Mobil 1 oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up 2 Mobil 1 oil filters (M1-206) from Autozone last night. Upon getting them home I inspected them. One of them had a lot of steel shavings in the threads. I had some other brands of filters on-hand so looked at them too. All of them were OK. Just be sure that you check any filter over before installing it.

I,ve seen the same thing in other filters and given the same warning. Nobody replied so I don't know if they even cared or not. Even if you don't see any filings, if you wipe the threads you will probably wipe off a black substance that may be cutting fluid. There may be tiny particulates in this. The only really clean filters I've ever seen were a brand called Harddriver. They actually came sealed in plastic specifically so they wouldn't come dirty from the factory. They used to cost $10 each but now-a-days they are $20 and are harder to find. I used to have some specs on them that said they filtered very well while flowing well too. I used them for quite a few years, but now I'm using Mobil 1.

In Canada the AC Delco filters all come wrapped in plastic. They are made by Wix up here. I've never seen any filings on these filters. But then again I've never seen any on any of the filters I've used in the past, including Purolator Premium Plus and PureONE, Mobil 1, Amsoil, K&N, and even Fram (back before I knew better)

I've always hated the fact that the AC Delcos come wrapped in plastic up here, because they don't include a box with the filter. So when you pull off the old filter, you don't have a nice little box to put them in so that you can safely transport them to the recycling center. I end up putting them in a big ziploc bag, but I find that the oil eats through it after a while too, so then I need to double bag it to transport it anywhere.

Another thing that suprised me was I thought that the threads on the better filters were roll formed and not cut threads. I didn't think that rolled threads would create shavings. To my knowledge the Mobil 1 filters are made by Champ Labs here in the States.
BTW, the other filters I had on hand were Amsoil, Supertech, & AC Delco Ultragard Gold. None of these filters had any visible contamination. All of them had the black grease that probably was used as part of the thread foaming process.
I cleaned the one filter up and ran a strong magnet over the threads and it didnot pick up any foriegn objects. I hasn't been a practice of mine to check filters this close in the past, but it will be now. I even ran the magnet down inside the filters to see if I could pick up anything. Nothing showed up.
The last Amsoil filters I ordered were wrapped in plastic with no box.
I used to use Hardriver oil filters also. After dissecting a AC Delco UltraGard Gold filter I was amazed at how similier these two filters are in the construction. Especially, the wire backed media.

Regards,

westex

[ January 03, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: westex39 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back