M1 212A 4,200 miles failure C&P

These Mobil 1 filters aren't a very good value to begin with. That type of tearing is not just a Purolator problem either like some claimed.
Purolator is the OE. It is a purolator problem. If its tearing even with good pleat spacing and density it could be a media formulation issue. The filter saw 4k and torn a pleat. Just saying. Mobil1 is the private label so they have no direct QC other than to complain to purolator their filters are crap and to get their engineering and QA to right it. Bad batches happen all the time manufacturing that will always reach retail stores no matter the product.

Last edited:
Purolator is the OE. It is a purolator problem. If its tearing even with good pleat spacing and density it could be a media formulation issue. The filter saw 4k and torn a pleat. Just saying. Mobil1 is the private label so they have no direct QC other than to complain to purolator their filters are crap and to get their engineering and QA to right it. Bad batches happen all the time manufacturing that will always reach retail stores no matter the product.
Again, for the third time my statements are correct. I know who makes these for Mobil 1. This type of tear is seen on several other brands too w/wide pleat spacing around the seams. This type of tear is not inclusive to Purolator only period.

No, This is not a Purolator only problem. We see this type of wide pleat tearing with other brands too.
Purolator/M+H made filters are far ahead in the race of torn media. Seems their media can't take much bending stress, and when that's combined with wide pleats plus oil dP they tear easy. There are lots of filters posted here that have wide pleats and they don't tear. Having wide pleats is only one factor involved in the media tearing equation.

Purolator/M+H made filters are far ahead in the race of torn media. Seems their media can't take much bending stress, and when that's combined with wide pleats plus oil dP they tear easy. There are lots of filters posted here that have wide pleats and they don't tear. Having wide pleats is only one factor involved in the media tearing equation.
Purolator is probably going to be up there since it's a very popular filter brand so we'll hear about it more frequently.

Purolator is probably going to be up there since it's a very popular filter brand so we'll hear about it more frequently.
Not nearly as popular here as it use to be. If it was as popular here as before, we would probably see a lot more instances of media tearing.

Not nearly as popular here as it use to be. If it was as popular here as before, we would probably see a lot more instances of media tearing.
Best I can recommend is make a spreadsheet, of torn filters, then you'll know if they're not as popular as you say.

Best I can recommend is make a spreadsheet, of torn filters, then you'll know if they're not as popular as you say.
There was a spreadsheet made by a member here back when the tearing was going wild, and it wasn't pretty. Even back then, there were people trying to make excuses for why the media was tearing. It's pretty obvious why, and the formulation of the media (it's flexibility and strength under stress) is a big factor when it comes to wide pleats with causes them to bend from the dP of oil flow. The pleat that tore on this filter wasn't even spread very wide compared to how wide some other filter's pleats are spread open next to the seam.

Last edited:
There was a spreadsheet made by a member here back when the tearing was going wild, and it wasn't pretty. Even back then, there were people trying to make excuses for why the media was tearing. It's pretty obvious why, and the formulation of the media (it's flexibility and strength under stress) is a big factor when it comes to wide pleats with causes them to bend from the dP of oil flow. The pleat that tore on this filter wasn't even spread very wide compared to how wide some other filter's pleats are spread open next to the seam.
I've seen that old one before. But this Purolator/Mobil 1 shouldn't have failed just like any torn filter should not have failed.

I've seen that old one before. But this Purolator/Mobil 1 shouldn't have failed just like any torn filter should not have failed.
True ... and that's my underlying point too. So the question is why did it fail when it shouldn't have failed, which is the same question asked about anything that fails in service.

Im pretty sure mobil1 filters are the most popular in the aftermarket just by the name branding alone. Every normie car diy guy i talk to at the local parts store is their first pick outside of OEM. And yes many of them avoid Fram beause of the orange can myth and legend lol.

That aside its just an overpriced run of the mill filter that can be had for less by other competing brands and labels.

Cellulose Synthetic blend is nothing special and is common in low end aftermarket offerings, sometime with better efficiency than mobil1 branded filters.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure mobil1 filters are the most popular in the aftermarket just by the name branding alone. Every normie car diy guy i talk to at the local parts store is their first pick outside of OEM. And yes many of them avoid Fram because of the orange can myth and legend lol.

That aside its just an overpriced run of the mill filter that can be had for less by other competing brands and labels.

Cellulose Synthetic blend is nothing special and is common in low end aftermarket offerings, sometime with better efficiency than mobil1 branded
Hi Mewbs,
I agree with your theory that the Mobil 1 filters are purchased because of name branding because it cannot be for the performance specs. Two of the Fram models below offer better filtering performance for a lot less money. The SuperTech Blue can has identical specs and costs $5.47 less.

Mobil 1______________20K mile rated at 99% eff. @30 microns for $11.44
Fram Ultra Synthetic_20K mile rated at 99% eff. @20 microns for $8.97, 22%less. . . . $2.47
Fram Tough Guard___15K mile rated at 99% eff. @20 microns for $7.17, 37% less. . . . $4.27
Supertech Blue Can__20K mile rated at 99% eff. @30 microns for $5.97, 48% less . . . $5.47

I used them for years when they were made by Champion, when they changed to the -A I called Mobil and they informed me that it was now sourced from Mann-Hummel, specifically Purolator. The Champion made filters were far superior, never an issue. After seeing the debacle with trusted brands changing ownership and sourced all over China and the 3rd world and never having any experience with Purolator, I decided to just go with the Honda factory filters, yes they are essentially a Fram in a blue can, but they are US made and Honda warranties their cars with them. It’s just not worth agonizing over, and with the short OCI'S I do, they are just fine, even buying from the dealer when they change using my oil, they're less than $10. I think most Honda owners would have preferred Honda to have stayed with the 15400-PLM-A01 which was made by Filtech.

Back