Mobil 1 0W40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Yes I guess I should clarify his father had a BMW and M1 0w40 was all he used then he sold the car and gave several 5 quart jugs to his son so he thought he would use it up.

Could he run this in the winter as well or is it to heavy?

It may or may not be ideal. It will not, however, hurt anything in the least, and he might as well use up the oil. If it were me, I'd do it.

I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out. M1 0W-40 is a thin 40. It could be considered a thick 30. It will flow better when cold and protect better under heavy load.

Would you all have the same "NO!" responses if he wanted to use BMW 5W-30? It has similar characteristics to M1 0W-40.

With a good filter, M1 0W-40 and 10k changes are all your buddy needs.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out. M1 0W-40 is a thin 40. It could be considered a thick 30. It will flow better when cold and protect better under heavy load.

Would you all have the same "NO!" responses if he wanted to use BMW 5W-30? It has similar characteristics to M1 0W-40.

With a good filter, M1 0W-40 and 10k changes are all your buddy needs.

+1

Glad YOU understand what a "thick 30' and "thin 40" is, etc. You are an asset to this community. Thank you.

Just an update I helped my friend change his oil with the M1 0W40 and his truck noticed no difference it runs just fine. I thought it may make it sluggish but it was the same.

0W40 is fine in the Toyota 4.0. Love that engine for an oil change with filter right on top! I use Mobil 1 0W40 in my 4.0 Nissan Frontier-different engine obviously and probably an engine which is more suitable for a heavier oil.

Originally Posted By: rvt
0W40 is fine in the Toyota 4.0. Love that engine for an oil change with filter right on top! I use Mobil 1 0W40 in my 4.0 Nissan Frontier-different engine obviously and probably an engine which is more suitable for a heavier oil.

Yes I had an "06" Toyota 4Runner with the same V6 and got to love that top mount filter! I have 2012 Nissan Pathfinder with the same V6 in your Frontier and that filter is not fun to change! I think I may try some M1 0W40 on my next oil change.

Yes on the 4runner I used to vacuum extract the oil so I never needed to crawl under the vehicle at all. Plus extract around the filter mount to catch anything in that valley. Although I'm sure a case could be made to crawl under and check things out for leaks etc.

Yes on the Frontier filter.. much less fun. Crank wheels to right (or left) never can remember..and go in from the RH side. Not to mention a wash up under there to rinse the oil that spilled out of the filter and wound up all over the undercarriage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You guys with thin oil cars need to stay with thin oil. The 0W-40 is for the BMW and Mercedes boys.

Isn't thicker better though?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You guys with thin oil cars need to stay with thin oil. The 0W-40 is for the BMW and Mercedes boys.

Isn't thicker better though?

No. Optimal is better.

Toyota recommends "a thicker oil" for heavy loads (towing, cargo, hills, etc.) and high-speed driving in every owners' manual. So, thicker is better for such conditions.

Regarding how thick M1 0W-40 is: Yes, it's on the thin side for an xW-40 but it's still an xW-40. Note that 15W-40 and 20W-40 are required minimum HTHSV 3.7 cP vs. 3.5 cP for 0W-40, 5W-40, and 10W-40. It's still a little thicker than "xW-35" oils such as German Castrol 0W-30 and BMW 5W-30, which also have minimum HTHSV 3.5 cP because of ACEA A3/B4 but have a little less KV100 to be considered as a borderline xW-30, even though they are more of an xW-40 because HTHSV is what really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back