Mobil 1 "classic" now much thicker?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went to the Mobil 1 site and looked up the PDS for "classic" Mobil 1 (not EP) and they are now listing the viscosity of 5W-30 as 64.8/11.3 where the SL oil was 56/10...interestingly, the "new" EP 5W-30 is listed as 57.3/10.5...

Hmmm...

I've now got 2 jugs of classic in the SM formulation on my shelf that I'm afraid to use now, as I had originally and specifically selected Mobil 1 5W-30 because it was considered a "thin" 30...this new stuff looks to be thicker and I'm hesitant to use in in my car, which calls for 5W-20. (It's an '03 DOHC 4.6L Ford, BTW)

Before anyone flames me for NOT using 5W-20, I realise it's turned out to be a good oil, but I have recently added a supercharger to the car, and I think 5W-30 is more appropriate for this use, however I don't want to go TOO much thicker, as it seems classic Mobil 1 has become.

I guess I'll just abandon the stuff I have and P/U a jug of the new EP for my next oil change...

I'd stay with what you have. Alot of Ford owners move up to 5W-30 when the warranty expires.... some even prior. If yours is the typical 3/36, then yours is either expired/or about to expire.

quote:

Do you really think .8 cst is going to make any difference?

Sorry, I should have been more clear that I was referring to the 40°C viscosity...it went from 56 to 64.8; that's a difference of 8.8 cSt...and now that winter's coming, yes I think that might make a difference.

I use Motorcraft 5W-20 in my 2002 F-150 only because it appears to be a better oil than similarly priced dino 5W-30 oils. However I would have have no problems using a quality 5W-30 blend such as Schaeffers or a full true synthetic 5W-30. While 5W-20 was most likely was spec'd for CAFE regs it turned out to be a better quality oil than dino 5W-30 at the time it was introduced. Today who knows
dunno.gif
. But I have 2 cases of Motorcraft 5W-20 bought at Walmart when they were closing out of Motorcraft products. So I'm going to use that oil up first before I decide what to use next. I'm not rich like you guys where I can have a stash of oil and decide I want to change oil brands or type
grin.gif

Whimsey

Don't worry, I've posted a UOA of my dad's Honda V-6 that calls for 5W-20, but we used 5W-40. The UOA was flawless. It won't be a problem. If it were my supercharged engine, I'd go thicker than 5W-30.

I would be MORE worried over if it has all the right specs. What I mean is does it have the starburst and donut labels or is it the post Katrina oil.
crushedcar.gif
dunno.gif

quote:

777:
I'd stay with what you have. Alot of Ford owners move up to 5W-30 when the warranty expires.... some even prior. If yours is the typical 3/36, then yours is either expired/or about to expire.

quote:

RF Overlord:

...but I have recently added a supercharger to the car...

No warranty issue here I would guess.

Overlord, I would think you would have no problems with 5w-30. BTW, what motor/ vehicle?

blupupher, it's an '03 Marauder...

BIGJ, yes the oil I have DOES have the API donut and the starburst. I bought it at Wally World the last week in Sept.

On further thought and research, I found that Mobil 1 0W-30 now has the EXACT same viscosity ratings as the (old) 5W-30...56/10, so I may pick up a jug of that to use for the winter, and use up my stock of the "thicker" SM 5W-30 in the summer. Problem solved, but I'm still curious why the big change...

MY guess is as follows:

Take 100 cars and fill these with the old formula changing at the prescribed intervals.

Also Take another 100 cars and fill with the new formula changing at the prescribed intervals.

Runs this fleet for 200,000 miles each.

Tear down all 200 engines and use a precision micrometer (0.000,1 accuracy) to measure wear. 90 engines from each fleet will not measure any different. 5 engines from each fleet will measure different but not enough to matter. 5 engines from each fleet will measure different enough to matter but there is no, way right, now to determine if these 5 will come from the thinner oils or the thicker oils.

"I'm afraid to use now"

a few Cst one way or the other doesn't matter.

This web site does more harm than good sometimes.

"This web site does more harm than good sometimes. "
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Every day on my 37 mile round trip commute I pass at least a dozen cars on the side of the road with failed engines due to (insert your pet reason here).

12 dead cars in 37 miles?

I COULD say something catty like you live too close to Detroit....but I won't.

Nascarnation, where do you live and what traffic conditions do you have to see so many cars along the road with dead engines? That seems extreme!

My commute here in central KY is twice as long and I have only seen two cars with "hoods up" in 6 years.

Just my observation

quote:

...On further thought and research, I found that Mobil 1 0W-30 now has the EXACT same viscosity ratings...

offtopic.gif
Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to find this particular viscosity (0-30) of M1 on the shelves anywhere? I ask because I've been searching high and low for this particular product, yet no one seems to stock it.
dunno.gif

cheers.gif

I searched high and low and also in between but finally gave up and will just go with 5w-30 this winter. Not worth all the aggravation I suppose.

Lukey

quote:

offtopic.gif
Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to find this particular viscosity (0-30) of M1 on the shelves anywhere? I ask because I've been searching high and low for this particular product, yet no one seems to stock it.
dunno.gif

I guess I spoke too soon... Stopped by Lee Auto Parts over lunch, and found a nice stash there.
smile.gif

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back