Mobil 1 vs Pennzoil Platinum 10k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 for over 120k miles in a VW Cabrio (one of my cars), owned since new, went to Mobil 1 about 3k miles from new, and never once had to add a drop between changes ever. No leaks, no issues, nothing. Those cars were known to have issues too.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Another thread that is explaining Mobil wow every month at times what is it with this stuff????

It's not the stuff, it's the people who believe the tripe some posters post here.

Originally Posted By: mgm13
Just changing oil many times(boosted) does in no way qualify a "Jiffy Lube Tech" to make such observations.

+1....Have used both M1 and PP in my Focus over the last 5 years I've owned the vehicle. Never once has there been any issues in my 2.3 Duratec engine. I've never added a drop...and there is no leakage.

I am currently on my 2nd fill of PP 5w20 (very pleased)....but my next OC will be M-1 0w20. If it works well (I'm sure it will), I plan on making it my permanent oil.

I have used Mobil-1 almost exclusively on the Lincoln Town Car I recently traded with 232,000 miles on the odo. Using 5-30 M-1 EP for 14,600 mile change the stick was down just 1/4 qt.

I doubt the protection is any better, but the Pennzoil and Shell oils tend to run a lot quieter for the same grade in my experience. Of all of them M1 tend to produce the most noise, Pennzoil the least.

Originally Posted By: boosted
Its not the Pennzoil more than likely the m1 found a way to make gaskets leak, probably the rear main is slowly leaking now because of the synthetic. Dump some good old conventional in and drive it, stay far away from Mobil 1. Might be to late now already though thx to m1 for making another vehicle use oil. No matter what people try to tell you a vehicle should consume no oil. Try a zddp additive maybe that will help the gasket the m1 ruined. Anybody that feels different I don't care, I change oil on 40+ cars a day and by far m1 makes all vehicles use oil, I work at a quick lube for last 5 years so out of anybody I can tell you more horror stories and the truth about synthetic and m1.

Our Prius hadn't used any oil until I put in Mobil Super Syn this time...I thought it was just because it was 5w20, but you may be on to something...

Its not the Pennzoil more than likely the m1 found a way to make gaskets leak, probably the rear main is slowly leaking now because of the synthetic. Dump some good old conventional in and drive it, stay far away from Mobil 1. Might be to late now already though thx to m1 for making another vehicle use oil. No matter what people try to tell you a vehicle should consume no oil. Try a zddp additive maybe that will help the gasket the m1 ruined. Anybody that feels different I don't care, I change oil on 40+ cars a day and by far m1 makes all vehicles use oil, I work at a quick lube for last 5 years so out of anybody I can tell you more horror stories and the truth about synthetic and m1.

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read, and I'm not even a Mobil 1 fan. The fact that you work at a quick lube pretty much discounts anything you post, its not something to be proud of. You should try reading more, and learning from others who know, instead of spouting nonsense, and recommending snake oil additives.

Yeah...as the OP, I blocked this guy on about his second post. I think this thread got away from it's original intent, and that is possibly my fault. It was not intended to decide which one to use, as I use both with confidence. I was just wondering why, NOACK values etc, a vehicle that uses no oil on M1, would use a half qt (negligible I know) on a different brand. In the end, it does not matter, I keep a close eye on everything, and it will never be an issue. Just an innate curiosity, a desire for information. I don't see any need to carry this any further, and I thank all for their input.

Not in my case. M1 in either HM or AFE hasn't burned a single drop in the Tacoma. Mu changes range from 5000-7000 miles.

....Sigh, This kind of nonsense is what gives quick lube guys a bad name. I own and operate one, and I come on this site to expand my knowlege, not try to swing my [censored] around about how much I know about oil.

Anyways, back to the post. M5w20 in my vulcan with no issues. Its consuming about 1/4 every 6k OCI with 82k on the clock.

Originally Posted By: travlnman
Yeah...as the OP, I blocked this guy on about his second post.

I didn't know this was possible to do. Good for you. I notice most people haven't even bothered acknowledging his post, probably due to it's sheer ridiculousness.

jiffy lube tech post not totally off, just 30 years or so behind the times. there was a time, late 70s and during the 80's, switching oils could affect the seals and cause leaks. this often, if not always, happened when switching from to dino to m1. advances in oil and gaskets have eliminated this.

I'm no oil expert for sure....been using M1 5-30 in the Armada since new (40k) and no leaks or consumption. I have some M1 left but would go with the PP and sleep just as well!! I'm confident my vehicle wouldn't know the difference betwene the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back