Mobil 7500 compared to Conoco made blends

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the "Mobil 7500 vs Castol GTX" post, Pep Boys is running a sale on Mobil 7500 for ~$2.39/qt. I can get any of the Conoco made blends (76, Kendall, Conoco, & 66) for about the same price or less from a nearby distributor - I haven't seen Trop Artic in Walmarts in the northeast to take advantage of the $1.68/qt deal.

How does the 7500 compare to Conoco's blend for a 4-5k OCI, northeast climate, in a V6 passenger car? Comment on both 5w20 and 5w30.

I have been a Chev-Hav user but looking for a change when my non-DS stock runs out (or when Family Dollar stops carrying it [5w30]).

Conoco's hydroprocessed oils magically became syn blend overnight. Don't know if their add pack changed with their marketing category label - I don't think their price moved much (or at all) with the change, hmmm...

In addition to the "syn blend" label, Mobil states 27% more cleaning additives than their base, quick lube only (non-retail) GF-4/SM conventional Mobil Clean (formerly Drive Clean).

Here are Conoco made blends that I am referring to:

Conoco - Super All Season Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
Phillips 66 - TropArtic® Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
76 - Super Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
Kendall - GT-1® High Performance Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

You can save money bey waiting for sales on other name-brands -- then blending it yourself in a 3-dino/1-synthetic (25% blend). There is no proof that either blend ( yours or the manufacturer) is better or worse.

Personally, I like the 33% blend... 2-dino/1-synthetic.

Add packs can be different between oils - even from the same company. I believe each oil is formulated just so. Mixing formulations could result in undesired additive interaction. I think an oil formulator has more expertise than Joe Public.

There are people who blend their own without perceived problems as well - your choice.

Mobil 7500 lubed chemically is way different from Conoco products itrinsically. I believe Boron is used in the CP as antiwear? agent while the DC utilizes calcium and sodium (which skews the UOAs but otherwise is effective).

I guess it depends on the aforementioned additive pack and overall effectiveness of the final product(base oil + add pack?) in your application. Both M DC 7500 and Conoco Phillips based Motorcraft (called TropArtic elswhere?) is what we primarily get readily available at WalMart here in Texas (although we might get Schaffer's(also CP?) but it's probably limited and a bit pricey). I can tell you that both products worked for me but I preferred the DC 7500 to lube my vital engine parts during the break-in of my new engine up to 21,500 miles (approx) and then right afterwards at mile 21,501 is when the CP based Motorcraft came in . This order worked real good for me and now that fall beckons, I am mulling going back to MC for the fuel and performance hit.

I would love to try the Super All-season Conoco Phillips Synthetic blend mentioned above in 5w-20! We don't get that here. Anyone wanna send me a 5qt jug in 5w-20?!

Last edited:
Here is the link for the product data sheet.

http://tds.econocophillips.com/catalogs/...20TDS%20Web.pdf

When Motorcraft updated their web site specs, I was not impressed and noticed that in some areas they are lower than the other similar Conoco products. I am aware that there will be variations during production but as you will see a 70 degree F flash point production variation is a little too much for 5w-20.

Motocraft is readily available and turns nice UOA's, but I think the other Conoco's could be better; they [except for Motorcraft, competition] are on GM's 6094 approved list. I like 76's 5w-20 & 5w-30 specs out of all of them, but there are not many 76 users in this forum.

Quote:

When Motorcraft updated their web site specs, I was not impressed and noticed that in some areas they are lower than the other similar Conoco products. I am aware that there will be variations during production but as you will see a 70 degree F flash point production variation is a little too much for 5w-20.

Motocraft is readily available and turns nice UOA's, but I think the other Conoco's could be better; they [except for Motorcraft, competition] are on GM's 6094 approved list. I like 76's 5w-20 & 5w-30 specs out of all of them, but there are not many 76 users in this forum.

Thanks. I hope to call that distributor and try the Super All Season Synthetic Blend Motor Oil SAE Grade 5W-20

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. I hope to call that distributor and try the Super All Season Synthetic Blend Motor Oil SAE Grade 5W-20

Hey, these guys I called at the distributor are great. They can sell me a case of the All Season semi synthetic! I have to buy a case which comes with 12 quarts. Has anyone used this CP Super All season semi synthetic? Any UOAs? Their cases come with 12 quarts!!

For whatever reason I have never thought about doing this.

I am running Pennzoil dino 5W30 in my new corolla, I have already changed the oil out twice, almost 900 miles on the car now, and will wait till I hit 5k then will try 3-dino pen 5w30 and 1 syn PP5w30 and see how that works out.

-I changed it originally at around 500 miles but for the life of me could not get the filter off after I had already drained the factory fill. So I just refilled it with penn5w30.I drove it a couple hundred more miles with the penn 5w30 as a flush to hopefully get most of the factory fill out so I can do a good uoa, . After using 2 different oil filter wrenches and 1 strap wrench I still couldn't get the ---- filter off so I had to resort to the hammer and screwdriver method and finally got it off. Refilled with pen 5/30 and will send in a sample at 5k. Will try the home brew blend for the 5-10K run

Quote:

You can save money bey waiting for sales on other name-brands -- then blending it yourself in a 3-dino/1-synthetic (25% blend). There is no proof that either blend ( yours or the manufacturer) is better or worse.

Personally, I like the 33% blend... 2-dino/1-synthetic.

Sorry I was quoting this.

For whatever reason I have never thought about doing this.

I am running Pennzoil dino 5W30 in my new corolla, I have already changed the oil out twice, almost 900 miles on the car now, and will wait till I hit 5k then will try 3-dino pen 5w30 and 1 syn PP5w30 and see how that works out.

-I changed it originally at around 500 miles but for the life of me could not get the filter off after I had already drained the factory fill. So I just refilled it with penn5w30.I drove it a couple hundred more miles with the penn 5w30 as a flush to hopefully get most of the factory fill out so I can do a good uoa, . After using 2 different oil filter wrenches and 1 strap wrench I still couldn't get the ---- filter off so I had to resort to the hammer and screwdriver method and finally got it off. Refilled with pen 5/30 and will send in a sample at 5k. Will try the home brew blend for the 5-10K run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back