Mobil 1 Severe Service Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Videos/Videos.aspx

3rd party reviewed.

They purposely ran M1 5w30 in a 2008 GM 3.5L V6, 1-2qts low, for 25,000 miles.

Very impressive for an oil using low calcium/mg. Goes to show you VOA's and UOA's mean very little.

Good video. Thanks for posting!

This is why I plan on doing 1 year intervals in the soob with AFE and an XG filter starting this weekend.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Kendall GT-1 wear video....with teardown, AND all the catch phrases... '30% better wear protection than leading competitor.' 'Engine looks new... yada yada'
whistle.gif

The video forgot to mention which version of their oil was tested against the conventional oil. Was the Kendall oil the conventional, blend or synthetic?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Kendall GT-1 wear video....with teardown, AND all the catch phrases... '30% better wear protection than leading competitor.' 'Engine looks new... yada yada'
whistle.gif

The video forgot to mention which version of their oil was tested against the conventional oil. Was the Kendall oil the conventional, blend or synthetic?

At 1:15 of video... 5w20 Blend

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So Mobil paid him to say the test was the most severe he has seen? Umm doubt it.

All I'm asking is for them to define what that severe test exactly entailed. Is it too much to ask? Unless you know the exact testing procedure, the test results you obtain are of limited benefit, no matter how good the intentions.

BTW, the marketers of Pure Green Coffee paid Dr. Oz to say that their weight loss pills are magic. Dr. Oz also has years of experience in his field. This stuff happens every day.

I'd like to have more details too.

I'm aware of that. Anything is possible.

whistle.gif

Good video and good oil.

Buster: Thanks for Posting this! Just provides more proof to myself that all the motors in my families autos will have a 99% chance of out living me. One less thing to worry about!

Hi,

I'm not really impressed with the critical comments made so far.

First, of course it's marketing. What else would it be? Would you rather have a 4-ball wear scar or watch a Castrol video blowing up an engine?

Second, Mobil does field and lab testing. They have rooms that can get very cold to test cold weather pump-ability and they run these cars on simulated tracks that can vary the conditions.

I'm not trying to hype up Mobil 1 or say it's the best, but I think the overall testing they did was good.

Last, if it's not severe, then run your oil 25,000 miles 2qts low and get back to me.
wink.gif
Especially TGMO. And do a tear down. Has to be 2qts low too. Then compare results to M1 EP 0w20 at 210,000 miles.

Fact: the guy doing engine tear downs for 43 years said it was among the most severe testing he has ever seen. Did Mobil pay him to say that? Doubt it.

buster - You like I are very aware of the field testing that takes place - in my case at the front end as I have stated on here a number of times. Typically this encompasses seeding via Fleet use, race events and intense tests over vast distances, typically without " controls" that may slew results. Typically they WANT to learn from this type of testing!
This quote is relevant and from:
OATS Bulletin, Global Edition, Issue 164 - September 2014

"Evidence continues to grow that the methodology being used by OEMs to establish urban cycle fuel consumption and emission figures for new vehicles are substantially out of date. While the manufacturers are prepared to admit the flaws in the existing tests, which they conduct themselves under laboratory conditions, they are also robust in challenging the EC to ensure the introduction of proposed road-based tests are equally realistic. More importantly, as vehicle components are designed to meet the challenges of rising global fuel prices, such as in the all-wheel-drive( AWD) passenger car market, the lubricants industry needs open standards that can permit not quasi parts but real interchange ability of products."

Recently I also quoted an OATS report highlighting that Daimler AG had embarked on specific tests two years ago that will overwhelm some of the existing Lab tests from API and ACEA

Sometimes technical developments have left the like of the API behind - this is never a good thing. China is finding this out at present as their market is being flooded by sub-standard lubricants that have a disastrous effect on the end users - with engine and other component failures costing a fortune!

whistle.gif

Good video and good oil.

My only gripe is that it isn't made by Kendall any more! Nothing ever got out of their Bradford, Pa refinery, when Witco ran it, without a sample going thru the lab first. Now that Kendall is no more, I don't know about that.

Originally Posted By: parmm

My only gripe is that it isn't made by Kendall any more! Nothing ever got out of their Bradford, Pa refinery, when Witco ran it, without a sample going thru the lab first. Now that Kendall is no more, I don't know about that.

Don't know too many people that have issue with ConocoPhillips' flagship oil. Or any other oil sold by them.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
I don't think independent, third-party institutions like PQIA for instance, provide free advertising for oil companies. In fact, an entirely third-party evaluation as such would be expected to provide objective data, rather than suggestive advertising fodder TBH

Yes, but something like the PQIA isn't there to evaluate all the niggling little claims that oil companies make. Their mandate is to verify that what's in the bottle is what's on the label - that is, if it says 5w-30 SN/GF-5, that's what it is. Even the PQIA doesn't go overboard in testing. They don't do HTHS, for instance, if I recall correctly.

So, while the PQIA certainly isn't providing free advertising for anyone, and they are an objective third party, they're not really set up to determine if one oil is "better" than other, unless one of them doesn't meet its claimed specs in the first place.

Yes, it's marketing, but, I think Mobil deserves some credit and respect for performing these tests. How many of the other oil makers show videos and pictures of their oil's performance? Videos showing the teardowns of engines and you can see the various engine parts? There is Kendall and their New York Taxi engine teardown, Schaeffer has their million mile van teardown, Chevron Delo has videos showing teardowns on their website. Amsoil, whom I view as a competitor to Mobil as far as performance and ability to go long drain intervals, did their own Las Vegas taxi cab teardown a couple of years ago. Frankly, I was a little disappointed with them. Yes, they posted pictures of the various transmission and engine parts, but I wanted to see the pistons, crankshaft, and especially the main bearings. These weren't included.

I know some are questioning the testing methods, wither they are truly "severe", or really mimic "real world" conditions, but, I think Mobil should be given credit for at least running the tests in the first place. It shows their confidence in their product, and the product's ability to protect and perform in an engine, and the ability of the oil to go the distance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Bottom line..... Its a great oil that will do its job.

Although not a fan of these tests, i agree with you concerning the bottom line.

Originally Posted By: Garak

So, while the PQIA certainly isn't providing free advertising for anyone, and they are an objective third party, they're not really set up to determine if one oil is "better" than other, unless one of them doesn't meet its claimed specs in the first place.

I agree. All I'm saying is an independent party very much like PQIA could be doing these tests, and can draw conclusions without the bias./marketing factor. Basically, let's see someone make evaluations who doesn't have a dog in the race.

When I have to visit mobiloil.com to read about how Mobil 1 is superior (by not being directly compared to it's competitors), I'm not wasting much time with that.

I have no preference for any oil company, and that might be apparent, unlike some who incessantly fawn over Mobil on this forum. Protip: you're not planting brand suggestions in my head, you're turning me off of the product.;)

Originally Posted By: cp3
Might be worth noting that my LX9 has a 4 quart capacity. If this is standard, 25000 mile OCIs on 2-3 quarts has to fairly tough under any conditions.

Running low is not ideal in the least, but without load-spikes and subsequent heat spikes, it can be tenable. In the real world when people run low, they're not on a dyno @ light throttle in 3rd gear lockup with cooling fans and a steady low load, they're idling in traffic for 40minutes only to floor it when traffic clears only to slam on the brakes at the next light and repeat. They're abusing those rentals and fleet vehicles that they don't own. They're making short trips to the convenience store.

As to collaborative field testing, all major oil companies are involved in such activities, however hokum like this (and Castrols engine blow test and timken tests) are NOT THAT FIELD TESTING! This kind of carnival sideshow marketing is most prevalent in this North American market, also, because we tend to have a very low standard for fodder.

Mobil 1 is an alright oil, it'll show oxidation stability that'll make the best dino jealous, but it ain't doing nothing Edge, Amsoil (eg), etc can't do.

Yes it is. It's selling for about $23 at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Mobil 1 is an alright oil, it'll show oxidation stability that'll make the best dino jealous, but it ain't doing nothing Edge, Amsoil (eg), etc can't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back