mobil 1 syn LS 75W-140

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a limited slip diff and was going to use this stuff but im not sure if i have to use a friction modifier. i have an 03 jeep grand cherokee with a dana 44 vari-lok.

The product description on their website says it is formulated for use with limited slip differentials. That is what the the "LS" means in the product name.

As mentioned, the Mobil 1 LS 75W140 has limited slip friction modifier in the oil premixed. Do be aware that sometimes there is not enough of it to quiet the clutch chatter and one has to add extra. Here is the quote from the Mobil web site:

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-140 LS contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid. "

In my 2002 Ford Explore with a limited slip rear diff Lucas synthetic 75W140 gear oil, which was supposed to have LS modifier in it, allowed for significant chatter, especially when cold. I thought better of the Lucas and switched to Amsoil 75W140 sever gear oil and added in friction modifier on top of it. No chatter, with the LS working well in the snow (so I know I didn't add too much!), and much quieter highway performance than the Lucas. The Mobil 1 is an equally fine gear oil so it will serve you well.

Rumple

Use as little LSD additive as needed to eliminate any LSD noise.

Mobil1 is an excellent gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back