Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 oil in 3800 V6?

Does your engine burn oil? I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you have bad rings, and then you've got bigger problems to worry about. Just my 2 cents
Mine doesn't burn oil. I only put 2000 miles a year but in a stop and go traffic, my work is only 3 miles away.

You guys have reminded me that I have two jugs (2 x 5L) of Mobil Super 1000 Diesel 15W40, that is API CI-4 / CH-4 / SL and ACEA E7. Just conventional, not semi-synthetic like the Mobil 1300 Super 15W40, but good enough for my API SL era 2006 car.

Remember, 40 weight SN can have a HIGHER ZDDP level than 30 weight or less. As long as it doesn’t burn oil, Delvac 1300 15W40 would be a GREAT warm weather oil for a 3.8 Buick engine, almost overkill.
That was a rule in effect prior to May 1, 2021. 40 grade with Phosphorus over 800 ppm will not get an SP rating. As for SN, the API no longer supports it and if the manufacturers put it on their bottle it’s up to them. We have moved onto SP.

That was a rule in effect prior to May 1, 2021. 40 grade with Phosphorus over 800 ppm will not get an SP rating. As for SN, the API no longer supports it and if the manufacturers put it on their bottle it’s up to them. We have moved onto SP.
The API website says:

SNCurrentFor 2020 and older automotive engines

It lists SP, SN, SM, SL and SJ as Status = Current, with SH and older as Obsolete.

Remember, 40 weight SN can have a HIGHER ZDDP level than 30 weight or less. As long as it doesn’t burn oil, Delvac 1300 15W40 would be a GREAT warm weather oil for a 3.8 Buick engine, almost overkill.
It can if the oil is not dual rated, however dual rated oils should now not exceed the resource conserving limit for the claimed S-rating, Delvac 1300 only has 800ppm of phosphorous, now some of the SP rated Xw40 euro oils do exceed the limit, since there is no phosphorous limits on monograde oils, 20W20, 15W30, Xw40,Xw50, and Xw60 oils.

The API website says:

SNCurrentFor 2020 and older automotive engines

It lists SP, SN, SM, SL and SJ as Status = Current, with SH and older as Obsolete.
It’s just semantics. All ILSAC GF-5 oils including SN are obsolete as May 1, 2021. It’s not even a licensable standard anymore. If SN make you happy having it on a bottle go with it.

542C277D-B3CE-4942-9249-18E2F0E0EE83.png

Service categories SJ-SN are still active, the GF-5 and older ILSAC categories are obselete and can no longer be licensed
Correct, right now I'm using brand new Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 that is also API SL (due to it being ~ 1000 ppm ZDDP). It's also MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01.

I can also buy Valvoline SynPower 5W30 A5/B5 that is also API SL for the same reason, it also carries Ford 913-D which requires higher ZDDP levels than allowed by SN or SP.

The Euro ACEA sequences are not as restrictive on Phos levels as API, and some OEMs (outside of North America) want slightly elevated ZDDP levels. Not lots more, usually about 100-200 ppm above API SN/SP levels.

Recall ZDDP provides three benefits, it's an anti-wear agent that protects the metal of the engine, and antioxidant that protects the oils and allows for longer oil change intervals, and a powerful LSPI quencher for turbo direct injected engines.

Is it okay to run Mobil Delvac 1300 super 15w40 in 3800 V6 motor? The price is so cheap. Is running diesel oil in 3800 V6 a bad idea? I live in Rio grande valley, South Texas.

It won't hurt anything, but pricewise you're better off running Sam's Prime oil, I'd use the 10W-30:

Last edited:
Mr. Kschachn. You of all people should know that the API does not issue a “ SN license” anymore. A 40 grade diesel oil may receive a SP but only if has less than a 800 ppm phosphorus concentration. If Mobil wants to still have SN on their bottle it’s up to them. Shell removed the SN from their 40 grade motor oils with more than 800 ppm phosphorus. :)
The oil has a current API SN license as verified on the EOLCS.

Above all else my local Sam's Club shows that the Mobil 15W-40 (and a lot other listed oils) are unavailable. If you're really worried about cost vs. benefit the Prime oil is a synblend and exceeds what GM recommended for that motor and it's 60 cents less a qt. Most of the additives in a HDEO are unnecessary in a gasoline engine and there is a chance of fouling the emission's system even beyond the cat....

I found this VOA for Mobil Delvac 1300. It’s from 2018. The phosphorus is less than the required 800 ppm, so it looks like it might get an SP rating as long as it meets the regular SP requirement. A lot the Euro’s meet SP. Not sure on HDEO’s.

5AFEF689-B0A9-4077-8673-6D0117FE1CE4.png

Last edited:
There are hardware stores in Minnesota still restocking Ilsac 5 bottles..June 2022. That's expired junk. Legal?
Probably old stock from within their distribution network that's taking a while to cycle out, hardware stores tend to be expensive on that sort of stuff and people don't really buy much there.

Back