Mobil 1 Extended Performance

How does Mobil 1 Extended Performance work? It's starts out with similar TBN to standard M1 which is around 9.0. ACEA A3/B4 for an extended drain oil requires a minimum starting TBN of 10.0. Any insights into what makes this oil tick?

Last edited:
Their is less value with tbn now with our improvd low sulphuric gasoline and better base oils across the board. thr organic adds are also not readily visible, making VOA’s and PDS’s and SDS’s less valuable in comparing. I figure if they label it extended performance or 20 KOL they’ve done their research and they formulated it for the task. You can do a used oral analysis and if the vehicle is in the proper condition and has an appropriate sump capacity to run the interval it shouldn’t have a problem.

Their is less value with tbn now with our improvd low sulphuric gasoline and better base oils across the board. thr organic adds are also not readily visible, making VOA’s and PDS’s and SDS’s less valuable in comparing. I figure if they label it extended performance or 20 KOL they’ve done their research and they formulated it for the task. You can do a used oral analysis and if the vehicle is in the proper condition and has an appropriate sump capacity to run the interval it shouldn’t have a problem.

I'm not saying it doesn't work. Europe has had low sulphur fuel for years and still agreed on a 10 TBN minimum. This make me think something Mobil is doing is unique.

Incidentally while a lot of people like the ESP line at Mobil I have a spot for the M1 EP HM 5W-30.

From what I read the noack of those EP oils from most brands are lower, and they use base that resist oxidation better, and of course higher TBN. My guess is the EP oils can go past 15K by a bit, and the regular syn can go past 10K by quite a bit in reality (i.e. 12.5K) for the same test condition.

That is in my Explorer right now. Have also run 0w20 EP and 0w30 AFE all on 10,000 OCI. Never used a drop and honestly I can't tell a difference, and that is a good thing.

0w-20 EP is 60-70% PAO, which makes it special in this price range. The only issue its out of stock everywhere :cry:

I've been using Extended Performance High Mileage and like it very much

How does it differ to the non HM variant?

The 5W-30 EP HM has a pretty high flash point and I suspect a higher HTHS (although that's no longer listed) than the regular M1 and M1 EP and although I don't think flashpoint is the answer some think it is I still prefer it higher.

I’m

what would be the “minus” for 60-70% PAO content?

Lot's of different PAO so it can vary but as an example it's possible the wear numbers wouldn't be quite as good. However you shouldn't lose sight of the fact that oil is a fully formulated product and you can't really conclude anything by just looking at the base used. It's very possible to build a superior product from various bases. Just ask Ferrari about the oil they use in Formula 1 (Primarily GIII+ unless it's changed).

However you shouldn't lose sight of the fact that oil is a fully formulated product and you can't really conclude anything by just looking at the base used
I am sure Mobil1 knows how to formulate PAO base after so many years in market, especially if they stand by 20k/1yr

I am sure Mobil1 knows how to formulate PAO base after so many years in market, especially if they stand by 20k/1yr

I would suspect it's the most economical way for them
to meet their design goals with the fully formulated M1 EP 0W-20. That's not criticism its simply the fact that they have a set of goals including production cost. They likely have several different "formulas" they developed that meet those goals. If the economics change the formula changes.

Just ask Ferrari about the oil they use in Formula 1 (Primarily GIII+ unless it's changed
all these sponsored OEM advertisements in super cars are a joke. They pick whoever offers them a better deal. Ferrari still has 24 month/20k warranty, and there is a lot of small print if you take it to the track

all these sponsored OEM advertisements in super cars are a joke. They pick whoever offers them a better deal. Ferrari still has 24 month/20k warranty, and there is a lot of small print if you take it to the track

I was talking specifically about the race team and the fact that Shell was able to meet the horsepower and durability goals with a GIII+. Lubricant testing for every last advantage is a huge deal in NASCAR and I would think Formula 1 research makes that look like a Cessna 152 compared to an F35A.

most economical way for them
to meet their design goals with the fully formulated M1 EP 0W-20
Cant be economical, PAO costs a lot more. I do agree that formulation can be changed at any time, and they probably will change it

I was talking specifically about the race team and the fact that Shell was able to meet the horsepower and durability goals with a GIII
I am not disputing that they were able to meet the objectives. Do you think other reputable manufactures like Castrol and Mobil1 could not meet these requirements? There is a lot of money involved in picking official OEM oil, so I dont pay too much attention who is picked.

Back