Mobil 1oil color

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Just wondering what shade of brown or amber is Mobil 1 when it is new out of the bottle?

I recently had my 06 Honda Accord V6 oil changed at the dealer and it was suppose to be Mobil 1.

When I checked the oil, the color is a light brown, very similar to the Quaker State Synthetic (used last oil change). Is Mobil 1 lighter or similar to Quaker State in color when they are both new out of the bottle?

The dealership uses Quaker State for dino and Mobil 1 for synthetic. I know by looking at the color is not a scientific way to tell what oil they used. But the color does look rather dark to me.

TIA

Formulations constantly change - so does the color.

Worried about cheating dealerships?
There's really no way to catch them - since thy don't allow customers near the vehicle during service. Even bringing-along your own oil is no guarantee that will be used. Oil in large drums may not contain what's written on the outer shell of the drum. UOAs help some in determining cheaters, but it's really only your analyzer's word against theirs.

If you want an 100% honest oil/filter change -- gotta' do it yourself - or find a place where you can be there for sample inspection.

Last edited:
As someone who has worked at an oil changing place - you don't always get what you pay for. After working where I did I will ALWAYS change my own oil unless I get a BMW/Audi/Ferrari...
smile.gif

The Mobil 1 in my car is always so clear,it`s very hard to see it on the dipstick until I have a couple thousand miles.

Originally Posted By: OriginHacker21
As someone who has worked at an oil changing place - you don't always get what you pay for. After working where I did I will ALWAYS change my own oil unless I get a BMW/Audi/Ferrari...
smile.gif

Great advice from someone who has been there.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The Mobil 1 in my car is always so clear,it`s very hard to see it on the dipstick until I have a couple thousand miles.

Same with my car, except it does that regardless of what oil I use. Havoline, Valvoline, Amsoil, etc.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Same with my car, except it does that regardless of what oil I use. Havoline, Valvoline, Amsoil, etc.
smile.gif

We must be a couple of the lucky ones with squeaky clean engines!

Originally Posted By: ics88
Hello everyone,

Just wondering what shade of brown or amber is Mobil 1 when it is new out of the bottle?

I recently had my 06 Honda Accord V6 oil changed at the dealer and it was suppose to be Mobil 1.

When I checked the oil, the color is a light brown, very similar to the Quaker State Synthetic (used last oil change). Is Mobil 1 lighter or similar to Quaker State in color when they are both new out of the bottle?

The dealership uses Quaker State for dino and Mobil 1 for synthetic. I know by looking at the color is not a scientific way to tell what oil they used. But the color does look rather dark to me.

TIA

ics88,

I usually check my oil using the dip stick after changing out my oil from the dealership. I do this just in case someone might get funny and take my M1 away for thenselves and substitute their own oil instead. In the past M1 would be a very light color of amber. Any other brand would be slightly darker. Like the other say to be sure you can change your own OR do what I do and take the oil of your choice and ask them to use your instead. I've been very sucessful in doing this.

Durango

Thanks for all the replies. This is the first time I have used this dealership. Next time I might go to a different place.

Does anyone know about how much of the old oil is still left inside the engine after it is drained? Enough to make the Mobil 1 darker? Assuming the dealership did use Mobil 1, would the darker color a result of the new oil mixing with some of the old oil?

The last oil change was with Quaker State synthetic and it was very dark after 6,200 miles. The OLM was at 5%.

BTW, the car has 17K miles on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

smile.gif

We must be a couple of the lucky ones with squeaky clean engines!

Dedication pays off
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ics88
Thanks for all the replies. This is the first time I have used this dealership. Next time I might go to a different place.

Does anyone know about how much of the old oil is still left inside the engine after it is drained? Enough to make the Mobil 1 darker? Assuming the dealership did use Mobil 1, would the darker color a result of the new oil mixing with some of the old oil?

The last oil change was with Quaker State synthetic and it was very dark after 6,200 miles. The OLM was at 5%.

BTW, the car has 17K miles on it.

ics88,

No mater how long you drain the old oil out during the exchange your always gonna mix a little of that dirty oil with the new. It can't be helpd as that's just the way it is. However my opinion is that it's insignuficant compared to the total package of the new oil.

After checking my M1 after 3000K miles I found it just slightly/hair darker (equal to dino oil). Still much more cleaner over an average 3K.

Durango

Originally Posted By: 98LSC32V
When your bring them your Mobil 1 oil ask for the empty bottles back.

Thats what i used to do when my truck was under warrenty, my buddy used to tease me are you really sure they added your own oil and not added it to their rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back