MKIII Hyundai Accent (2006-2011)

Trying to get some feedback on this particular model. One is somewhat falling in my lap, and I'm trying to see if I should pet it or kick it away. Looking at a 2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback, "MC" body code as pictured. (But I believe they're all the same 2006-2011.) It has just under 150k miles, comes with a 1.6L 4-banger and a 5-speed manual. I know Elantra of this era is considered the best Elantra ever made. Does this fame for a reliable commuter spread onto the Accent too? Since these engines are more oldschool (pre-GDI era), I'm hoping they're more reliable. Any weak spots in this drivetrain/powertrain combo? Thoughts? Any personal experiences you can share?
2009-hyundai-accent-gs-2dr-hatchback-4a-dark-sapphire-blue-composite-large.jpg

Trying to get some feedback on this particular model. One is somewhat falling in my lap, and I'm trying to see if I should pet it or kick it away. Looking at a 2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback, "MC" body code as pictured. (But I believe they're all the same 2006-2011.) It has just under 150k miles, comes with a 1.6L 4-banger and a 5-speed manual. I know Elantra of this era is considered the best Elantra ever made. Does this fame for a reliable commuter spread onto the Accent too? Since these engines are more oldschool (pre-GDI era), I'm hoping they're more reliable. Any weak spots in this drivetrain/powertrain combo? Thoughts? Any personal experiences you can share?
View attachment 120977
My friends mother has that generation Accent and it’s been very reliable. The pre-GDI 1.6L gamma engine is solid. Hers is an automatic but hasn’t had any issues, I’m sure the manual will be fine too. I had an Elantra from those years and it was the best car I’ve had so far. 👍

I'm not very knowledgeable of the Accent, but I just got an '07 Sonata, so from that era. Great car, I know I've barely owned it but I know it's been reliable for its previous owners.

You just need to be ok with some cheapo cheesy-ness of things like door handles, interior plastic, that kind of stuff. It's an econobox. But reliability wise I don't see why it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm not so sure I'd want to be packing on some highway miles in one but for short distances, probably ok.

I'm not very knowledgeable of the Accent, but I just got an '07 Sonata, so from that era. Great car, I know I've barely owned it but I know it's been reliable for its previous owners.

You just need to be ok with some cheapo cheesy-ness of things like door handles, interior plastic, that kind of stuff. It's an econobox. But reliability wise I don't see why it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm not so sure I'd want to be packing on some highway miles in one but for short distances, probably ok.
The plan is to let it carry me to work and errands efficiently. But Google algorithms blessed me with this picture of a rally nugget, so it may be more than just a commuter afterall... Unless some crazy model-specific issues convince me to stay away from it.
1633490971_img_1172_mmthumb.jpg

The plan is to let it carry me to work and errands efficiently. But Google algorithms blessed me with this picture of a rally nugget, so it may be more than just a commuter afterall... Unless some crazy model-specific issues convince me to stay away from it.
View attachment 120986
Well, Google can provide you with a pic for anything. Like Yugo rally-cars. Cause those sure were great race cars.....

C6FB032C-F815-418E-B89F-9D7E75B6BCD6.jpeg

Had a red and a white 09 and found them very nice to drive in town or on the highway. No major issues to worry about except maybe the auto transmission on any 150K mile car with no history. With a manual you're golden. Clutch is probably a DIY job. Assume you get it under $2K, and so if it lasts a year, you got your monies worth.

001.jpg

001.jpg

Well, the deed is done. I traded my scooter, 2001 Honda Reflex (NSS250) for this pinnacle of Korean engineering. Put about 100 miles on it today, and am quite impressed! Love it, hopefully that love isn't just a "honeymoon" phase, and I actually get to keep it for some time. And hopefully it won't give me any issues during that time. Well, here it is: 2009 Hyundai Accent, 1.6L & 5-speed manual. New wheels+tires are definitely on to-do list. Otherwise this nugget doesn't need much, so far. Maybe lowering springs, good shocks, and nice wheels/tires. Not too worried about all dents and scratches, it's just a commuter afterall. But in case of a deer strike - it should protect me better than the scooter could. Main question is - would I be able to hit 40MPG on this nugget? Time will show...
20221015_172856_HDR.jpg
20221015_172905_HDR.jpg

Very good cars, keep an eye on the oil level, ‘some’ HM pre-GDI 1.6’s can burn oil.
The GDI ones are definetly worse for burning oil, though.

Very good cars, keep an eye on the oil level, ‘some’ HM pre-GDI 1.6’s can burn oil.
The GDI ones are definetly worse for burning oil, though.
Good to know, I'll definitely keep an eye on it. So far I fed it the onions a few times on highway ramps, and it accelerated without complaining, and without any smoke out the tailpipe. When I changed the oil - was happy to find that engine is dry all around, no leaks or sweats. Not bad for 149.9k miles. And pretty peppy for a 1.6L, but I guess the low weight of the hatchback and manual transmission assist in that perception.

These are timing belt motors right? Any history of it having the timing belt replaced?
As far as I know - it hasn't been replaced. So I'm currently shopping for a kit. And trying to repair everything to pass inspection. Driver's sideview mirror and windshield have long cracks. Both need replacement. Tires are bold, but I found a set of 17" Miata wheels with same bolt pattern and brand new tires for $250, So that should take care of thread depth part of the safety inspection. After passing all that and getting proper tags - timing belt should arrive and I'll know that out. Shouldn't be too complicated.

Back