Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This engine is very easy on oil and your mostly highway mileage is also a good thing. I have a 2000 Regal w/ 3800 Series II, V6.

1/2 qt. consumption in 5K was pretty normal with M1 10W-30 for me.

The Havoline can probably do 5K, but it sounds like you are wanting to extend drains beyond that and not spend so much time under the car.

I don't think it's to late to try synthetics at all.

M1 10W-30, GC 0W-30, and Amsoil 10W30 ATM work well. Adding LC may also have benefits, so doing 10K intervals and longer is doable.

I'd recommend getting the Dyson analysis at 5 or 6K and let Terry guide you from there to optimize.

A uoa will check your engine health and is recommended before extending drains. You will find that proper air and oil filtration is also vitally important.

[ January 30, 2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

Well Motorcraft 5W-30 is a 100% Group III (probably) Like most oils that advertise "Synthetic" You could go 5K miles on that without breaking out a sweat. Conoco Oils Philips, Conoco, 76, and Kendall are also 100% Group III. I would go that direction.

Oh make sure any oil you buy says GF-4 on the back.
smile.gif

3000 miles a month and 3000 mile oil changes? You are spending to much time under your car! You are a canidate for extended oil changes with synthetics. I think if I were you I would get some M1 0W40 or their new Extended Performance M1. I am thinking that you could get 4-5 months out of the oil no problem!

Your oil consuption will probably go away after two or three oil changes with synthetic. I would definately consider a Auto-Rx treatment though to clean everything out before the switch to extended drains!

I have a 1997 LeSaber with a 3.8 and 123,000 miles and it does not burn any oil at all going by the dipstick between oil changes. I would be more concerned about your transmission. The 3.8 can go 200000 miles no problem with decent maintence!

I have a 98 Camaro with a 3.8 V6 and 114000 miles on it. I put alot of miles on this car about 3000 a month. I would like to get aleast 200000 miles out of it. I am currently running Havoline 10W30 with 3000 mile OCI. Would you guys recomend swithing to mobil 1 or is it to late. The car burns about 1/2 a quart every 3000 miles. Would it make the seals leak or cause any other poblems or should I just stick with what i got. If so do you still recomend Havoline or a Diffent dino oil and what weight oil. Thanks

Honestly if your doing 3k mile drains, I don't think you will see any improvement in wear by switching to synthetic. Additive packages among many of these oils are now so similar. In fact they might even all be using similar additive packages from varioius suppliers. Unless you want to extend drains or you drive really hard, you might just want to stay put with what your doing. That V6 will last a long time on ANY oil.

I agree with Buster, only that I would suggest changing the oil every 5 or 6K since you drive 3K a month. This would save you a little time from being under the car.

200K should be a walk in the park for the 3.8. Some of the vehicles where I work get around 1800 miles a week and some are near 400K and still running great with 5K OCI's.

Would you guys think its okay to extend the drain interval on a dino. If so how much? The car is drivan mostly highway but it does sit in traffic for at least 20 minutes a day. How much longer of a OCI could I go on Mobil 1. Thanks

The Transmission Fluid gets changed every 30,000 It has sence i owned this car is that good enough. Last time i put Pennzoil High Milage fluid in it. So you think M1 0W40 woul be the best bet at 6000 mile intervals what filter would be best? I normaly use a Premium Plus. Thanks for the info. By the way what is LC?

I happen to dislike the 10W-30 Mobil 1 in the 3.8L... it really seems too thin for these engines. I have had great success with the Valvoline Maxlife products, and I advocate XW40s in the 3800-II. You will easily see 200,000 out of the V6 in your car.

I intend on soon switching to 5,000mi OCIs on Maxlife 10W-40 or Synpower 5W-40 (if I can find it) or Mobil1 0W-40.. perhaps longer if I run Mobil1.

I found that adding some 10W-40 to my 3800 cut my oil consumption to almost nothing (109,000 mile engine). It would eat up straight 10w-30 though.

I am currently running all M1 0W-40. I am going to run it at least 6000 miles, but it will be a few months before I have any results on this oil run though.

My situation is a low mileage car,23k,and no consumption between changes..Running 5w30 Royal Purple right now and an oci of 5k. Would 0w40 still be wise????

quote:

Originally posted by FFeng7:
The Transmission Fluid gets changed every 30,000 It has sence i owned this car is that good enough. Last time i put Pennzoil High Milage fluid in it. So you think M1 0W40 woul be the best bet at 6000 mile intervals what filter would be best? I normaly use a Premium Plus. Thanks for the info. By the way what is LC?

LC = Lube Control---They are a site sponsor and information is available here. LC is said to help keep insolubles in check, which can be a problem in extending drains. A great filter also helps.

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
I happen to dislike the 10W-30 Mobil 1 in the 3.8L... it really seems too thin for these engines.

Not being argumentative but I had one of the better uoa's with it. My driving style is not agressive, though. I'm currently using GC 0W-30 and will compare results.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:

I intend on soon switching to 5,000mi OCIs on Maxlife 10W-40 or Synpower 5W-40 (if I can find it) or Mobil1 0W-40.. perhaps longer if I run Mobil1.

You might try Pep Boys, if they have them near you. I was at one here in IN the other night and they had Synpower in either 5W-40 or 15W-40...can't remember exactly which, but it was one of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back