Mobil 212A C&P LTA Not Happy

IMG_0279.jpeg
IMG_0277.jpeg
First C&P. Off a ‘22.5 Silverado 5.3. The plastic on the bottom end of the filter was pressed on in such a way that there was thin plastic “overflow”. Or it was a bad mold. I found two plastic strips from the filter in the pleats (see below) which I’d expect the filter to filter something so big but I am less than happy that they and god knows how much more plastic went through my 5.3.

IMG_0280.jpeg
IMG_0285.jpeg

interesting that we’re seeing so many failed 212a sized filters. i have posted a torn 212a and have had end caps pop off like that. what filter did you spin back on it?

interesting that we’re seeing so many failed 212a sized filters. i have posted a torn 212a and have had end caps pop off like that. what filter did you spin back on it?
Fram Force. I have an ultra, couple of XPs, an AC Delco and a Titanium in my little horde. I also have another 212A in the box as well but it’s going in the trash.

Edit to add: the end cap was secure / there was thin plastic overflow that ran in jagged edges a little bit onto the metal louvers.

Last edited:
Fram Force. I have an ultra, couple of XPs, an AC Delco and a Titanium in my little horde. I also have another 212A in the box as well but it’s going in the trash.
fram force is the AC Delco in a fram can, champs built. IMO, i would look at the carquest premium 84502 (premium guard with a silicone gasket) or roll on with the Endurance FE-10575

I’ll cut the Force once it’s done a few thousand miles and post.

I’ll cut the Force once it’s done a few thousand miles and post.
i take it back, the fram Drive is the champs built version. the force is a extra guard with a grippy finish. i wouldn’t run it but many here would. i’m a solid no on anything with “soft” end caps

On my edit I said the end cap was secure but I thought that was the black plastic part. I’m new to this so I’m guessing the metal is the cap - yeah that wasn’t secure at all.

Yes, the metal is the "end cap". Ideally, they should not come off from the black potting glue, which isn't "plastic". The black material seals the ends of the pleats, and adheres the metal end cap at the same time.

How many miles did you run it? Still shouldn't have loosened its end cap. They should be using a better potting glue.

How many miles did you run it? Still shouldn't have loosened its end cap. They should be using a better potting glue.
Purolator has been popping caps for a while, it’s hard to get potting glue to stick to a metal end cap, apparently. The spring does keep it together, but the excess glue & torn media are no bueno!

I'm a big fan of M1 oils but the filters are better suited to a landfill than on any of my engines. I bought a couple on sale at Meijers for no reason than to cut them open to compare to Fram Ultras I had been using, and both of them were an unholy mess inside. So much glue everywhere, on both sides of the filter media...I was able to very freely pull a few chunks off. The end cap popped right off. One of the filter's bypass valves was glued shut. I only paid $5 for these filters and even at that I felt ripped off.

Back