castrol edge & mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know this is a can of worms and i have been using Mobil 1 since 1988 and have been satisfied with it. now my question Mobil 1 verse castrol edge castrol claims that their edge out perform Mobil 1 by 8 times or some thing like that.i read a little on here last night at 1:30am (stupid me)for being up that late. one guy post a letter from the API about Mobil 1 meeting all the api specs but castrol edge claims that the edge will reduce wear 8 times better than Mobil 1. if castrol edge is 8 times better then i want to use it but if its not 8 times better i will keep using Mobil 1. the cost of oil is not a deal breaker for me i just want the best oil that i can get for my cars we drive our cars a long time. i drive a 2000 vw beetle tdi & use Mobil 1 5w40 turbo truck & SUV oil in it and the wife has a 2003 VW beetle with a 2.0 gas engine that gets Mobil 1 0w40. so whats the best oil of the two i never did fine the answer that i was looking for last night.

M1 is a darn good oil and the Edge commercial stating 8x better wear protection is Marketing [censored]. So if any car can last 200K Miles on M1 that means that Edge will make ir go 1.6 Million miles? I don't think so!

Edge is an extended OCI oil like Mobil 1 EP (Extended Protection). Both are guaranteed to go up to 15,000 miles for OCI. If you look closely at the advertising, Castrol claims that Edge is unsurpassed by Mobil 1 EP, which means they think it is about the same. The 8X thing for regular Mobil 1 was based on one test done by/for Valvoline last year on M1 5w-30. We don't have any proof that the test is representative of M1 5W-30 or that it can be repeated. The particular test in question involves rebuilding a 1994 Nissan KA24E, 2.4-liter, water-cooled, fuel-injected engine, 4-cylinder in-line, overhead camshaft with 2 intake valves, and 1 exhaust valve per cylinder. Probably Valvoline found a problem with one test sample for M1 that was caused by faulty engine rebuild. http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/GasTests/IVAtest/default.htm

tdi jerry

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Edge is an extended OCI oil like Mobil 1 EP (Extended Protection). Both are guaranteed to go up to 15,000 miles for OCI. If you look closely at the advertising, Castrol claims that Edge is unsurpassed by Mobil 1 EP, which means they think it is about the same. The 8X thing for regular Mobil 1 was based on one test done by/for Valvoline last year on M1 5w-30. We don't have any proof that the test is representative of M1 5W-30 or that it can be repeated. The particular test in question involves rebuilding a 1994 Nissan KA24E, 2.4-liter, water-cooled, fuel-injected engine, 4-cylinder in-line, overhead camshaft with 2 intake valves, and 1 exhaust valve per cylinder. Probably Valvoline found a problem with one test sample for M1 that was caused by faulty engine rebuild. http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/GasTests/IVAtest/default.htm
thanks for the info i didn't think that Mobil 1 would let castrol get the jump on them like that but most of the VW dealers here have the castrol oil that meets the VW spec and Mobil didn't sale a oil in the USA that would meet the VW TDI specs.

Originally Posted By: tdi jerry
thanks for the info i didn't think that Mobil 1 would let castrol get the jump on them like that but most of the VW dealers here have the castrol oil that meets the VW spec and Mobil didn't sale a oil in the USA that would meet the VW TDI specs.
Mobil 1 0W-40 does meet the VW specs (in addtion to MB, BMW, etc). It is sold in most large Walmarts and is factory fill for MB I believe. The following is from the M1 website: Mobil 1 0W-40 meets key industry and car builder specifications for: Mercedes MB 229.5 BMW Longlife 01 Porsche Approval List 2002 VW 502.00/505.00/503.01 GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline) GM-LL-B-025 (diesel) ACEA A3, B3/B4 API SM/CF

It's (M1 0w40) factroy fill for Porsche as well. (See article of the month by Doug Hillary.) It's a fine oil.

Last edited:
I have switched from Mobil 1 to Castrol Edge in my Corvette, because I have had some high wear (lead) readings the last 3 years. Read all the specifics here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1478463&fpart=1 Engine seems quieter with Edge, but that may just be due to new oil and filter change. At end of 6500 miles, I will do an UOA and we will see if Edge's claims are true. Unfortunately, it will take me a year to put on that mileage.

tdi jerry

my wife had a 2000 ford tempo we drove that thing 250,000 miles on Mobil 1 and it was still running good when we traded it off it had a few leaks here and their but it didn't use much oil at all.Mobil 1 has been good to me the last 25 years.

tdi jerry

Originally Posted By: tdi jerry
my wife had a 2000 ford tempo we drove that thing 250,000 miles on Mobil 1 and it was still running good when we traded it off it had a few leaks here and their but it didn't use much oil at all.Mobil 1 has been good to me the last 25 years.
i said 2000 ford tempo but it should be 1990 ford tempo i guess my brain jumped timing.

For what it's worth (maybe not much), I ran an older Mobil1 5w-30( SL rated) from my stash in my 2008 G35 then ran the Gold GC.. Noticed the engine ran quieter with the GC...

tdi_jerry... Just making sure that they didn't discontinue it up in Canada and not south of the border until 2000... Would love to have another one if I could fit in it with my back problems and height.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
BMW changed from M1 0W40 to Edge 0W40. Can't be to bad can it?
Nope. BTW, when did they do that?

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Not sure about you, but I'm sure I saw Pigs flying by my window this afternoon. ;\)

Originally Posted By: StevieC
 Originally Posted By: Trajan
Not sure about you, but I'm sure I saw Pigs flying by my window this afternoon. ;\)
Wouldn't know. I wasn't by your window ;\) I don't think the 0w40 is available in the US anyway. Didn't see any on the Castrol site. Could of missed it though.

Last edited:
If your running M1 T&SUV 5w40 and 0w40 your running some good oil there bud,i <u>highly</u>...doubt edge is 8 times better then them two oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.