Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a few quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and would like to know if it's safe to use in my 2004 Infiniti G35X transfer case? The transfer case calls for matic D transmission fluid...Thanks

mobil-1-synthetic-atf-fluid.png

There are folks who will predict gloom and doom over using this. Some even argue that you can't even substitute Matic-J, K, S, etc either - it must be Matic-D and Matic-D only.

I used Mobil Synthetic ATF+4 in my dad's van for a couple of changes and it's much better shift quality than the Mopar brand fluid. I know this is different from what you intend to use but in terms of Mobil knowing their stuff and making high quality transmissions fluids I would say they are a top-shelf fluid for sure. Use it with confidence.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
There are folks who will predict gloom and doom over using this. Some even argue that you can't even substitute Matic-J, K, S, etc either - it must be Matic-D and Matic-D only.

In my view, any fluid meeting the specs is better than Nissan OEM fluids.

I have owned three Nissans so far never found the OEM fluid to hold up.

Any time I get a new or used Nissan I change out the factory or dealer fill.

Speaking of Mobil ATF … does this bottle look familiar? Ordered for transfer cases …

D8A6B729-7CCE-486C-849C-055D670FF135.png

Originally Posted by StevieC
I used Mobil Synthetic ATF+4 in my dad's van for a couple of changes and it's much better shift quality than the Mopar brand fluid. I know this is different from what you intend to use but in terms of Mobil knowing their stuff and making high quality transmissions fluids I would say they are a top-shelf fluid for sure. Use it with confidence.

How is this possible with ATF+4 is the same across all brands?

Originally Posted by MolaKule
In my view, any fluid meeting the specs is better than Nissan OEM fluids.

I'm of the opinion that there's nothing magical about Nissan or most OEM's fluids. I don't believe that Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, etc would say one of their fluids is okay to use in a vehicle if it really wasn't. I mean, most of them make multiple fluids for this reason - they know where it works and where it doesn't.

I have no proof and it's just speculation, but I think plenty of OEM fluids are just re-labeled off-the-shelf fluids. I can see an automaker spec'ing a fluid that needs A, B, C characteristics and soliciting "bids" from the oil/fluid manufacturers. Plenty of them may come back and say (using Castrol as a simple example), "our Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle meets all of your specs and exceeds some of them". Valvoline could say the same and so on with others.

I am about to put the same M1 ATF in my FX45 transfer case (essentially similar to G35x). I've heard not to use Dex VI, as it could cause some other issues - like shuddering. Our T-Cases have electrically actuated clutch-packs in addition to the chain. Traditional T-cases have gears and a chain and less frequently a clutch pack. I think I used M1 ATF last time. M1 ATF says it is not recommended for Dex VI applications, and it is (was) recommended for Dex III and Matic D/K/J, so it seems like they are almost matching what Nissan says, which is Dex III in the case and Matic J or S in the transmission aside from the J overlap - which may have been a mineral oil? Whatever I put in last time has lasted 60K w/o issue - hopefully this time it is the same.

I'm not up to speed on all the technical specs, but this seems like a reasonable use for this oil.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by StevieC

How is this possible with ATF+4 is the same across all brands?

It's not the same across all brands. Officially licensed ATF+4 fluids use a specific basestock but the additive package can vary doesn't have to be Lubrizol as I understand it. On unofficially licensed fluids they can use PAO such as Amsoil which by the way their multi-vehicle ATF that covers many specs works superbly in ATF+4 applications especially in the winter. It was the best fluid I used in my Journey next to the M1 ATF in my dad's Caravan. My dad is not on Amsoil / M1 50% mix as of the last change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back