Mixing old 2 cycle gas in John Deere riding mower.

I have a couple gallons of 50:1 pre mix gas left over, and I’m wondering if I can get rid of it slowly if mixed in my riding mower?

You could but it would take forever since you are dealing with such a small tank.
I dump mine in my truck, and then fill up the truck.
An 18 gallon tank vs. a maybe 1.5 gallon tank makes dilution easier.

You could but it would take forever since you are dealing with such a small tank.
I dump mine in my truck, and then fill up the truck.
An 18 gallon tank vs. a maybe 1.5 gallon tank makes dilution easier.
Can’t it hurt the engine in my Toyota?

Dump it in the mower and don't think twice. I've ran my push mower 100% off of last years two cycle mix. I'm pretty picky about what goes in my chain saw but that Briggs push mower if killed wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Last edited:
I've done that many times in the truck or the mower. Mower will run on anything and it get diluted to nothing in a 25 gal tank.

Can’t it hurt the engine in my Toyota?

I've done it for years with no ill effects.
However, I would fill up the vehicle afterwards for maximum dilution.
If you wanted to, you could space it out over two intervals, dumping a gallon in the car each time.

I have been running mix in all my OPE whether 2 or 4 cycle. This prevents the wife putting non-mix gas in my leaf blower again! So far it has not caused any problems but worst case scenario I will have to clean the carb more often in the mower.

Last edited:
It's generally not a problem to use mixed 2 stroke fuel in a 4 stroke engine. I'd dilute it about 50% to keep the oil load minimal. I'd avoid using it in an emission controlled car or truck. It won't cause a problem there either, especially if well diluted, but it's not worth taking the admittedly minor risk, as excess oil can overwhelm a catalytic converter at times.

It's good to note that regular gasoline does contain a touch of lubricant, which can sometimes be a tiny bit of oil.

If your vehicle is direct injection i would not put it in that vehicle. It would have no topend lubrication effect and may gum up an expensive injector. Non DI engine vehicle or anything else with a carb is how i do it.

If your vehicle is direct injection i would not put it in that vehicle. It would have no topend lubrication effect and may gum up an expensive injector. Non DI engine vehicle or anything else with a carb is how i do it.
DI in a lawn mower? Never heard that one!

DI in a lawn mower? Never heard that one!
This is referring to burning old 2 stroke engine mix in a Vehicle to get rid of it. Others have suggested to put it in a "Vehicle". Since ive had a DI vehicle ive had injector issues 2 times under warranty which is an expensive fix otherwise. The only thing ill add to fuel in DI engine is PEA at every oil change and jury is still out whether it helps as preventative.

Pour a gallon into your vehicle tank before you fill it up at the gas station. You can use it up really quick that way. The oil content will be very diluted and negligible.

I put 1oz 2-cycle oil in my 5 gallon gas cans as a standard practice. It goes in all my 4-cycle OPE. I also burn it in my motorcycle too, especially when I'm getting it ready to store it over the winter for extra corrosion protection.

I have a couple gallons of 50:1 pre mix gas left over, and I’m wondering if I can get rid of it slowly if mixed in my riding mower?
I do it all the time. Once in a while, I will dump a gallon of old 40:1 into my 1940 9N tractor just before a big mow job. Just like Mikey and Life cereal, it'll eat anything.

Back