Mobil 1 EP 0W-20, 5000 miles, 2019 Lexus RX 350

Another nice boring UOA where Mobil EP held up well and there seems to be plenty of TBN left. The previous run was Kendall GT-1 Max which also did well with plenty of TBN left. I put 0W-20 Castrol Edge EP 20K in the sump for this run and will be going to 10K mile oil and oil filter intervals and that will have me changing the oil/filter once per year.

Lexus April 2022.jpg

Looks nice, TBN won't be a problem but Visc might be worth keeping an eye on as you go beyond 5,000, the Castrol should handle that as best as can be expected. I just put up 20 quarts of the Mobil 1 0w20 ep for the wife's Highlander, will look forward to a UOA if you do one with the Castrol!

That's about as good as a UOA gets. Print it off and use it as a postcard to send to gearhead buddies.

I've seen a VOA of Kendall GT-1 Max and it didn't have Titanium. But your UOA does. Did you use an additive or maybe that's a different formulation?

Depending on what kind of driving you do, I would reconsider the once a year idea. I like twice a year, right before it gets cold out and right before it gets hot out. Your engine will last longer and have less crap inside. Newer vehicles are harder on oil. Maybe it's watching those FordBoss videos of toasted low mile engines with extended oil change intervals that is swaying me. He recommends 5000 miles max.
What does Toyota recommend?

Depending on what kind of driving you do, I would reconsider the once a year idea. I like twice a year, right before it gets cold out and right before it gets hot out. Your engine will last longer and have less crap inside. Newer vehicles are harder on oil. Maybe it's watching those FordBoss videos of toasted low mile engines with extended oil change intervals that is swaying me. He recommends 5000 miles max.
I drive 10k very easy miles every year. Castrol Edge EP should have no problem. Toyota/Lexus recommends 10k.

That's about as good as a UOA gets. Print it off and use it as a postcard to send to gearhead buddies.

I've seen a VOA of Kendall GT-1 Max and it didn't have Titanium. But your UOA does. Did you use an additive or maybe that's a different formulation?
It was the older version before they removed the Ti.

Oh no, not that fordboss guy. 🤦🏻‍♂️ He literally recommends 3k intervals or else your engine will be TOAST (according to some problematic FORDS he’s come across). Nonsense.

Sure some engine are harder on oil then others. Sure some driving styles and conditions are harder on oil then others but you can’t just make a blanket statement like that For EVERYONE to follow blindly. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Maybe engines will live a long and happy life @ 7,500 - 10k mile intervals where oiling issues won’t be what sends the car to the scrap yard 10, 15, or 20+ years down the road. I think keeping track of oil consumption (if your engine suffers from this) is more important. Engines blow from lack of Lube, not from OCI

Oh no, not that fordboss guy. 🤦🏻‍♂️ He literally recommends 3k intervals or else your engine will be TOAST (according to some problematic FORDS he’s come across). Nonsense.

Sure some engine are harder on oil then others. Sure some driving styles and conditions are harder on oil then others but you can’t just make a blanket statement like that For EVERYONE to follow blindly. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Maybe engines will live a long and happy life @ 7,500 - 10k mile intervals where oiling issues won’t be what sends the car to the scrap yard 10, 15, or 20+ years down the road. I think keeping track of oil consumption (if your engine suffers from this) is more important. Engines blow from lack of Lube, not from OCI
Actually, 5000 miles is what he recommends. When he shows engines apart and what's wrong with them. It seems reasonable. Oil is cheap compared to what an engine costs. If changing oil more than once a year is too expensive or hard, I don't know what to tell you.

Actually, 5000 miles is what he recommends. When he shows engines apart and what's wrong with them. It seems reasonable. Oil is cheap compared to what an engine costs. If changing oil more than once a year is too expensive or hard, I don't know what to tell you.

Nah, from the very beginning he was screaming about 3k intervals all his life. 5k MAX is what he now says but there are vids of him saying once he’s done messing around with his experiments he will go back to 3k OCIs because it’s engraved in his stupid head.

As a supposed master tech, he sure does spit a lot of false info and rambles on about stuff he doesn’t even fully understand but tries to act like he’s an all powerful know it all. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I watched a few vids and couldn’t handle the shoveling of horse manure.

Yes oil is cheap but throwing away perfectly good oil is also stupid.

Every engine is different and demands different maintenance to be healthy. Figure out what yours needs (according to your driving style and conditions) and rack on the miles in peace. It’s not rocket science. The owners manual gives you a very good starting point. You have to REALLY TRY HARD (or have a poorly engineered / defective engine) to destroy an engine due to LUBRICATION Failure. 👍🏼

Another nice boring UOA where Mobil EP held up well and there seems to be plenty of TBN left. The previous run was Kendall GT-1 Max which also did well with plenty of TBN left. I put 0W-20 Castrol Edge EP 20K in the sump for this run and will be going to 10K mile oil and oil filter intervals and that will have me changing the oil/filter once per year.

View attachment 97155
great report. This engine is really under loaded in the rx350. Easy life. I would follow the factory recommended interval and enjoy the vehicle. I have not seen any evidence that the 2gr fks can’t handle 1 year 10 k factory recommendation's with any properly rated oil.

Yup looks great.

Just like it should with a newish clean running engine, throwing away expensive barely used oil.

Id bet you'll be good at 10K.

Thanks, everyone. Yeah...I'm not looking to go +500K miles on these vehicles as that would probably require bequeathing my vehicles to my great-grandkids (my oldest is only 16) and averaging only 10K miles per year I plan to keep the RX350 and Tundra for about 10-12 years and 100-120k miles. I've decided to kick my "oil habit" and I'm simplifying my life by using Castrol Edge EP 20K and OEM oil filters from now on. I think 10k mile OCIs will do just fine.

I drive 10k very easy miles every year. Castrol Edge EP should have no problem. Toyota/Lexus recommends 10k.
You will have an oil burner at 100,000 miles if you do 10,000 mile OCI. That 10,000 mile interval is only to keep cost of ownership low, just like a sealed transmission ‘lifetime’ fluid.

Back