Mobil 1 0W/40 Porsche 911 2006 Miles 64,651

It's certainly a red flag. I'm no engineer nor chemist and not familiar with your engine. Further consultation is needed with a Master Mechanic. Must be the older version of Mobil 0W40? I would call Blackstone on Monday and ask to speak with a chemist concerning this UOA. They are happy to help. Good luck sir!

Nice car!

Total miles? Did you check the element for metal or anything else (cam guide pieces, etc.)? Any other symptoms?

I use heavier oils in ours; M1 5W or 15W-50. the 5W is Porsche A40 approved.

Nice car!

Total miles? Did you check the element for metal or anything else (cam guide pieces, etc.)? Any other symptoms?

I use heavier oils in ours; M1 5W or 15W-50. the 5W is Porsche A40 approved.
Thats the weird part. The Filter looks perfect, engine makes no weird noise, and the car runs perfect. Heavier oil sounds like a good idea.

I would run another shorter interval and if the wear metals still warrant concern, I would do a compression check and maybe borescope the cylinders. Bore scoring comes to mind, but it is rare and your aluminum is low, but a check of the cylinders can't hurt.

May be time to talk to a good local Porsche indy....

I would run another shorter interval and if the wear metals still warrant concern, I would do a compression check and maybe borescope the cylinders. Bore scoring comes to mind, but it is rare and your aluminum is low, but a check of the cylinders can't hurt.

May be time to talk to a good local Porsche indy....
Yeah I am going to. do that and try a heavier oil next. Great suggestions.

IMS bearing failure.
Maybe but unlikely, the IMS doesn't explain the Cu and Pb, also there may/should be some debris in the filter element from the bearing and maybe the bearing seal if the IMS was on its way out. Also the very early and later (2005+) IMS bearings are less prone to issues.....yet.

Last edited:
Not uncommon happening to the 3,8 sadly. On my 3,6 there is another solution for the one problematic IMS bearing, but in reality there is two IMS bearings in these engines, as this is an InterMediate Shaft for the driving of the cams. Not usual that the other end goes (spec. the gen 2 bearing), but nothing is impossible. In this it would be the gen 3 bearing which is somewhat better. Would probably go for a low VII/high base oil viscosity oil on this 3,8 because of the common problems with it.

Everyone throwing "IMS Bearing" around.

If that is what is causing the increased iron in the oil no amount of thicker oil will help you - as the bearing is not oil lubricated. It will continue to dump metal into the oil, and it is rebuild time - waiting for it to fail catastrophically will only increase your cost. Unfortunately for you, the M97 requires the cases to be split to replace the bearing - DO NOT use the "reaming kit" available.

There are, unfortunately, a number of modes of failure for the M96/M97 engines - their earned they're reputation as glass cannons. They suffer:

IMS failure
D chunk
Bore scoring
Lifter failure
Rod bearing failure
Tensioner failure
Thrust bearing failure

To name a few.

If it were my car, I would contact a knowledgeable and trustworthy P-car shop and have a conversation. Be prepared - you're not going to like what anyone has to say.

IMS failure
D chunk
Bore scoring
Lifter failure
Rod bearing failure
Tensioner failure
Thrust bearing failure All absolutely true and great advise at the end BTW.

I think the 2006 was a re design and the IMS is an internal shaft bearing not external like the previous generation. Much less prone to failure, but not failure proof. I'm not saying that's the problem, most people find metal in the oil filter and by that time it's way to late in the degradation of the bearing and severe engine damage has occurred. It's a possible source. Most people don't do oil analysis. If the IMS is walking around or allowing any movement it could be scrubbing iron particles large enough to cause streaks through the bearings. Who know's I'm only 3 beer's in.

Last edited:
Back