MMO improved performance, what does it indicate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMO is mostly relatives of kerosene. It will get behind some deposits, not a lot. If the ring lands were a bit gummy, it could have loosened them a bit. But the fact that your motor responded to an additive at all, suggests that it has issues with deposits and/or varnish ...

BG109 or KREEN will not loosen stuff in waterfall amounts, so they don't clog motors. It works on parts that are rubbing or opening and closing like disc valves, etc. W/o the activity, it does not do a lot. A bazzillion folks have used both and never lost an engine. So if you have known deposits, I'd rather get them loosened and away from parts they can effect.

I can't get KREEN shipped into Cali
frown.gif
If I could, it would go in every motor that was new to me. 3,000 miles later I'd do the oil change, and use BG109 out to 5,000 and then at least the next three or four changes ...

As it is, for motors with mileage under their belts, I use a can of BG109 every change. My wife's JAG, the Bronco (218K and counting), and the new to us truck will get it. In a few years, the motor will be spotless. I could do that in a year with KREEN and three changes
smile.gif

Ring lands, hydraulic lifters and variable valve timing are all areas that are adversely affected deposits and varnish. And cleaning each can add to performance and improved mileage. The fuel reduction relieves the engine of fuel dilution getting by the rings which leads to further varnish ...

Regular old every day sludge on valve covers and such does not do much harm. A motor with parts that are free to do what they are supposed to do is the goal. You are part way there. Finish the job somehow and you will be happier with your ride
smile.gif

If you drain the oil from your engine and use water you will be AMAZED at the throttle response. For a couple of days anyways...

100 mile trip. Is this typical or do you normally drive short distances? Every single car I've ever owned seems to have performed better the week or so after a long drive. For instance, I used to drive 95% city, 10-15 miles each day for work. After a few weeks to a month I'd get some time for a long drive. After a 2+ hr drive things were much improved.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
100 mile trip. Is this typical or do you normally drive short distances? Every single car I've ever owned seems to have performed better the week or so after a long drive. For instance, I used to drive 95% city, 10-15 miles each day for work. After a few weeks to a month I'd get some time for a long drive. After a 2+ hr drive things were much improved.

This is the correct answer and has been my exact experience as well. Some vehicles the difference is very dramatic. Currently the Buick and the Falco gain the most with the truck its less noticeable. My Pathy is a 5 speed and needs to be driven more aggressively to keep up in traffic however the Buick is the exact opposite and rarely needs to go over 3k rpm in everyday city driving. My bike has a very rich tune and is more prone to carbon buildup if it doesn't get opened up on the regular.

I can duplicate this affect with a basic water decarbonization or seafoaming.

yeah rings, valvetrain, less sludge less friction. Shoot out your throttle body too. I did that yesterday with just a 1/3 of a can of throttle body cleaner, shot from all angles within a couple min of shutting down from a 20 min drive.

Let it soak for just a few min and started. also shot Electronic parts cleaner on my MAF wires. Better throttle response and some pep. it had been at least 2 years since I did that

I've been adding 1 oz to 1 gallon in my small engines ( pressure washer, genny, ect ) on a normal basis and just did the same dose on all the vehicles. It made a tremendous difference.

As much as i use mmo, i feel its a waste in the oil/sump.

Current day oil is so clean and strong it won't really change anything

I have cleaned many abuse fleet cars at my previous job just by changing oil sooner. [4k instead of 5k ]

We bought a boat with oil black seperated goooooooooopy oil. Valves were really Grimey, the guy i bought it from said it was 14 year old oil.

4 quarts of 15w40 and 1 qt marvel mystery oil removed an alarming amount of black from the case.

Yet, the very next full synthetic change did to.

Same with the 3rd change.

Ect.

I have been using MMO in the crankcase since 1976. To put it bluntly: it works!
I always leave it in the entire oil change typically to 5000 miles, also on occasion out to 7500 miles.
I hope you purchased the MMO a while ago--like prior to 1/1/17, as we are not sure of the contents of the new formula marketed 1/1/17. Starting this year, the manufacturer (or any manufacturer) is not allowed to include the chlorine compounds --which IMO, were responsible for a lot of the effect of MMO. The new bottles have a small yellow flag on the upper left of the label on the MMO bottle. I was able to acquire about 12 quarts of the old stuff until about April of this year, when old supplies ran out.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back