right is a NEW jug matching the lot of the first previously opened oil ( the first cup ). In the jug image, you will see only slight differences in the bottles, so nothing major like cert changes etc. Just wording and alteration of the labeling.

The lot code of the previously opened REDish jug is: 11014C30A 5666. Lot code of the new BROWN jug is: 11015H30A 5666. The lot code the NEW REDish jug is: 11014C30A 5666. So that is the only REAL differences I see here... I looked up the SDS and it says the color should be amber, well whats considered amber? Maybe it was the light playing with my eyes, and making it seem red? I know some ambers ( like natural amber resins ) can appear to be reddish... I dont know lol..

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Last edited:
I run this oil in my truck and have two opened jugs that I just checked. It doesn't look anything at all like yours.

They both have the same lot number 11016G02A 566. Mine doesn't look like either of yours and is a very light brown.

WEIRD. Great.. So could this be an issue with the oil? Or what? Does anyone know if mobil would compensate me anyway? I doubt it... well 12 gallons of oil in the trash maybe. Thats over 300$!

What about sending in a couple of samples and have them analyized? I know I'd rather spend minimal money to ensure that it's suitable to use, than to dispose of it. I'd also give Mobil a ring and let them know what you're seeing.

I did email them... Im awaiting to hear from them. True, I would have an analysis done prior to using it, just very weird that its well turned color like that. Its been stored at around 50-60deg.. I dont see that as being extreme.

I've never compared too closely from one lot to the next. I'd wager that there is some batch variation. Heck, if you pressed me to pick the one color of your samples that was closest to the last I poured into my vehicle, I couldn't do it. But, see what Mobil has to say.

Good to see you here Garak. You're the one that got me to buy the oil, no issues obviously just something I noticed and to me worth finding out whats what.

When I pour mine, I use a fairly large measuring jug, that holds like 4.5 L or something. So, I can't even look at your pictures and make a comparison, since the size of the container is so different and that affects how much light gets through it. Now, have different lighting and photography, and it's even harder. My rough impression is that the Delvac 1 isn't a light coloured oil by any stretch of the imagination. It does seem to start darker than the PYB I was using before, for what it's worth, and that's from reading the dipstick after an OCI. Of course, that doesn't tell much about batch to batch variation, either. Hopefully, XOM will get back to you. Or, they'll think you're a nuts BITOGer like the rest of us. I can't even give you a visual impression of one batch to the next, because I pour in a four litre jug, and then add one measured litre, so if either part was from a different batch number (I buy a case at a time, and there's always a straggler between batches), I wouldn't be seeing one at all, since the four litre part is in the original jug and goes straight down the funnel.

On a dipstick, I'd wager that the difference we're seeing in your pictures might become unnoticeable.

What is the name of the dye they use ? Just one ? - think a heavy hitter like MoleKule or Sonofjoe would know if they might use more or another dye ...

I'm not sure. But, those two may have an idea. Try RP next time and really confuse the issue.
wink.gif

Use RP in my boat - lol 1st time I poured the purple juice (never did grape GM gear oil - Delvac for me)

Take a look at this. Maybe you got some CK-4 in a CJ-4 jug, assuming this data sheet is accurate. I came across this in the UOA section, thanks to a vigilant member there. The flash point went down from 249 C to 222 C. Pour point went up from -48 C to -33 C.

My first guess is that the primarily PAO base stock of Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is no more, assuming this data sheet is correct. In some ways, I'm surprised it lasted this long, given that the competition wasn't using primarily PAO. The only people who this really may bug are ultra-long drain people in commercial vehicles and base stock sticklers like me. In other words, 99% of the users will never notice and it won't affect lubricant performance for them one iota. I would also assume that Mobil sees something like Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 as more important down the road. Maybe I'll have to switch to that or something else when I run out of this lot.

I guess TiredTrucker is right. 15w-40 and 10w-30 HDEOs are far more important in the real world of HDEOs, and there's little to be gained by overbuilding a 5w-40, or at least keeping it that way when it's been replaced by something else as the flagship product of the Delvac 1 line.

Thanks for the info Garak. I may also be leaving Delvac 5w40 (after my current CJ4 supply is gone). Hope everyone is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back