Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel - Just for diesel trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 VW Golf TSI (gas) which calls for 5W40. I only use Mobil 1 products, but this weight says its for Turbo Diesels. Can I use it in my 6 speed Golf?

Technically, you should not, since it does not meet the numbered VW specifications your manual calls for. It might work, but you've got a new vehicle under warranty, and departing manual recommendations should be done in a reasoned fashion, and preferably out of warranty.

I'm using a similar product in my G37, but it doesn't call for anything fancy with respect to specifications, and it's my own call, and my own fault if there's a problem.

As mentioned your VW calls for a VW spec, most of which are 5W-40, but it doesn't in fact, call for 5w-40. M1 0w-40 probably meets the VW spec.

What does the OM say?

Yep, even though M1 TDT and Delvac 1 are dual rated, with this new of a car, it would be best to follow the manufacturers recommendations, unless there were some overriding reason to do otherwise, or if one could hypothetically demonstrate to VW's satisfaction that TDT would be perfectly interchangeable with the approved lube.

I use Mobil 1 0W40 and plan to keep using it, but 5W40 is what the manual calls for and at the first free oil change by the Dealer they used 5W40 as well. Probably Castrol.

Would TDT work? Sure. But it's not a good idea to use it with the car still under warranty. Look for the applicable oil spec (VW 502.00, I believe) in your manual and use an oil that meets it (not just "recommended"). Document your oil changes if done anywhere other than the dealer. VW dealers are a pain to deal with, and you don't want to give them the least reason to deny a warranty claim.

Originally Posted By: Revrick
I use Mobil 1 0W40 and plan to keep using it, but 5W40 is what the manual calls for and at the first free oil change by the Dealer they used 5W40 as well. Probably Castrol.

With an oil specification like you have for your VW, the particular grade is irrelevant. Just meet the spec.

I would recommend either:

Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula
Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP

Both of these oils meet the VW spec for gas engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back