mobil 1 5w 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did an oil change with 5w 30w mobil 1. I will keep everyone posted. I have a 2002 Taurus with the pushrod Vulcan motor. I usually change around 2500 to 3000 with Havoline 5w 30w. Will the Mobil 1 changed at 5000 miles keep the engine as clean as the dino Havoline being changed at 3000 miles? I am tired of crawling under the car so often, I dont want to go to a lube shop.

I would change the first run of M1 out a little early 4000 miles or so then run the M1 6 months or 5000-6000 miles or do a uoa and see if you can extend further.
cheers.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 4300 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 80500 Miles.

Kilo77, I think your plan will work very well. I believe that after 5,000 miles on M1 your motor will be as clean or cleaner than it would be after 3,000 miles on "dino" oil. Most late model European Luxury cars go 7,500 to 15,000 miles on synthetic oil between oil changes. The most significant difference is that they usually hold a quart or two more oil than American or Japanese built car with a similar amount of power. They also require oils that meet far more demanding specs such as the ACEA specs that Mobil One meets like A5/B5 and A3/B3 and B4.

quote:

Originally posted by kilo77:
Thanks Sin City. Just wondering, I dont see to many posts on Castrol Synthetic is it any good?

Castrol Syntech (Unless its the European version) is not really a "true synthetic". Its what is referred to as a Group III oil as opposed to Mobil 1 and Amsoil which are "true"synthetic oils Group IV. Redline is also a True Synthetic with a different base. Its a Group V oil.

BTW if you are worried about warrranty-Isn't 5W-20 required for your Taurus?

Thats the recommended viscosity in the owners manual. I have talked to 2 diffrent dealers and they have both said as long as u change it on time they dont care ( of course not 20w-50w ) I have looked in the manual and it does not say 5w 20w or no warranty. I have found out since I switched the engine seems to run a tad better and it used to rattle for about 2 seconds on a dead cold start. The rattle is gone proving that the Mobil 1 is getting to the critical parts faster than the dino. If anyone knows where it says in the manual that I have to use 5w 20w or the warranty is voided please advise.

HI KILO WHAT A COINCEDENSE I USED TO LIVE AT 1380 WEST BROWARD BLVD I TAKE U MEAN IN FT LAUDERDALE THOUGH RIGHT

Kilo77, there was a UOA posted a few days ago that showed very good wear numbers with Castrol Syntec 5W-30 that had been used in a hard driven vehicle. I think Syntec 5W-30 is better than most conventional oils but Mobil One is even better in my opinion because it meets the latest ACEA specs of A5/B5 and Castrol Syntec does not. Syntec only meets the A1/B1 specs in that viscosity. Since you are only keeping the oil in for 5,000 miles it probably will make no difference at all. Since you are using Mobil One now I would just stay with it and look out for sales and then stock up. A while back I bought some M1 for $18.88 at Walmart in a five quart jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back