Mobil 1 EP vs Pennzoil Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil on my 04 Honda Pilot. I was running Mobil 1 EP (Fram filter) and just changed it with 7,860 miles on it.

I refilled it with Pennzoil full synthetic (gray bottle) using a supertech filter.

I was curious what the forum thought was the better oil.

Both oils were 5W20 as recommended by Honda.

I am sending out a sample of the used Mobil 1 to Blackstone tomorrow.

I would like to run the M1 or Penn Syn to 10K OCI. I recently switched to synthetic and wanted to complete an analysis before I drove to 10K on a single change.

I might add, the majority of the miles on this car is around town. Unfortunately not much highway driving. It also gets really hot here in Socal in the summer.

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Both are excellent oils. Pennzoil Platinum (PP) is the darling here on this board due to great used oil analysis and lower cost. The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with ether oil.

BTW, if you are already paying to get a UOA done on the Mobil 1 and assuming it does well I would just stick with the known variables.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 EP claims to be able to go 10,000 + miles. PP does not.

Nod has to go to Mobil 1.

i find both my honda motors love PP, I just switched my prelude from Amsoil ASL to PP and I love it. Not that ASL was bad, it was not at all, but I find PP cheaper, easily attainable and makes my motor quieter :p

Originally Posted By: Gilitar
Both are excellent oils. Pennzoil Platinum (PP) is the darling here on this board due to great used oil analysis and lower cost. The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with ether oil.

BTW, if you are already paying to get a UOA done on the Mobil 1 and assuming it does well I would just stick with the known variables.

Continual use of Mobil 1 would be the logical thing since I am doing a UOA. However, I had 5 quarts of PP sitting around that I needed to use so I dumped it in.

You are running great oils, why use such [censored] oil filters? It makes zero sense...

Either one is fine...

I'm trying PP on this oil change after M1...darn oil still looks good!

And what's wrong with ST filters? It's still a good filter....

Originally Posted By: fito
You are running great oils, why use such [censored] oil filters? It makes zero sense...

smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: fito

If thats the case, what type of filters do you recommend?

I've read (on this forum) that Supertech filters do a great job.

Did I miss something here?

I do 10,000 OCIs with the M1 EP. Last year I did two UOAs and their was a lot of life left in the oil.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I think the Mobil EP is good for 15000 nad the regular Mobil is 10000?

That's right.

put a valvoline 5-20 group III dexos I synthetic in girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5DI for the first change at 1,000, car took a qt in 2,000 + looking for more later. at 5700 changed to AMS signature series 5-30, now at 10,xxx no oil added. the watery 5-20 burning off can add to direct injection carbon WOE's as well. its AMS all the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back