Mobil 1 0W-40, 2000 Mercedes E55 AMG 4000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the site so I thought I would add an oil analysis from my W210 2000 Mercedes E55 AMG. Just a little background on the car... I purchased this on ebay spring of 2018. From the condition received it, I would assume that maintenance was starting to be ignored. I changed the oil when I got it using an OEM filter and Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula. I drove it for about 4000 miles and changed the oil in the fall before I stored it for the winter (these cars are notorious for rusting). The silicon could be from when I changed the valve cover gaskets including the oil breather covers that require using RTV sealant. The iron I'm not too concerned about. We'll see what the next analysis has.

E55 Oil.PNG

That's sheared a little. While I understand it may take a few OCI's to discover a true baseline that UOA doesn't look too impressive for an M1 oil.

If you're parking it up during the colder months I would be looking to close up the winter rating and viscosity a little. Maybe look for a synthetic 15w40 HDEO? Rotella T6?

I forgot to mention that during this period I was chasing down a fuel trim issue (P0170 and P0173). After changing every vacuum hose I could get my hands on, changing the MAF and several other parts, I broke down and took it to a mechanic (I'm stubborn
smirk2.gif
) Found it to be the gaskets between the intake manifold and heads were leaking. The fuel in the oil isn't high, but maybe that attributed to this UOA?

Ahh good info.

So not just GM V6, the Germans too with LIM sucking air.

If you are going to do a short OCI you may not want to use a LL lubricant to possibly get better wear control.

Enjoy the car!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Ahh good info.

So not just GM V6, the Germans too with LIM sucking air.

If you are going to do a short OCI you may not want to use a LL lubricant to possibly get better wear control.

Enjoy the car!

LL means long life? Yes I don't anticipate putting many miles on the oil. Maximum 5K. I didn't know a non-LL oil would be better in that instance. What oils would you recommend?

Originally Posted by zeng
Funny and unusual that fuel dilution appears to contribute to increased metal wear rates.

It's not the fuel dulution it's the extra silicon if it was fuel dilution caused there would be bearing wear not just iron.

I would use the MB 5-40 in that car. I bought a 2ooo CLK 430 that did not have great maintenance records. I changed the oil to the MB 5-40 and put some Liquimoly Lifter cleaner and it really smoothed out and quieted down. It's stored indoors in FL until winter. Going to leave that oil in for another yr or two because I only do about 1500 miles a year. Your engine was designed for Mobil 1 5-40M which was made for MB. It is still available online. I figure the MB 5-40 is nearly the same, probably made by Mobil as it's 229.5.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Cool car, always liked them.

Me too! I consider this era of AMG's the last to be relatively simple to wrench on. No turbocharging/supercharging, no air suspension, no complex electronics. Just add a big dumb V8 with upgraded wheels and brakes compared to the regular E model.

Originally Posted by loneryder
I would use the MB 5-40 in that car. I bought a 2ooo CLK 430 that did not have great maintenance records. I changed the oil to the MB 5-40 and put some Liquimoly Lifter cleaner and it really smoothed out and quieted down. It's stored indoors in FL until winter. Going to leave that oil in for another yr or two because I only do about 1500 miles a year. Your engine was designed for Mobil 1 5-40M which was made for MB. It is still available online. I figure the MB 5-40 is nearly the same, probably made by Mobil as it's 229.5.

This ENGINE was never designed for 5W-40 ! It's a Wrong statement !
When M112/113 were engineered..at that time even 229.1 wasn't available !
But 229.1 stand close to that era ...

The Mobil1 0w40 is a great choice for this engine. If it was being raced or driven very hard, you could upgrade to Ravenol REP 5w30 HTHS 3.7 oil, or maybe Redline 5w30 with the same HTHS.
As it is, the Mobil1 meets Mercedes 229.5 which will work well. Either this or Castrol 0w40 is a bargain at walmart as well.
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
you may not want to use a LL lubricant to possibly get better wear control.
Mobil1 0w40 is already an "LL" oil, assuming you're trying to say long life. Any 229.5 is a robust oil.

Originally Posted by Cheburashka
Originally Posted by loneryder

This ENGINE was never designed for 5W-40 ! It's a Wrong statement !
When M112/113 were engineered..at that time even 229.1 wasn't available !
But 229.1 stand close to that era ...

Originally Posted by kschachn
What are you talking about that an engine isn't designed for 5W-40?

It was designed for HTHS 3.5, and longevity occurs with ANY 229.5 oil. Any weight 0w40 or 5w40 or 10w40 (10w shouldn't be used in cold weather of course!).

My thread is revived!

I will be changing out the oil sometime this month. It's only gone about 3000 miles this year but it will be a year in the car. It will go into winter storage soon and I like it to have fresh oil for that. I'm going to put M1 0w-40 in it again as it's cheap at Wally World and with the miles I drive on this car, I'm sure it works just fine. I'm not against putting a 5W-40 in it, but it's hard to find approved 5W-40 for as cheap as M1 or Edge 0W-40.

Long story short, I should have another UOA by the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back