Mobil 1 15w-50 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have a general question:

Mobil 1, claims that there 15w-50 grade oil contains more of the supersyn formula, or additives, then the other viscosity grades. Would that make the 15w-50 a better choice in extended drain intervals? I have a 2.2l Ecotec, and i live in NY, would it be wise to run 15w-50? Or, should i just stick with the 5w-30?

This oil would be too thick for your application, IMO.

I suspect the "extra SuperSyn" in 15w50 just reflects the fact that this heavier grade of Mobil 1 simply has more of the high viscosity SuperSyn PAO in the base oil blend.

I've always run M1 15W50 in my 20hp Wheel Horse (Onan powered) lawn tractor. It's great for an air cooled engine where it gets mucho hot in the summer.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

I suspect the "extra SuperSyn" in 15w50 just reflects the fact that this heavier grade of Mobil 1 simply has more of the high viscosity SuperSyn PAO in the base oil blend.

The Supersyn is the proprietory anti-wear technology Mobil uses in the M1 and indeed the 15w-50 has more of it to include zinc \ phos .

API SL oils heavier than 30wts are not phos capped although most other companies choose to just use the same additive pack in the brand line .

Castrol Dino would be an example of a low phos/zinc 10w-40 and 20w-50

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
The Supersyn is the proprietory anti-wear technology Mobil uses in the M1 ...

Yeah, that's the party line. I don't happen to buy it, however. We've seen Mobil tweak the AW/EP package in SuperSyn at least twice since it came out. Prior to the introduction of Mobil 1 SuperSyn, "SuperSyn®" was Mobil's trademarked name for their proprietary high vis, high VI PAO.

Quote:
"Prior to the introduction of Mobil 1 SuperSyn, "SuperSyn®" was Mobil's trademarked name for their proprietary high vis, high VI PAO. "

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ helps give your car or truck exceptional protection against engine wear, under normal or even the most extreme use. This unique motor oil features a new, proprietary SuperSyn™ anti-wear technology that provides performance beyond conventional motor oils, allowing Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ to exceed even the toughest standards of Japanese, European and U.S. automakers and the oil industry.

This is how I have seen the Supersyn decribed as before and now currently .

This unique motor oil features a new, proprietary SuperSyn™ anti-wear technology that provides performance beyond conventional motor oils,

And here Mobil you will see the

15w-50 with 1175 ppm zinc
10w-30 with 827 ppm zinc

[ June 01, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Quote:
"Prior to the introduction of Mobil 1 SuperSyn, "SuperSyn®" was Mobil's trademarked name for their proprietary high vis, high VI PAO. "

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ helps give your car or truck exceptional protection against engine wear, under normal or even the most extreme use. This unique motor oil features a new, proprietary SuperSyn™ anti-wear technology that provides performance beyond conventional motor oils, allowing Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ to exceed even the toughest standards of Japanese, European and U.S. automakers and the oil industry.

This is how I have seen the Supersyn decribed as before and now currently .

This unique motor oil features a new, proprietary SuperSyn™ anti-wear technology that provides performance beyond conventional motor oils,

ExxonMobil no longer calls this high vis, high VI SuperSyn. But here is a quote from an article about it:

quote:

Mobil Chemical's Dave Goebel, who was mentioned earlier in this article, says, "Our experience with PAO technology allows us to tailor the chemistry for added value, which in turn will open up many applications. For example, at Beaumont we've just started to manufacture a new PAO product which we've trade marked SuperSyn. While traditional PAO chemistries typically range from 2 to 100 centistokes [viscosity at 100 degrees C], we can now manufacture SuperSyn to as high as 3,000 centistokes. It gives a lot of VI boost-300-plus VI-as well as viscosity boost. Like everyone else, we're trying to differentiate ourselves and we think SuperSyn is a step-out technology."

He is simply speaking generally .We even call the Mobil Synthetic .... Supersyn most times on the forum instead of Mobil 1 .

I also have in my possesion Mobil literature given to the dealers in 2001 with all the same context as I have posted about the Anti-Wear Technology , just in different wording .

Even the infamous Supersyn Story about a shelved oil being brought out for the drag racing community refers to this Anti-Wear technology as " Tm SuperSyn ".

And here is part of an article Buster posted some time back that contains the following .

Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, which has been around for more than 25 years, is changing its formula and viscosity ratings to reflect the latest changes in automotive technology. Starting in February 2002, Mobil 1 has been reformulated with a new secret ingredient called "SuperSyn" which Mobil says will improve the oil's anti-wear and anti-friction qualities even more.

[ June 01, 2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

He is simply speaking generally .We even call the Mobil Synthetic .... Supersyn most times on the forum instead of Mobil 1 .

Do you think I'm making this stuff up? This man is speaking of a proprietary PAO base fluid that was called SuperSyn. Up until two years ago, the SuperSyn PAO data page was available at the ExxonMobil web site. This PAO is now called SpectraSyn Ultra. XOM changed the name of this PAO shortly AFTER the introduction of Mobil 1 SuperSyn.

This came out of your first post in reply to the topic question which should be reread IMO .

Do you think I'm making up the fact Mobil 15w-50 has more zinc ?
wink.gif

I am speaking of and answering a current oil technology " 15w-50 additive amounts " and trade name question for a new member and not wanting a tit for tat .

And for that aspect I am doing so accurately I do believe .
smile.gif

Mobil 1 15w50 does have more ZDDP, but that isn't "SuperSyn." If it were, then XOM would claim the new Mobil 1 0w30 race formula has "more SuperSyn" in it, but they don't.

Check out this "outdated" link at the prod.exxonmobil web site re SuperSyn PAO: SuperSyn PAO.

Also, here is a snapshot of the PAO page from a 2002 ExxonMobil product data catalog. Note the PAOs listed at the bottom of the table.

-

[ June 01, 2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

If it were, then XOM would claim the new Mobil 1 0w30 race formula has "more SuperSyn" in it, but they don't.

Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30. With a proprietary blend of high-performance synthetic basestocks fortified with SuperSynTM anti-wear technology,

This came off their website and it's current at mobil1.com
smile.gif

Do you really think they can use that 150 ,300 ,1000 or 2800 cSt base oil you listed to build their other wts in the SS line-up ?

[ June 01, 2004, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Do you really think they can use that 150 ,300 ,1000 or 2800 cSt base oil you listed to build their other wts in the SS line-up ?

Absolutely. I think they use small amounts of the 150 and possibly the 300 along with lighter grades of "regular" PAO. I think this is the primary reason why the pour point for SuperSyn Mobil 1 is higher than it was for the Tri-Syn formula—that coupled with no esters in the base oil blend.

As for the quote about Mobil 1 Racing 0w30, note that unlike the 15w50, XOM doesn't say it contains "more" SuperSyn. The 15w50 does contain more because it CAN contain more of the high vis PAO since the finished vis is quite a bit higher than the other grades.

quote:

As for the quote about Mobil 1 Racing 0w30, note that unlike the 15w50, XOM doesn't say it contains "more" SuperSyn. The 15w50 does contain more because it CAN contain more of the high vis PAO since the finished vis is quite a bit higher than the other grades.
They do say
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is a proprietary blend of high-performance synthetic basestocks fortified with SuperSyn anti-wear technology

Which I take as yet another and different set of basestocks w/ same general additives . In fact the VOA bears out the similarity but of course cannot note the basestocks used .

Please note:

It is ideal for supercharged, turbocharged and high-revving, high-performance engines used in street applications. Note: Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is a different formula than Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W-30.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Racing_0W-30.asp

Checkmate !
smile.gif

[ June 01, 2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

They do say
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is a proprietary blend of high-performance synthetic basestocks fortified with SuperSyn anti-wear technology

Which I take as yet another and different set of basestocks w/ same general additives . In fact the VOA bears out the similarity but of course cannot note the basestocks used .

This is basically the same ad copy you'll find describing any grade of Mobil 1. Examples:

0w40: "Mobil 1 0W-40 is made with a patented proprietary blend of ultra high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with Supersyn Antiwear Technology ..."

0w30: "Mobil 1 0W-30 is made with a proprietary blend of ultra high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with Supersyn Antiwear Technology ..."

0w20: "Mobil 1 0W-20 is made with a patented proprietary test blend of ultra performance synthetic basestocks fortified with the most advanced additive system available today."

15w50: "Mobil 1 15W-50 is made with a patented proprietary blend of ultra high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with Supersyn Antiwear Technology ..."

Man, that sure is a lot of quotation. Thought it was sunday for a minute.
grin.gif
I don't believe I'd reccomend that the gentleman above should run a 15w50 in new york, in an ecotec.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back