Mobil 1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering this oil for my 3.8L Buick. The viscosity range is a bit scary. Anyone used it? What do you think??

I don't have warranty considerations.

Try it or stay with 10-30??

I'm thinking I like the better HT/HS and it would also be good year round.

Probably not much to gain here, but.....I may have to keep this one forever.

What viscosity does your engine call for? Some of the European cars are looking for 5w40, for which this M1 is fine. If the engine calls for 5w30, you could use that or 0w30, from pretty much any brand. The 'German' Castrol Syntec 0w50 seems to be the best OTS oil in that weight (0w30).

I would personally pick it over any of the M-1 30 weights. Just watch how much longer it stays cleaner-looking. Not that this is conclusive, but to me this alludes to the possibility of a longer OCI. Only a UOA would tell for sure if there's a difference in your application compared to M-1 0/5/10-30. Personally, I'd give it a run...

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

It's HTHS of 3.6 is not really impressive for a middle 40wt oil though, you could choose from a lot of 5w30 or 0w30 oils out there which have an HTHS value almost the same as Mobil 1 0w40.

Give it a try! Dunno if this engine is related, but it worked well for G-Man II's Olds minivan (3.4L), UOA here. Harsh winter conditions, short-trip driving too.

Only 1 ppm lead, and this is soon after a repaired intake gasket coolant leak!

[ February 02, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: quadrun1 ]

I'm using it in my V6 Accord right now and I sort of like it. The engine seemed to feel smoother and quieter than it did with the 0w30. It turned over and started just fine when it was down to zero too.

However I'll probably switch to the Delvac-1 5w40 at my next change. Not because the 0w40 is bad but because everyone seems to agree that the Delvac-1 is better.

If someone proves that the new SUV/TRUCK 5w40 is Delvac-1 I'll use that.

quote:

I'm considering this oil for my 3.8L Buick. The viscosity range is a bit scary. Anyone used it? I'm thinking I like the better HT/HS and it would also be good year round.

I suggest you read http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005265 , http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004809#000000 , and http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004860#000000 . You'll find lots of 'noise' among the useful info, but it'll be worth your time.

I'm finding several oils that meet my overall-quality and viscosity requirements and am differentiating them using HTHS viscosity ratings. Red Line's n-40s' HTHS ratings of 4.6 and 4.7 are at least 19% higher than that of the best M1 oil in this vis. range, that being 4.1 for the M1/D1 5W-40, and that 4.6 is 28% higher than M1 0W-40's 3.6 rating.

Personally, I'd stay away from 0W-(anythings) unless you live where in gets VERY cold (as in below 0dF for many days at a time); I plan to.

I'd go with the 10w-30 M1 or use an Amsoil 30wt if you want the A3 rating. All of Amsoil's X-30 wt oils are A3 rated.
smile.gif

I'm using M1 0w40 in two vehicles since last fall. No problems, no unusual noises or orccurrences so far. Why not.

Others say use GC 0W30 but it is not available in many places I am finding.

DEWPFO

Yeah, but Patman, Castrol R 0W-40's HT/HS is also at 3.6. Maybe this is the best a 0W can muster?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I'd go with the 10w-30 M1 or use an Amsoil 30wt if you want the A3 rating. All of Amsoil's X-30 wt oils are A3 rated.
smile.gif

I agrtee..If you want you could thicken up with a quart of 15W-50 M1

I have used the M1 0W40 for a few OCI's in the past and believe it to be an outstanding oil. It should work great for you in the 3.8.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Yeah, but Patman, Castrol R 0W-40's HT/HS is also at 3.6. Maybe this is the best a 0W can muster?

Interesting, I never thought of that. Does anyone know the HTHS value of Motul 0w40 or any other 0w40 for that matter?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Interesting, I never thought of that. Does anyone know the HTHS value of Motul 0w40 or any other 0w40 for that matter?

HTHS: 3.66
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:
Give it a try! Dunno if this engine is related, but it worked well for G-Man II's Olds minivan (3.4L), UOA here. Harsh winter conditions, short-trip driving too.

Only 1 ppm lead, and this is soon after a repaired intake gasket coolant leak!

Not "soon" after. About 2 years after, actually.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

It's HTHS of 3.6 is not really impressive for a middle 40wt oil though, you could choose from a lot of 5w30 or 0w30 oils out there which have an HTHS value almost the same as Mobil 1 0w40.

What would those be? My data sheets are a bit old, but other than GC, most 30wts. I see are about 3.1 to 3.3 range similar to M1.

Amsoil 5w30 or 0w30, the new Quaker State synthetic 5w30 (supposedly), Schaeffer's 5w30, all have an HTHS of around 3.5. Redline 5w30 has an HTHS of 3.8!

dude, that 3.8l V6 is the BEST V6 engine ever built by GM. It is **** near bullet proof once you put the new intake manifold gasket on. The 3.3l is right next to it. You can just about use any oil, as long as you change it when you should and a good filter too. I've had all types of oil in mine, even did the Slick 50 thing back in the mid-90's. 180K, not drinking oil or loss of compression at all. The engine will outlast the car easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back