Mobil 1 10W-30 void my warranty????!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scroll down for cliff notes lol
wink.gif

Ok guys I was lazy and went to the nissan dealership and had them change the oil and I brought mobil 1 10W30 (5qt wallmart special) and the tech told me that it will void the warranty on my vq35de if i use anything other than 5W-30.

He said that it could potenitally cause sludge to build up and it gels quicker. I thought the our temp is like -47 or something *shrug*

BITOG I ask for your petroleum knowledge to help prove or debunk this statement.

I do notice better fuel economy using a synth 5w-30 but i wanted to try the 10W just for kicks...

Cliff Notes: Dealer said anything other than 5w-30= warranty bye bye.

your warranty will only be void if it can be directly related to oil failure.

The Law

Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used(see Attachment A).The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law.

If only my dealer knew the collaboration of oils that I've been using in my vehicle, they'd probably shred that paper right in front of my face.

My Honda specs 5w-20, I right now I'm using 0w30. I haven't fully bought into the "thinner is better" yet. Probably doesn't make much of a difference in the dead of winter, but tell me that 90*F days with 80%+ humidity that that 20 weight is gonna hold up well at 80 mph during a long road trip...

My owners manual for my 2005 Altima says that Nissan recommends mineral oil. 5w30 is prefered but 10w30 or 10w40 is acceptable above 0.

Everyone here must realize that 99.99% of dealers and their service departments dont know squat about oil.

I have noticed nissan dealers with the typical 3month 3000 mile "stickers" when even severe service according to the manual is 4k+ miles.

10w30 M1 flows better than any convential 5W30 at low temps.

I would be interested to see what your owners manual states. It would be even more interesting, assuming it OK's the use of 10W30, to see the response from the technician when you open it to the bookmarked page and ask him to explain why the engineers at Nissan feel it's OK but he is ready to void your warranty when using 10W30.

This assumes that the owners manual does state that 10W30 is acceptable in that engine.

What's your owners manual say? Most will spec 5w30, but say 10w30 is fine for over 32*, or something like that. Bottom line is that your engine will be fine. M1 10w30 is actually thinner at most temps than the 5w30.

Well, from a technical viewpoint, the M1 10W-30 has better high temp performance & resistance to oxidation, so it is actually a good choice for sludge protection.

As far as cold temp performance, M1 10W-30 has a very low cold crank rating of about 3800cP @ -25C(-13F). Unless you expect to see start-up's of -20F or colder, this is not an issue.

As to a viscosity comparison, generally about 10 degrees F separates the 5W-30 grade from a 10W-30.

So a cold start with 5W-30 at 40F will equal the same viscosity as 10W-30 at 50F.

Which kinda shoots down the "10W is too thick" argument.
smile.gif

from my experience with a Nissan dealer..they will use any excuse to not fix a car under warranty. If something happened to the engine, I bet they would use the 10w-30 argument even though its allowed in the manual. My dad's sentra has 5w-30 preferred, 10w-30/10w-40 over 0 degrees F. We use 10w-30. Maybe they use that 10w-30 excuse with unsuspecting people with warranty problems and had their engine fixed on their dime!

Honestky guys it really ****** me off that he would say something like that.

After reading all the replys it seems they wanted me to buy their syth!!! Instead of using my Mobil 1 10W-30.

my owners manual states that 5W-30 is preffered but I can use any oil in the temp range thing it gives.

The coldest I see here is about 0 w/o wind chill.

Thanks for the help guys I won't be going to that dealer again...**** I'll just change it my self for the worry it caused me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back