Mobil 1 Filter

I plan on changing my oil in a 2017 Jetta 1.8 with Mobil 1 Synthetic. I thought at one time Mobil 1 was a good filter. How do they stack up against
the best of todays filters? thanks for the info

I haven't found a better cartridge filter than K&N, especially for the price. I've run them as far as 15k, and they are always in tact, not wavy and falling apart like some other brands.

I think you need an HP 7038

K&N

Look at the price difference:

Baldwin

Hengst

Wix has the WL10024, but I don't like the way they tend to deform when running them 10k in my applications.

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
I plan on changing my oil in a 2017 Jetta 1.8 with Mobil 1 Synthetic. I thought at one time Mobil 1 was a good filter. How do they stack up against

Maybe at one point it was, But for what I have seen on here and reviews online quality has gone down that I no longer have it on my "list"

For my fleet and what I recommend to others are WIX or Fram XG/Titanium
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Originally Posted by montero1

I haven't found a better cartridge filter than K&N, especially for the price. I've run them as far as 15k, and they are always in tact, not wavy and falling apart like some other brands.

K&N

Baldwin

Hengst

Wix has the WL10024, but I don't like the way they tend to deform when running them 10k in my applications.

I think the K&N and Mobil 1 filters all come out of the same manufacturing plant. Champion.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by montero1

K&N

Baldwin

Hengst

I think the K&N and Mobil 1 filters all come out of the same manufacturing plant. Champion.

I had a K&N PS-7004 cartridge oil filter that was clearly labeled as being made in Korea. I presume to think it was made by Mann-Hummel.

Whatever the case may be I agree with my montero1 about the quality and performance of the filter for the price. It exceeded my expectations and cost less than the other comparable filters by a good margin.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...idge-oil-filter-10-000-miles#Post5454314

Originally Posted by rrretiree7

Does Exxon even make oil for that engine?
0W40 FS?

I will allow that.

We now return you to your regular programming.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 filters are good filters. They are not the best, they are not great, but they sure are good. For the money you'll spend on a M1 filter, you can get a better filter... I'm talking about value. Try Fram Ultra, Fram Tough Guard... they are "better" than M1 for the same price. Or try Denso, Bosch, Wix, etc... they are about the same quality as M1 filter for less money. My $0.02

When Mobil included the filter in their rebate making it around 5 bucks, I would buy them with the oil. This year they didn't do that, so I went OEM. The Mobil filter isn't worth 10 bucks or more, as others have said Fram ultra is the better buy for 8-9 bucks. For the cheapest option I would look at Fram extra/tough guard or OEM depending on your needs.

Frankly,

I wouldn't use an aftermarket filter here. Cruise the relevant forums at the ‘TEX and you will find reports of problems with several including ultras and mobil1, mobil one recently switched suppliers (at least allegedly) but the new (alleged) supplier isn't confidence inspiring.

The OE filter here is not unreasonably expensive and is as good as any if not better than most.

Back