3G Hyundai Accent Timing Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006-2009 Hyundai Accent 1.6L Alpha II 110 bhp
Timing Belt RI 60,000 miles / 48 Months

2010-2011 Hyundai Accent 1.6L Alpha II 110 bhp
Timing Belt RI 90,000 miles / 108 Months

Their both 3rd Generation Accents with the same engine. Part number for replacement timing belt is the same.

I have a 2007 with 23,300 miles and Im trying to figure out if it really needs a timing belt or not.

I would get one, it's 5 years old and the rubber doesn't last forever. Better safe than sorry.

Even with the longer interval, 108 months doesn't sound right, that's 9 years.

I'd change it, could be that the OEM belt on your current car is an older part number and that it's since been updated to the newer part number.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Even with the longer interval, 108 months doesn't sound right, that's 9 years.

I'd change it, could be that the OEM belt on your current car is an older part number and that it's since been updated to the newer part number.

I agree that the 9 years sounds a little long.
Of course 4 years sounds a little short.

Most of the belt manufacturers recommend 6-7 years.

I suspect the 60,000 / 48 Month interval is a carry over from the Neoprene Belts used in the older cars. All 1.6L Apha II's used EPDM Belts.
However it is possible that later belts are improved compared to older belts.

The new belt intervals were introduced when they reworked the complete maintenance intervals.

Originally Posted By: Gene K

However it is possible that later belts are improved compared to older belts.

The new belt intervals were introduced when they reworked the complete maintenance intervals.

You'd think if the newer belts were improved they'd have a new part number though.

Tough call.

I'd go by miles and excessive heat as belt change guides.
Years are only a rough guide if you put the average 12k per year on a car.

Interference or non-interference? If it was non-interference, I would just drive until the belt failed.

Anyway, when I see a belt fail, it usually fails at 9 years, so I would replace after 8 years.

OEM 2005-2011 Alpha II 1.6L Timing Belt is the Gates T282. Apparently the differences in interval are not due to a belt change.

Gates recommends 6 years or 60,000 miles for this belt.
Hyundai says 48 Months / 60,000 miles (30,000 or 37,500 miles Severe Duty) in early manuals.
108 Months or 90,000 miles (60,000 Miles Severe Duty) in the later manuals.

I think Im going with 6 years. It will still likely have less than 30,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back