Mobil 1 vs Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
so yesterday, i was walking through walmart looking for some 5.56 and stopped by the oil section..

Mobil 1 was $22.66 were as Castrol Edge was only $21.66

I been debating on giving it an try.. I have been using Mobil 1 for the past decade and am very pleased with the results..

anyone notice improvements with edge?

283k is a fantastic run for an engine. You say you're very pleased with the results with M1. Why fix what ain't broke? Surely it's not the $1 you will save, right?

yeah.. With Mobil 1 I'm pleased..

is not the $1.. i'm curious how it would run with Edge...

Considering M-1 circa is not the same as M-1 in 2014. Give Edge a try you may be pleasantly surprised. If not you can always go back to M-1.

I have a very hard time believing that you could tell a difference regardless of which one you used. If someone else did the oil change and didn't reveal the oil, I would be willing to bet that you'd never know. So my advice would be use what you've been doing, flip a coin, pick the one whose bottle appeals more to you or whatever. That being said, the "if it ain't broke don't fixit" response has some merit.

You missed the $5 off coupon on Edge last month, it was easy for me to get Edge with the $5 coupon. Now I'd just take a stab at Mobil 1, there's a $12 rebate that doesn't mention Walmart, but if you call Mobil, they say it also qualifies. Whether you will actually get it is another story as I think the same thing happened last time. There's a big thread about this over at slickdeals.net. They also have the rebate form you can try and send in to see if you get the $12 back.

My '96 V-6 Camry has 308,000 miles. Original engine (yes, it's the so-called sludge monster) and original A-541 Asian transmission. New valve cover gaskets...no internal mechanical work on trans. or the V-6. Zero sludge, no oil usage. The oil? Mobil-1 and M-1 ATF (Calls for Dexron II). That kind of service is testimony both to M-1 & to Toyota. I am convinced Edge is excellent oil...but I KNOW Mobil-1 is. I ain't changing brands.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
You missed the $5 off coupon on Edge last month, it was easy for me to get Edge with the $5 coupon. Now I'd just take a stab at Mobil 1, there's a $12 rebate that doesn't mention Walmart, but if you call Mobil, they say it also qualifies. Whether you will actually get it is another story as I think the same thing happened last time. There's a big thread about this over at slickdeals.net. They also have the rebate form you can try and send in to see if you get the $12 back.

yes $16.66 per jug was a sweet deal.

Amazon.com has Mobil 1 for 22.66 as well and do qualify for the Mobil 1 rebate as I called & confirmed, so 22.66 - 12 = $10.66 x 2 (2 limit), sounds amazing as well.

I recently read an article which stated that switching to different brand oil (after using one brand for awhile), might not be beneficial to your engine.

Since you've been using M-1 for so long, and everything is going well....IMO, no sense in changing to Castrol.

As you can see, I'm an M-1 devotee and believe its one of the best oils on the market, and reasonably priced as well.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I recently read an article which stated that switching to different brand oil (after using one brand for awhile), might not be beneficial to your engine.

Since you've been using M-1 for so long, and everything is going well....IMO, no sense in changing to Castrol.

As you can see, I'm an M-1 devotee and believe its one of the best oils on the market, and reasonably priced as well.

well...let me show you what happens to a car's valvetrain when you keep switching oil brands...as you can see from my signature, that's what I've been doing...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2633497/1

I don't know if you're willing to risk having your engine look like this...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

well...let me show you what happens to a car's valvetrain when you keep switching oil brands...as you can see from my signature, that's what I've been doing...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2633230/Warning:_Valve_train_pics_afte#Post2633230

I don't know if you're willing to risk having your engine look like this...

Hehehe.

I haven't used the same oil consistently in any vehicle I've owned for years and every single one of them is spotless inside.
Now I'm not going to trash any brand or grade here,because today's certified products are basically equal across the board and therefore I seriously doubt switching brands that have the same certs will cause any deposit problems whatsoever,at least not on this planet.
I can find articles that state eating raw foods such as chicken and pork is more healthful than cooked,and I can find articles that say the exact opposite so to even bring that up as a point to shoot from is laughable at best.

Use whatever brand you like. If it is certified to meet the specs of the engine it's poured in I guarantee there won't be any problems.
Just ask Porsche. They state that if a brand if oil meet/approved by them then it's equal to any other that is approved by them.
Unless someone here wants to say they don't know what they are talking about.

Would you have the $12 dollars coupon by any chance? or an link to it?

You being a devotee is your choice and something I have nothing against but the logic your using is flawed, I'm not sure how old you are but modern day branded motor oils as long as they meet the current specs, they are more then capable of protecting your engine.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Astro14 said:
Oregoonian said:
I can find articles that state eating raw foods such as chicken and pork is more healthful than cooked,and I can find articles that say the exact opposite so to even bring that up as a point to shoot from is laughable at best.

Use whatever brand you like. If it is certified to meet the specs of the engine it's poured in I guarantee there won't be any problems.
Just ask Porsche. They state that if a brand if oil meet/approved by them then it's equal to any other that is approved by them.

But I'll bet you cook that chicken and pork in the same Wesson corn oil every time.

celica..

thank you..

I'm going to stop by walmart later tonight and pick up 2 bottles of it..

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Astro14 said:
Oregoonian said:

But I'll bet you cook that chicken and pork in the same Wesson corn oil every time.

I'm a BBQ kinda guy.
I read an article that said it's the best way to cook because the fat renders off.
But not burgers,they taste better,according to an article I read if you cook them on a cast iron pan so they fry in their own juices.
Well according to the article anyway......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back