MKIII Hyundai Accent (2006-2011)

Congratulations!

A few notes from someone who loves and lives the car business.

1) Go ahead and replace all the fluids and filters. This generation offers plenty of easy access and the repairs are fairly simple to do.

2) These vehicles are designed for use, not abuse. If you use it to keep up with traffic it will likely live past 250k miles. But these engines don't do well with constant high revs. Even back then Hyundai's had issues with oil leaks and oil burning.

3) Which brings me to the most important ingredients in the recipe. New fluids. New filters. A drop and fill on the transmission fluid and quality replacement parts.

You do all that and it will be a keeper.

Congratulations!

A few notes from someone who loves and lives the car business.

1) Go ahead and replace all the fluids and filters. This generation offers plenty of easy access and the repairs are fairly simple to do.

2) These vehicles are designed for use, not abuse. If you use it to keep up with traffic it will likely live past 250k miles. But these engines don't do well with constant high revs. Even back then Hyundai's had issues with oil leaks and oil burning.

3) Which brings me to the most important ingredients in the recipe. New fluids. New filters. A drop and fill on the transmission fluid and quality replacement parts.

You do all that and it will be a keeper.
Found some records in the glove box for 7 oil changes and 1 coolant change between April of 2021 and day I bought it. I changed oil asap anyways. Will change manual transmission fluid soon. Plan to replace brake fluid when I do brakes all around, likely around December.

Replaced a few things last night:
- Timing belt with its idler and tensioner (tensioner not pictured).
- All 3 serpentine belts.
- AC Idler pulley. That sucker was like a loud cricket for last couple months. Surprised it didn't fully seize, there was no lube left in the bearings. Glad it's all quiet again.
- Water pump.
- Coolant.
20230119_194735_(1).jpg

In other news... So, this set of 17" Miata wheels is gone.
20221018_180615_HDR.jpg

It got traded off for a set of 14" Miata BBS wheels and a set of Scion FRS seats. Wheels are on the Accent (pics coming soon) and look more proportional to the body. Did create a heck of a wheel gap, but I plan to attack that with a set of lowering springs.
Have yet to make bracket adapters to bolt the FRS seats in. Made 4 out of 8 brackets so far, just gotta finish that up, but life keeps getting in the way. FRS seats are smaller than Accent seats, but fit me better somehow. So they're definitely going in. Surprisingly Hyundai seat belt buckles work with Scion seat belt anchor. Clicks in like it was made to be. :sneaky:
IMG_6933__02353.jpg
IMG-7932.jpg

Last edited:
I dig it 🫡
Glad you got on the belt drive, it seems every one I hear has belt squeal
How basic is it? 😳
Looks like a GS, does it have the popular equipment or premium packages?
SE models had a B&M™ sport shifter, you should find one on eBay 😂
Well... No power anything, all manual. Gotta "row the boat" to open/close windows. Gotta wiggle the door nipple to adjust sideview mirrors. No central locking either, so I always gotta manually close all 3 doors. No cruise control. Surprised it has AC and CD/AUX. Speakers are blown out though, gotta swap them out in the future. Using my KOVE Split Bluetooth speaker for now.

Last edited:
Well... My hatch and doors are all key operated. No power anything, all manual. Gotta "row the boat" to open/close windows. Gotta wiggle the door nipple to adjust sideview mirrors. No central locking either, so I always gotta manually close all 3 doors. No cruise control. Surprised it has AC and CD/AUX. Speakers are blown out though, gotta swap them out in the future. Using my KOVE Split Bluetooth speaker for now.
Wow 😲
It's got whatcha say windows 😂
Screenshot_20230120-152822.jpg

So looks like yours is a base GS with the PE package
More than fair trade for the Honda IMO 🤌
Time to search the salvage yards and pull the goodies from higher trim levels
I bet the wirings there for power locks/cruise/fog lights
Keep it up, looks sharp 👍

Time to search the salvage yards and pull the goodies from higher trim levels
I bet the wirings there for power locks/cruise/fog lights
That's what I'm wondering, but my search yielded no results... So either the wiring isn't there, or no one online has ever done it in all these years. I did find an aftermarket cruise control system, but not ready to shell out $350-$400 yet... B&M Sport Shifter is ~$130. Yay. Definitely adding that one to the to-do list.

Last edited:
Due to work schedule, I won't see any daylight this weekend. So nighttime parking lot pics will have to do for now.

Carolina squat is real lol. I guess my tool set, a few gallons of motor oil (duh bitog), a set of FRS seats, a new starter in the box, and a set of lowering springs in a box, are all enough to reallyyy drop the rear... Still gets 32MPG though, so that's nice. When empty - it got 37MPG.
20230120_192453_HDR_(1)-01.jpeg
20230120_192423_HDR_(1)-01.jpeg

Back