Mobil 1 Severe Service Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is their definition of "severe service"? They never clarified. Or was it severe just because it was running 1-2qts low?
smile.gif

I think 25k miles on any oil is severe, regardless of it being stop/go or not. Oxidation is the key here and Mobil 1 has always done very well in that area. Also, 1-2qts low puts more stress on the oil.

Originally Posted By: buster
Goes to show you VOA's and UOA's mean very little.

How did you draw that conclusion based upon the video?

I think 25k miles on any oil is severe, regardless of it being stop/go or not.

Well, 25K miles of nothing but leisurely highway cruising with limited cold starts isn't all that severe, IMO.

I'd be more impressed if it was third-party conducted, not reviewed and results reported via an outlet other than "mobiloil.com"
but that's just me lol

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Goes to show you VOA's and UOA's mean very little.

How did you draw that conclusion based upon the video?

Because most people that don't see high levels of metallic additives, like zdp or calcium, think the oil is anemic and not capable. In reality, as discussed many times before, many of the newer additives are not picked up on a simple VOA. UOA's are good tools, but a complete and thorough tear down is most ideal to truly evaluate engine wear and oil performance. There is no debate about this. This is why any reputable blender will have the capability to run these tests and or outsource them to be done.

Obsessing over high viscosity index, moly, boron, starting tbn or whatever is a waste of time. On paper, the Mobil 1 doesn't look great from an additive perspective, but that obviously doesn't mean much.

I find it interesting that Mobil ran the test with 1-2qts low because that's probably very common.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Well, 25K miles of nothing but leisurely highway cruising with limited cold starts isn't all that severe, IMO.
According to that clip, that's 25,000 "simulated miles". To me that means running in one place, never going up or down hill, and running at a given speed for the whole time.Why don't they actually "drive" the car or maybe tow a trailer for some of the test?. Load it up with a couple of fat guys, or with a trunk full of junk, and run a % of the time in stop and go traffic.To me that would be a realistic test of the oil. Perfect conditions will get you perfect results.,,

FWIW that's an LX9 3.5L engine. Super-easy on oil- like 3800 easy on oil. We have one- never ran synthetic in it and it's still spotless under the valvecover now @ 170K KMs.

Having seen lease casualties with 50-60K on regular dino factory fill (and still running), these results aren't really eye popping. I'd expect any mid-tier synthetic to perform as well.

Also, mentioning the camshafts for "pitting" with roller followers and noting the crosshatching being present is kind of lame, esp. in just 25K simulated miles.

It's just an infomercial.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

According to that clip, that's 25,000 "simulated miles". To me that means running in one place, never going up or down hill, and running at a given speed for the whole time.Why don't they actually "drive" the car or maybe tow a trailer for some of the test?. Load it up with a couple of fat guys, or with a trunk full of junk, and run a % of the time in stop and go traffic.To me that would be a realistic test of the oil. Perfect conditions will get you perfect results.,,

Various conditions are met on the dyno. They don't just run at one constant speed. The performance XM post here in this and other videos is simular to the real world driving I have done for the last 36 years using M1 oils.

There is no debate about this.

Buster, the texas sharpshooter.

Look, what have we established via this video? Well, that a 3.5L GM V6, ran on a dyno in controlled conditions will deliver excellent results (wear, deposit formation, etc.).

You simply can't take the results gathered here, and apply them to every other engine and operating condition out there.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Various conditions are met on the dyno.

Like several repeated cold starts-stops between a full-engine warm up and condensation-loading, acid-forming short trips in sub-zero weather? In 25K, a LOT of those events can occur.

But I doubt they did. Still I'm wide open to their test sequence

You simply can't take the results gathered here, and apply them to every other engine and operating condition out there.

Precisely. These 'torture tests' pop up every year, and they're all mostly hokum.

did any of you bashers even watch the video..

it was 100000 miles in 3rd gear, with OCI's at 25000.

There is no debate about this.

Buster, the texas sharpshooter.

Look, what have we established via this video? Well, that a 3.5L GM V6, ran on a dyno in controlled conditions will deliver excellent results (wear, deposit formation, etc.).

You forgot they ran the test 1-2 qts low(20 to 40% low on oil in 3rd gear) for 100k at 25K OCIs. This was a severe oil test, not a typical oil endurance run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
did any of you bashers even watch the video..

it was 100000 miles in 3rd gear, with OCI's at 25000.

Apparently not.

Certifications, approvals and standardized industry testing...period.
These self serving 'tests' really do nothing to increase my confidence in a company's product.

This was a severe oil test, not a typical oil endurance run.

Actually, that's all it was -- an endurance run.

Is Mobil 1 an excellent oil? Yes.

But it's an extremely dubious assumption to draw correlations between this endurance run and real-world operating conditions (as others have already pointed out).

This was a severe oil test, not a typical oil endurance run.

Actually, that's all it was -- an endurance run.

Is Mobil 1 an excellent oil? Yes.

But it's an extremely dubious assumption to draw correlations between this endurance run and real-world operating conditions (as others have already pointed out).

Not it isn't a typical oil run. If you notice XM videos on their web site they show results for very long high mileage runs (1,000,000Kms and another 1,000,000 miles) at 10K or 15K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: wemay
These self serving 'tests' really do nothing to increase my confidence in a company's product.

Exactly. Now, a teardown comparison including (unusually) harsh, but controlled conditions between various leading synthetics would be far more interesting IMO

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Originally Posted By: wemay

Exactly. Now, a teardown comparison including (unusually) harsh, but controlled conditions between various leading synthetics would be far more interesting IMO

Actually XM does compare M1 to other nameless popular oils. Explore their web site. It's Mobil1.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back