Mobil 1 vs Fran Ultra oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram Ultra. It's cheaper, has a better media, solid efficiency ratings, has a nice grip and can go the distance. Cut n posts pics look much better with the Ultra than the M1, in my opinion.

I just cut open a Fram Ultra that came off a 7500 mi. OC. Best quality filter out of any I've had apart, by a long shot. Media was immaculate, thick and wire backed, bypass had some extra parts I've never seen on other filters-- a plastic thing that appeared to make it open up more squarely. The Mobil1 is just a top-tier Champ Labs (at least they used to be) likely with a thicker can and synthetic media. I'll keep buying Fram Ultras as long as they stay around the $10 mark or below.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I just cut open a Fram Ultra that came off a 7500 mi. OC. Best quality filter out of any I've had apart, by a long shot. Media was immaculate, thick and wire backed, bypass had some extra parts I've never seen on other filters-- a plastic thing that appeared to make it open up more squarely. The Mobil1 is just a top-tier Champ Labs (at least they used to be) likely with a thicker can and synthetic media. I'll keep buying Fram Ultras as long as they stay around the $10 mark or below.

Mobil 1 is a synblend media, not full synthetic.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4463054/Mobil_1_Annual_Filter#Post4463054

These days I agree with choosing the Fram Ultra between those 2 options. The only cut open "A" suffix M1 AP filter I've seen posted here had horrenfous pleat spacing, and the "A" suffix M1 dropped the filter efficiency to get the 20K mile rating.

Peviously I really liked the prior construction quality of M1 EP series oil filters along with the then superior M1 EP oil filter warranty.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Mobil 1 is a synblend media, not full synthetic.

Is that true for the can filters too? For a long time, most companies outsourced the cartridge filters to Mann, Hengst, etc. since they had no means for producing cartridge filters at an acceptable cost, and hadn't made the investment in them yet. So you had all sorts of oddities between packaging and what was inside-- IE, a Fram box with a Mann filter (just an example, not saying that example is accurate.)

edit-- I see on Mobil's website, their oil filter line is advertised as semi-synthetic.

The Mobil 1 is not a wire backed synthetic media filter. Easy decision.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LotI
I buy Fram, never head of Fran.

Doesn't she have that obnoxios voice?
lol.gif

No question for me... I would go with the Fram Ultra. Much better media and construction. I also like the sure grip paint. Mobil 1 filters are not bad, but I think they're riding on their name when you consider the modern high-end synthetic media filters on the market.

Fram Ultra.
As said, lower cost, better media and filtration, holes in center tube, not louvers (although M1 seems to have good, open louvers) and better pleat spacing (at least with the one M1 I cut open).

Many still are Fram haters with no valid reason.
Also, if you buy Mobil 1 Annual oil, you need a Mobil 1 Annual filter, right? That is what they are banking on for sure.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Both are fine by me ...

Yep Walmart is 9.97 on the M1 and I just picked up a XG4967 for $7.64 and a XG9100 for $8.40.

I like the thread end bypass design over the dome end bypass design. On my next OCI I will be using a M1-M209 oil filter, which does have the thread end bypass. Don't get me wrong, I think the FU is the BEST oil filter on the market. I have a M1 on my shelf, and not a FU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back