Mobil 1 0W-40 - VW 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I almost forgot turbos spin at 10,000 - 20,000 rpm +

More like 100,000 - 200,000 rpm. Mine sees 180,000 daily.

That high?...I was thinking around 50,000 rpm, but didn't want anyone to accuse me of exaggeration.

I have a pretty hefty Garrett. I don't think it spins THAT fast.....wow!

quote:

That high?...I was thinking around 50,000 rpm, but didn't want anyone to accuse me of exaggeration.

I have a pretty hefty Garrett. I don't think it spins THAT fast.....wow!

Most larger ones don't. The K03/K04 series turbos used on the 1.8T VW/Audi engines are very small and spin very fast to move enough air. The entire compressor housing is about the size of my fist.

It's remarkable to me that Audi recommends 10k drain intervals on their 1.8T A4's. These are turbocharged and have only 4 quart sumps. I also know that many of their dealers put Castrol GTX into these cars during the "free service" period and this dino oil is expected to go 10k miles. Does Audi know what they are doing or is it a way to screw the customer to save a few bucks on maintenance costs?

quote:

Originally posted by VeeDubb:
It's remarkable to me that Audi recommends 10k drain intervals on their 1.8T A4's. These are turbocharged and have only 4 quart sumps. I also know that many of their dealers put Castrol GTX into these cars during the "free service" period and this dino oil is expected to go 10k miles. Does Audi know what they are doing or is it a way to screw the customer to save a few bucks on maintenance costs?

You got me, man. Audi fills them with ACEA A5 0W-30 synthetic at the factory, and if it's not chipped or driven short intervals then the 10K is probably fine on that oil. I can't imagine running conventional oil for that long, especially in a chipped car. It will get even more interesting when they release the 190hp version, which is pretty close to what the current ones put out with a chip, and try to run for 10K on that one.

quote:

You got me, man. Audi fills them with ACEA A5 0W-30 synthetic at the factory, and if it's not chipped or driven short intervals then the 10K is probably fine on that oil. I can't imagine running conventional oil for that long, especially in a chipped car. It will get even more interesting when they release the 190hp version, which is pretty close to what the current ones put out with a chip, and try to run for 10K on that one. [/QB]

dbrowne,
Do you know if we can get some of this ACEA A5 0w-30 in the U.S.? If so, would you recommend it over the 5w-40 grade that VW recommends?

A5 is pretty new - Ted (TooSlick) would be the one to ask about where to get it/which oils meet the spec. I haven't seen anything on the shelves in the U.S. that mentions it, and we may not see it until there are enough manufacturers requiring it.

quote:

Originally posted by VeeDubb:
dbrowne,
Do you know if we can get some of this ACEA A5 0w-30 in the U.S.? If so, would you recommend it over the 5w-40 grade that VW recommends?

All of the Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0/5/10W-30s are A5 rated. But, for a turbo, I'd still go with the A3 rated 0W-40. Or the D1, like TooSlick & Sprintman suggest.

[ February 06, 2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Greg Netzner ]

quote:

before I became a sales weasel.
Hahaha, you just called yourself a weasel! That's refreshing in a way...

Turbos tear the cr@p out of petroleum oils, coking and ultimate turbo death will shortly ensue...if cool downs are not practiced, etc....

I read good things about the pre-luber and pre-turbo-luber years back in an article (Car & Driver?) More info at
http://www.preluber.com/TypesFrameSet.htm
but I almost screamed when I saw the prices, so it's not like I'm doing a testimonial for them. Certainly makes sense but I doubt I'll be buying one any time soon...

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Wear rates with Mobil 1, 5w-30 and 10w-30 are acceptable for 90%-95% of the street applications out there...I'd either run a thicker Mobil 1 product or I'd go to Redline or Amsoil.
TooSlick

An Amsoil seller not putting down other oils? I was reluctant to join this forum, I thought I'd always get heat for chosing something other than Amsoil, you acknowlege that these oils are good, I commend you. I just might get a membership!
Quick poll: A lot of you read The Motor Oil Bible by Kaufmann? He's a good guy. I have the physical book as well as the CD.
Cheers!
Rob

rob t.o.n. we try to call them as we see them - I try not to say bad things about any products (other than Duralube, et al) - The only time I get testy is when someone just start ragging on Amsoil, just slathering at the mouth stuff, as if Amsoil can't make marketing claims, yet all other oil companies are free to say whatever....oh sorry

There was a thread or two on that book - do a search (I think it's an OK read, but hang here for a few weeks and you'll know as much, plus here you can waste more hours -for free
rolleyes.gif
)

[ February 07, 2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Somebody posted good figures recently for Redline 5W40 in a turbo. Delvac 1 pretty useful oil too IMO.

That was "tyrolkid". He ran it hard in a car similar to mine (with even more mods) and got great numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back