First UOA - 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera S 3.8 Mobil 1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my first UOA from Blackstone for my 911 - 2006 C2S 3.8L Mobil 1 0W-40 with 3700 miles on the oil and roughly 1 year old. I welcome anyone's input. A concern with this engine is cylinder bore scoring. The aluminum and iron values are slightly concerning, but I will leave it to the experts to provide their two cents. Thanks very much.

FYI: After I drained the Mobil 1, I changed the oil from Mobil 1 0W-40 to Driven DT40 5W-40 and changed the oil filter to a Napa Gold filter with spin-on adapter from LN Engineering per the recommendation of Flat 6 Innovations. I'm going to send my next oil sample out to Blackstone and Speeddiagnostix for comparison

[Linked Image]

5 ppm aluminum and 14 ppm iron aren't anything to be concerned about, IMHO.

That is compared to "universal averages" (For what it is worth)

I still don't think those are bad numbers at all.

I have a 911 to post also that I forgot about, I think its an 07 so they should be close for you to compare. Ill post it later or tomorrow.

I would ignore the universal avg and comments from Blackstone. Worthless info in my opinion. A single UOA does not tell you too much except the engine looks in good shape. But trending is the important thing to head towards. I like to get TBN and I know Blackstone charges extra, that is why I use NAPA for $16.00 since it includes TBN.

Originally Posted by Audios
I have a 911 to post also that I forgot about, I think its an 07 so they should be close for you to compare. Ill post it later or tomorrow.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Donald
I would ignore the universal avg and comments from Blackstone. Worthless info in my opinion. A single UOA does not tell you too much except the engine looks in good shape. But trending is the important thing to head towards. I like to get TBN and I know Blackstone charges extra, that is why I use NAPA for $16.00 since it includes TBN.

You're not the first I've heard mention Blackstone comments are worthless, primarily because they are not aware of the symptoms of cylinder bore scoring on these engines. It seems iron, aluminum, and silicon are the big three to look for. I'm interested to see how the Driven DT40 does in about 5k miles. Thanks for recommending NAPA - I had no idea they did UOA.

Number look good. How is it driven? Is it tracked, pushed hard on back roads or leisurely cruising on weekends? 3 qt of makeup oil in 5k miles?

Originally Posted by dbias
Number look good. How is it driven? Is it tracked, pushed hard on back roads or leisurely cruising on weekends? 3 qt of makeup oil in 5k miles?

It's now daily driven - hard on back roads to and from work, school dropoff and pickup, and errands. I spend most of my time between 3k-4k when I'm not pushing it. The majority of the time this oil was in the engine it was a once or twice weekly. The oil consumption has dropped significantly - none after 1000 miles on the new oil.

Originally Posted by LotI
So you run the engine 3-4K RPM when puttering around? Under no load? Any reason?

The engine loves revs. Nobody is home below 3k. The engine is better off spinning at that RPM than chugging along at or under 2k.

Originally Posted by OakenGoby
Originally Posted by LotI
So you run the engine 3-4K RPM when puttering around? Under no load? Any reason?

The engine loves revs. Nobody is home below 3k. The engine is better off spinning at that RPM than chugging along at or under 2k.

I run mine the same way. 3k and over.

Glad you switched over to DT40! I use Liqui Moly 5w-40 in my 03 911.

Concur on the revs, these engines love 3-4K range. One important note, that's AFTER the oil is warmed up! Before that keep it below 2K and putz around till it's warmed up.

Porshe's are built to be driven hard and rev.

Results look good - glad to hear you are enjoying the car!

Originally Posted by Porscheman
Results are good

Very smart move to switch to a 5W-40 oil, i never use Mobil 1 0W-40 in my Carerra S, only 5W-40, you can read my latest UOA, search "Porscheman"

My 911 have passed 96000 miles, NO scoring, no nothing, i also use the spin-on oil filter adapter, and i use only Royal Purple filters

Why is that?

Did you see scoring with Mobil 1 0W-40?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Porscheman
Results are good

Very smart move to switch to a 5W-40 oil, i never use Mobil 1 0W-40 in my Carerra S, only 5W-40, you can read my latest UOA, search "Porscheman"

My 911 have passed 96000 miles, NO scoring, no nothing, i also use the spin-on oil filter adapter, and i use only Royal Purple filters

Why is that?

Did you see scoring with Mobil 1 0W-40?

excessive oil consumption….

I've been using Mobil 1 0W-40 FS in my Boxster 2.7 liter 6 cylinder and have not had any consumption issues. That even includes a dozen 6000 to 7000+ rpm Tail of the Dragon runs and over 5000 miles now since last change a year and a half ago. I'm pretty sure the 2.7 liter 6 is pretty similar to the newer 3.8 liter 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back