Mobil 1 0W-40 Current PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say the new Redline 0W40 is looking better every day for my BMW. I'm in the RX rinse phase with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (PP Euro 5W40), which is ester and PAO free. This engine has had M1 0W40 changed every 5,000 miles (8,000kms) during it's life (75,000kms). I didn't expect RX to do much but the results have made me seriously rethink going back to M1 0W40. Also BMW stealerships have just moved from M1 0W40 to Castrol Edge 0W40.

Apparently there is a track version of Mobil 1 0w-40 that Porsche uses. They don't always use the off shelf version. Nothing new there..

I just hope with every PDS change that the oil gets better. As technology in additives, base stocks, VII's/VM's.... improves, we can hope that the oil is better too.

Even though I'm on a 0w20 'MPG trip', I'm seriously considering switching to 0w40 everywhere. Just enjoying a quieter engine is better for my tinnitus, and MPG loss isn't much(pumping parasitic loss vs compression increase).

Its not a race oil. But any daily driver that needs a 5w30 or 10w30 should be able to use it.

Noone here is crazy. M1 datasheets change regularly.

I was thinking of throwing the 0w-40 in the Honda 2.4L to see if it curbs oil consumption a bit.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
...... I didn't expect RX to do much but the results have made me seriously rethink going back to M1 0W40............

Sprintman what do you mean by the above the above comment?

RX did little cleaning and you are impressed by the cleaning power of M1 0w40 ?

Originally Posted By: buster
It's not a perfect oil, but it does have a really impressive OEM approvals and specs.

+1 This! We've used M1 0W-40 in all our SAAB 9-5s since 2002 or thereabouts. I did the first couple changes with the 0W-30 (in the manual), but then, after some research, switched to the M1 0W-40. Now that we're on our third 9-5, it is the manufacturer & dealer recommended oil. I change every 5K and use a NAPA Gold (Wix) 1348 filter, and have no consumption and great performance. It appears to keep the 'ol sludge monster at bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back